(Topic ID: 13470)

Move over JJP, STERN PROC IS BACK

By AkumaZeto

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

st_salescvr3.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #2 12 years ago

Looks interesting, very cool idea but I do not think Stern, JJP or others are worried. It reminds me of the Pinball 2000 plan. They did not destroy the market.

#3 12 years ago

Very cool idea but I wonder if it could be taken a step further. Use a big screen tv on the bottom of the cabinet reflect onto the bottom of the pf. It would still allow the use of scoops and subways, but remove the need for a pf to be silk screened. Only real issue I can see is that the cabinet would get pretty bulky and that dropping screws could scratch the screen, would be neat tho.

#4 12 years ago

Shazaam!!! The future has arrived. Mark my words, this project will be completed. This will find it's way into mainstream pins eventually. No doubt. Even if just small runs, just WOW! I love the concept. It won't replace my other pins, but what a breath of fresh air.

#5 12 years ago

P2k didnt destroy the market but it wasn't fleshed out enough either. SP topple it do to pure pop culture hype.

Its very innovative and cool tech wise. Do i think anyone has anything to worry about nope but i bet this get snagged up fast from one of the big 2 now.

Would be pretty bad Choice if neither of those two would at least purchase the rights and then lock them up.

Either way thought i would share its def cool beans in my book.

#6 12 years ago

Very cool.

People have talked for years about an LCD playfield that would change or re-theme, and now we have it in front of us.

Going to need some new Novus...

#7 12 years ago

I don't like it at all. I like the "mechanical" feel of pinball.
    Putting a screen on the playfield just turns it into a video game.

Might be a good choice for on route, could change the game very easily.

#8 12 years ago

I think this machine is going to be at TPF this weekend

#9 12 years ago

Move Over? Not quite. this looks like more of a bid to market the tech to the manufacturers. Rather than move over, I would say "line up"

I think the cost for this system would be astronomical.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Either way thought i would share its def cool beans in my book.

That is true, def cool.

I am not trying to put it down or resist change, I just try and think about if I were to make the machine, would it work. The The Pin 2000 stuff does the same thing with a holo image. I like playing them but it is not the same. It can get distracting at times. My boys are more into them than myself because they are used to watching multiple items in the game. The plus side of that is that they are the future and we need to bring them into the game. The downside is that they do not have money to actually buy the machines. If they did have the money, I do not think it would hook them enought the get their money.

One of the things I see many people complain about is the lack of real PF artwork or the lower standard of art now. That would allow anyhting to be displayed, but it would not look like the artwork many people miss.

I am not pushing either side, just brainstorming. Many more thoughts but I hate typing.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I don't like it at all. I like the "mechanical" feel of pinball.

Did you watch the video? It's fully mechanical. The screen basically replaces the inserts, honestly - and opens up a whole new world of gameplay and eye candy. Instead of set inserts blinking telling you what to shoot..you can have fully animated characters or spaceships or whatever guiding you to do something, with animated results and scores right there on the playfield so you never have to look up at a backbox display! Imagine playing a MM type game where you had to knock down the wall barrier - and as the ball travels, there are animated flames behind it as it rolls over the screen portion. The possibilities are endless with this thing. It combines the concept of Virtual Pin in the sense of having unlimited games in one cabinet with true physical mechanical pinball! It could have a Mac style App Store where you could download demos and buy new games.

This thing is brilliant. I will buy one.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I'm not sure it would be. Especially if they set it up to sell new tables. The razor/razorblade principal. Sell the razor (machine) for an affordable price - you make your money on the blades (games). The machine itself doesn't have the cost of specific title development....it doesn't have a backbox (well, it could I suppose - to "fit in" with other pinballs) ...it doesn't have inserts. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be less than JJP's WOZ.

#13 12 years ago

I may very well be old fashioned, but I love just some great handdrawn art on the playfield. Computer graphics are ruining everything for me. Cool idea, but I thought that the actual pin2k idea was a lot better one and those games still weren't fun. Not stoked for me, but a cool link nonetheless.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

A 22" touch screen monitor is $250 nowadays, so by replacing the backbox , the DMD, translight and all of the backbox lighting; it should actually come out cheaper.

