Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

interconnect board.gif
#1 9 years ago

Just got a Mousin Around.

I noticed I can't change the lit upper lanes with my flippers during game play.

At the end of the game, I can't enter my initials for the high score...the flipper buttons do nothing.

Any idea what the problem is?

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Just got a Mousin Around.
I noticed I can't change the lit upper lanes with my flippers during game play.
At the end of the game, I can't enter my initials for the high score...the flipper buttons do nothing.
Any idea what the problem is?

The lane change switches are usually secondary switches on the cabinet by the flipper buttons. They could be out of adjustment, dirty or otherwise broken. Since both are out it is probably more likely that there is a broken wire at the switches or elsewhere. Go into switch test as the manual instructs, check your lock switches in that column as well. In fact, you should run both the levels and edge tests to check for all proper switch reporting. Page 1-39 in the manual.

#3 9 years ago

The 4n25 optocoupler on the interconnect board may be bad.

Shot in the dark, but it's a somewhat common failure and replacing it usually fixes things.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The lane change switches are usually secondary switches on the cabinet by the flipper buttons. They could be out of adjustment, dirty or otherwise broken. Since both are out it is probably more likely that there is a broken wire at the switches or elsewhere. Go into switch test as the manual instructs, check your lock switches in that column as well. In fact, you should run both the levels and edge tests to check for all proper switch reporting. Page 1-39 in the manual.

I just got the machine...Don't have a manual just yet.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

The 4n25 optocoupler on the interconnect board may be bad.

Shot in the dark, but it's a somewhat common failure and replacing it usually fixes things.

Where is that located on the board?

#5 9 years ago

Hi,

You can download a manual from ipdb here :

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1635

On Mousin' Around, the lane change isn't controlled by a separate switch any more (earlier System 11 machines either had extra switches stacked inside the cabinet as wayout440 says, or stacked on the flipper mechanisms). On your machine as johnwartjr says the lane change is handled via a couple of optocouplers on the interconnect board.

In the backbox of your machine, there is the big main MPU board. The long narrow board underneath that is the interconnect board. I'd be surprised of both optocouplers have gone bad (although it's certainly possible). I'd suggest reseating (remove and push back on again) all the connectors on the interconnect board and see if that wakes your lane change back up again.

In the manual it'll walk you through switch testing and so on...

#6 9 years ago

I'm rethinking my statement after looking at the schematic, the 4n25 at U2 does the left lane change, and the 4n25 at U3 does the right lane change. Not thinking it's very likely that they both failed.

Look closely at the interconnect board. Are any of the connectors unplugged or burnt? J8? J10? J5?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

On Mousin' Around, the lane change isn't controlled by a separate switch any more (earlier System 11 machines either had extra switches stacked inside the cabinet as wayout440 says, or stacked on the flipper mechanisms). On your machine as johnwartjr says the lane change is handled via a couple of optocouplers on the interconnect board.

In the backbox of your machine, there is the big main MPU board. The long narrow board underneath that is the interconnect board. I'd be surprised of both optocouplers have gone bad (although it's certainly possible). I'd suggest reseating (remove and push back on again) all the connectors on the interconnect board and see if that wakes your lane change back up again.

In the manual it'll walk you through switch testing and so on...

Anything John Wart says, I take as gospel.....He knows his stuff.

I've already had the MPU out to replace the battery holder.

I've also had the interconnect board out...had to replace a few headers and connectors.

Yeah, my cabinet has only a single switch type flipper button.

J 8, 10 and 15 all look great.

Do I need to replace BOT U2 and U3 on the interconnect board?

#8 9 years ago

Snux is right, I was thinking it was like Atlantis with separate switches.

Although U2 and U3 could fail independently, U2 and U3 do get a common emitter signal through interconnect board J1-11 switch column (green/gry) wire. A lack of this signal, broken trace or wire could cause both to fail. So there's a couple of things to look at there.

#9 9 years ago

I would look at J1-11 at this point as way out is suggesting - it's be highly unlikely that U2 and U3 would fail simultaneously. It is almost certainly something they have in common.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I would look at J1-11 at this point as way out is suggesting - it's be highly unlikely that U2 and U3 would fail simultaneously. It is almost certainly something they have in common.

Do I just check continuity...trace each wire back to each component?

#11 9 years ago

i've seen them both dead a number of times so it's not that improbable (on both system 11 games and on the driver board on early WPC games). Likely they both didn't fail at the same time, but I am assuming this is a relatively new to you game.

