Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2840FFD9-52A3-48D7-A2B1-78403C30BB21 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Hi. Yes you should have 27VDC at the brown-orange wire. This is coming from the red wire through the relay coil,and the 27VDC should be present all the way to the driving transistor.

Since you don't see the 27VDC on this side of the relay, you have a problem right at the relay board. Could be an open coil, broken through hole lead under the relay for the relay coil, broken through hole pin on two pin connector for the relay coil, burned or open trace, or failed wire crimp connector. Removing the board and examining with an ohmmeter should quickly identify the fault.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi Wayout,
Thanks for helping me again I appreciate much.
According to you, the problem comes from the relay board.
But, sorry for my naive question, the 27vdc cannot be measured on the CPU. How could the relay be the place of the problem, as earlier the voltage is not present ?
Thanks again

Maybe this visual will help you understand better. In a correctly working pin on the left, the collector of the transistor "switch" will have the source voltage of the solenoid present. This source voltage is present along the entire circuit. When the transistor switch is operated, current begins to flow . In the defective circuit on the right, there is no voltage at the collector of the transistor. Therefore, if even if the transistor driver circuit is operational, there is nothing for the transistor to switch, so no current flows. The driving transistor at the CPU or driver board does not supply power, it PROVIDES ground when turned on.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:Thanks for the clear explanation.
Then I must replace the relay. Strange that the coil has broken with no damage on the transistors.

Your welcome. Not strange at all. The vibration stress on a machine can break all kinds of things. Mechanical relays generate internal mechanical stress. You might find cracked solder around the through hole pins underneath. You might unsolder the relay and see that a lead has broken off. If the relay was stuck on the coil could be damaged. And....you don't know for certain if there is a secondary problem or not until this first problem is resolved.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Thanks for the clear explanation.
Then I might have to replace the relay.
I ll first check the board as you suggest.
Just one more thing : because the voltage crosses the coil from the red to the brn-orn, when do I measure the exact same voltage on both lugs of thé coil, knowing that the coil itself has a resistance ? Thanks again

When no current is flowing (circuit path is incomplete) both sides of a resistance will be the same voltage.

#10 5 years ago

The relay coil resistance is high, but did you pull the relay board to check all those through hole connections? You would have near infinite (open) to come up with no supply voltage on that side of the relay when the motor control is not active.

#11 5 years ago

Yes, that relay and looks like the same shape part. It's a standard 24VDC relay, as long as footprint iand pinout is the same, . nothing else is special about it.

#13 5 years ago

When there is no competed circuit path, no current flow, resistance does not cause a voltage drop. It doesn't matter if the relay coil measures 10 ohms, 1000 ohms, or even 100,000 ohms. You should still see source voltage on both sides of the relay coil. Only an open circuit on the relay board will produce the symptoms you have described. This is basic electronics theory.

#15 5 years ago

Some people here have accomplished great repairs without electronics knowledge, and others have made the process more difficult or even damaged games.

I'm just one of the few here with formal electronics training and years of career electronics experience.

#17 5 years ago

That looks ok. You could assume the relay is bad, or you could go an extra step and use a test lead to jump the plus +27 (red wire) to the power pin #1. The coil trigger pin #2 should measure +27VDC. You could then ground pin #2 and listen for the click of the relay. Another step further, measure the output pins 1 to 6. They should be open (near infinite) resistance, and then change to low ohms when the relay is activated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 23.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-problem-with-motor?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.