#15 12 years ago

i don't like it. that's just me.

#16 12 years ago

I like the concept, but I would rather see a bunch of much smaller displays all over the playfield with traditional artwork everywhere else.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I like the concept, but I would rather see a bunch of much smaller displays all over the playfield with traditional artwork everywhere else.

I think that might help me like it too - if there were just a tiny screen down above the flippers or something. Would have to play to judge either way.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Agree. Would like LCD where DMD is in CV and then small LCD where lower playfield is in AC/DC.

#19 12 years ago

more is better. I'm glad to see a new idea that can be taken advantage of.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

I may very well be old fashioned, but I love just some great handdrawn art on the playfield. Computer graphics are ruining everything for me.

You can do hand drawn art and display it on the LCD! High resolution displays can literally look like a painting...or a cartoon...or anything! That's what's amazing about this. You can literally do ANYTHING!

Quoted from guymontag451:

Cool idea, but I thought that the actual pin2k idea was a lot better one and those games still weren't fun. Not stoked for me, but a cool link nonetheless.

Revenge from Mars is SUPER fun!

If pinball is to evolve, this is an amazing step. It would be new and interesting and unique to operators who have pretty much given up on pinball...and provide a value to homeowners AND operators due to the fact of having multiple games in one cabinet!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think the beauty of something like this is that you could easily screen artwork over the entire video surface and choose to reveal or conceal as much of it as you like. There's no reason it has to remain a rectangle. It could be a series of panels or windows over one screen. This way you could have traditional graphics blended with interactive video content. The only limiting factor is on the ability to have PF toys/mechanisms in the lower half of the game... but if they figured out how to drop slingshots in there, anything is possible. And, a lot of pins are wide open in the middle anyway.
    I think it's awesome!

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If pinball is to evolve, this is an amazing step

What he said. This does not have to mean the end of DMD pinball. Just another option. And what an option it is!

#23 12 years ago

Remember the Em guys bitching the ss games didnt have whirs and whistles and bells. Early WmS ss games had chime boxes and whirring reels in the bottom to make the em guys happy. Its a change but if the industry is to survive the next 20 years it needs to happen.

#24 12 years ago

It looks like a hybrid between a classic pinball and a virtual pin. I agree with the idea that they will need to find a way to still have ample toys and mechanisms on the playfield in addition to this to succeed. Maybe they can start by throwing one up on a mini-playfield first.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

AkumaZeto said:http://pinballnews.com/learn/p3/index.html
    Well the rumor is Zombie Adventureland will be PRoc.

???

#27 12 years ago

I don't really like it, I would prefer a standard playfield that don't distract from ball movement. I also like the look of a standard machine with the backglass and graphics. This would look out of place.

I am all for innovation, But I just can't quite figure out what they're trying to do at pinball controllers.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

fact of having multiple games in one cabinet!

Multiple artwork but the physical aspects will not change. This is one thing that people have recently mentioned they did not like. If you take a pin and change the them but not the location of the physical parts, the pin will not feel right and you might even hate it more because you expect a certain reaction and you get something different.

I agree we need something new to keep pinball around and help it grow, just not sure this is the cure. I think it might work with somehting else but I do not feel it is the cure.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Rarehero said:fact of having multiple games in one cabinet!
    Multiple artwork but the physical aspects will not change. This is one thing that people have recently mentioned they did not like. If you take a pin and change the them but not the location of the physical parts, the pin will not feel right and you might even hate it more because you expect a certain reaction and you get something different.
    I agree we need something new to keep pinball around and help it grow, just not sure this is the cure. I think it might work with somehting else but I do not feel it is the cure.

I dont think its a CURE so to speak. I think however it is the most innovative thing since p2k.

#30 12 years ago

I would love to see Stern adopt this technology. To me they are not going to be very competitive against JJP with their current design philosophy. Nothing on AC/DC or even Transformers impresses me that much, especially the design flaws (positioning of Transformers drop target, broken Tron ramps, cracking clearcoat). If Stern isn't going to improve the quality and the design of their games beyond this point, then P3 would be a good choice. It will give them a kick-start and once again assure quality games.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Well the rumor is Zombie Adventureland will be PRoc.