#12 9 years ago

Just looked at J1, pin 11

Sure enough, I see corrosion on the IDC connector, isolated just to that pin.

Thanks guys

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

but I am assuming this is a relatively new to you game.

Just picked it up on Christmas eve.

#14 9 years ago

Well, I see what's happened.

There was previous battery leakage.

I had already replaced a few headers and connectors on the interconnect board, but I didn't spot this damage.

The J8 on the MPU had some leakage on it. That leakage traveled thru the wire harness to the J1 on the interconnect board, and contaminated it.

The wire harness has been rebuilt with all new trifurcons. Now, just to be safe, I'm going to replace the header pins on the MPU J8

The J1 header pins on the interconnect board appear to be clean...going to neutralize them just to be sure.

It's really amazing how much damage can occur with battery leakage.

#15 9 years ago

You've got me thankful I didn't chase after that mouse.

#16 9 years ago

So far, I've replaced the header pins and connectors on the interconnect board, J4, J11 and J12

Also replace the header and connector on the MPU, J8

As soon as I get the header pins installed on the MPU, I'll give an update.

This machine has potential.

Besides, I'd rather work on them than play them...that's part of the fun.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Besides, I'd rather work on them than play them...that's part of the fun.

Yessuh. I've restored some old Ballys with corrosion sucessfully. I try to avoid System 11s witch corrosion damage though. You have one good thing going for sure - you've got a good positive attitude about it. Good luck!

#18 9 years ago

Well, I wish I could say this is going to be a good update, but I can't.

Still can't change the roll-over lane lamps w/ the flippers.

I seriously thought I found the problem. Even replaced the 3 contaminated wires from the MPU J8 to the interconnect J1.

John, Do have time to look at a couple boards for me?

Thanks again for the guidance guy.

This machine hasn't whooped me yet...(I hope)...

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

you've got a good positive attitude about it. Good luck!

And a GREAT system 11 game that is well worth overcoming those issues.

#20 9 years ago

The problem might be, that your scores arn't good enough to put your name in

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The problem might be, that your scores arn't good enough to put your name in

I nailed the high game to date last night...just couldn't put in my initials.

I still should be able to change the roll-over lane w/ the flippers on this machine...right?

#22 9 years ago

yes you should, but keep in mind the lanes at the top only move right, regardless on what flipper button you use to move the lane. Not sure if the lanes are moved off the EOS switch or double cabinet button switches. Never really looked as mine always worked.

#23 9 years ago

so back to what was first suggested. Replace the two 4N25 optoisolators at U2 and U3.

#24 9 years ago

Looks like there are quite a few connections to/from the optocouplers that need to be looked at further for corrosion.interconnect board.gifinterconnect board.gif

#25 9 years ago

Yes, the 2 problems definitely sound related.

#26 9 years ago

If you don't have a U2 and U3 for the interconnect board and do not find any other corrosion on connectors/wiring, then you can swap your BK2K or Whirlwind MPU board into the game to see if that fixes the issue.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

so back to what was first suggested. Replace the two 4N25 optoisolators at U2 and U3.

Going to order some soon from GPE

Quoted from PinballManiac40:Looks like there are quite a few connections to/from the optocouplers that need to be looked at further for corrosio

Damn I hate schematics.

I can read blueprints all day, but those damn schematics mess me up every time.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If you don't have a U2 and U3 for the interconnect board and do not find any other corrosion on connectors/wiring, then you can swap your BK2K or Whirlwind MPU board into the game to see if that fixes the issue.

I was planning on swapping out the boards tomorrow morning. I have several system 11b's.

#29 9 years ago

I've always got time to look at boards for you, and I could even test these once repaired

But I think you're moving in the right direction, so maybe you'll luck out and get it yourself.

Just LMK if you need help. I'd try the interconnect board swap next. I will tell you... I've chased corrosion like you mention before, and it will travel across wires, so take a good look at all the related connectors and header pins so you don't spend a bunch of time chasing your tail on something obvious!

#30 9 years ago

New update...

Just tried playing another game.

The lane change works.....yeehaw!!!!

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I've always got time to look at boards for you, and I could even test these once repaired

But I think you're moving in the right direction, so maybe you'll luck out and get it yourself.

Just LMK if you need help. I'd try the interconnect board swap next. I will tell you... I've chased corrosion like you mention before, and it will travel across wires, so take a good look at all the related connectors and header pins so you don't spend a bunch of time chasing your tail on something obvious!