This makes no sense. On Ben's show, he specifically discussed and showed the new board he designed for the game.

#32 12 years ago

WOW - impressive technology!

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Maybe they can start by throwing one up on a mini-playfield first

This is an excellent idea.

#33 12 years ago

I would much prefer a screen embedded in the pf like this than on the bg where I'd never see it during play. Looking forward to it!

#34 12 years ago

Interesting! Something I'd have to actually play before giving an opinion...

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

mnpinball said:Well the rumor is Zombie Adventureland will be PRoc.
    This makes no sense. On Ben's show, he specifically discussed and showed the new board he designed for the game.

Quoted for truth!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #37 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm really surprised at the negativity here concerning this concept....I'm new to Pinside - so maybe I don't know what the general vibe is around here. Are most people here just into EMs or something?

You will get used to it. The same people will come and threadcrap about the same things.

When Medieval Madness came out, everybody complained that it had too many toys, and "was not pinball". Now people worship it like the second coming.

If the LCD makes the game more fun, I'm all for it.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I agree, every video I've watched of ben's, it seems like he's replacing a custom CPU with a type of arduino board (perfectly powerful enough and capable for a pinball machine). He already knows how to program them (and not just logic controlling driver boardss and keeping score, but driving a simplistic FPGA display), it's also cheap, readily available and replaceable, there's no reason why he would choose to use a PROC system whatsoever.

#39 12 years ago

I can see potential for this! I would love to see hologram targets projected from the play field!!!

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

BMore-Pinball said:I don't like it at all. I like the "mechanical" feel of pinball.
    Did you watch the video? It's fully mechanical. The screen basically replaces the inserts, honestly - and opens up a whole new world of gameplay and eye candy. Instead of set inserts blinking telling you what to shoot..you can have fully animated characters or spaceships or whatever guiding you to do something, with animated results and scores right there on the playfield so you never have to look up at a backbox display! Imagine playing a MM type game where you had to knock down the wall barrier - and as the ball travels, there are animated flames behind it as it rolls over the screen portion. The possibilities are endless with this thing. It combines the concept of Virtual Pin in the sense of having unlimited games in one cabinet with true physical mechanical pinball! It could have a Mac style App Store where you could download demos and buy new games.
    This thing is brilliant. I will buy one.

Couldn't agree more.

#41 12 years ago

I hope the BHZA rumor about using this is true.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

I hope the BHZA rumor about using this is true.

It isn't. Sorry.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I don't like it. That's just me.

Neither do I. It looks like a video game. Reminds me of another Baby Pacman.

#44 12 years ago

don't like it, PF look short except the 2 ramps all the action seems to be in the midlle of the PF.
    i have to agree cool technology but will never beat a real good pinball... well not yet!
    i'd buy 10 TZ before i buy that!

#45 12 years ago

I saw this about 8 months ago in a much more raw form.

Very cool idea I would like to see integration not competition.

Thanks for sharing updates.

#46 12 years ago

I think this has potential, and i also think there is room in the industry for a machine like this. I am down for whatever helps pinball live.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

It isn't. Sorry.

Thanks, good to know!

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

mnpinball said:Well the rumor is Zombie Adventureland will be PRoc.

Then maybe it was Magic Girl...

#49 12 years ago

This could have possibilities, all depends how the game plays when created. There have been hundreds of games with pop bumpers, ramps, spinners, flippers and slings and they are not all equal when it comes to fun. Like anything else, curious to see how fun they will/will not be when incorporated into a game. At least it is something different.

#50 12 years ago

I love how open the PRoc system is. I recently invested a bundle in their hardware because it's so open. I look at it as a very wide ranging stable platform to build on, and open if you want to add anything new.

Kudo to Gerry and team for integrating new tech we haven't seen in pinball too.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/move-over-jjp-stern-proc-is-back/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.