Thank John...

It looks like I might have gotten lucky this time around.

#32 9 years ago

I can't believe all of the damage from the battery leakage has caused.

All of the boards looked SO clean.

well, besides the typical burned up J6 on the interconnect board.

#33 9 years ago

Alkaline is a weird thing.. I've seen boards where it never touched the board immediately surrounding the battery holder, and then there's a nickel sized spot of damage 6 inches away on a board.

I think the alkaline somehow can 'float' across the air, and land somewhere else.

I have found memories of Mousin Around. There used to be one in a tavern in Seymour, IN next to a Medieval Madness. I'd go in, play the Mousin and not the Medieval - now the pins are completely gone in the tavern. Treasurecove cleaned out most of the ops in this area. I only got 1 or 2

#34 9 years ago

I can't wait to start shopping this out. Just hope I can get the home-made playfield mylar off w/o removing the artwork.

I gotta get this high speed machine finished so I can work on Mousin Around.

#35 9 years ago

I'd been looking for a Mousin Around for the last 3 years....so I can set it next to my BadCats.

Finally ran across one worth buying. It's going to take some work, but she'll clean up fine by the time I'm thru w/ it.

No broken ramps or plastics. No cabinet fade at all. Only one area where the cabinet protectors won't cover the decal damage on the left front leg.

#36 9 years ago

i took the mylar off and restored/clearcoated the playfield on the one I have here, came off with no problems. No art lifting, no air bubbles in the insert lacquer.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

...so I can set it next to my BadCats.

Precisely why I was after it. Glad you got it going.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Precisely why I was after it. Glad you got it going.

Thanks Barron,

You said you were in contact w/ the seller.

Let me say...it was probably one of my most unusual pinball buys.

The guy owned/lived in a junk yard....literally.

I was surprised to have been able get the Mousin Around. The ad had been on craigslist for 2 hours before I ran across the ad. Was sure it was sold by the time I contacted the seller.

#39 9 years ago

I bought 4 pins from a seller in Southern Indiana years ago. The instructions to his house included 'turn off the paved road'. I had no cell signal in his neck of the woods, was taking cash, and had to make *2* trips, because I didn't have enough truck to take 4 pins in 1 trip.

He said the pins were in his 'shed', in actuality, it was a condemned house on his property. Said he was getting ready to throw them in a sinkhole on the back of his property!

2k for a TAF, Funhouse, DE Simpsons and Teed Off - all of which had various varmints living in them at one time or another!

A junkyard... well, I'd be looking for Volvo parts after loading the pin

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I'd be looking for Volvo parts after loading the pin

I'd have my eyes peeled for nice classic SAAB 900s on the lot.

Quoted from indypinhead:

Thanks Barron,
You said you were in contact w/ the seller.
Let me say...it was probably one of my most unusual pinball buys.

I had a feeling. They were odd via text. I had been pursuing the MA in Bay City, MI before seeing that posting. I was like, "What? Two Mousins in a matter of days of me buying a Diamond Jack up in Green Bay?!". That's when I started chasing it to have on route. I figured if I couldn't have it, I'd at least have it around me.

#41 9 years ago

That is great news that it is working.

Far as some of the wires that you had trimmed and repinned, when you stripped the wire back, did any of the wire still seemed dull looking?

#42 9 years ago

Sounds like the free Earthshaker I landed....very long story...but to make it short, the pin spent the last 10 years stored in a chicken coop.

The guy had it set up, in playing position in the back of his truck. He had a generator in the back of his truck set up so he can fire up the machine. The reason I got it for free...I had driven 4 hours into the sticks of south eastern KY, and the machine had fallen out of his truck on his way to meet me. ...

To make the story longer, I glued up the cabinet, sold shopped the machine out, sold it to a good friend of mine for $850, he turned around and sold it a month later for $1550

#43 9 years ago

Far as some of the wires that you had trimmed and repinned, when you stripped the wire back, did any of the wire still seemed dull looking?

Yep....those were the 3 wires I replaced.....you can see the "acid" damage.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Yep....those were the 3 wires I replaced.....you can see the "acid" damage.

Oh, the whole length of the wires were replaced. Good.
Then I hope you don't have any more trouble out of it.

#45 9 years ago

Oh, the whole length of the wires were replaced. Good.
Then I hope you don't have any more trouble out of it.

I still have a few switches out...and need to make my own controlled wire gate...after that, she should be good to go...I hope...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-aroundcant-enter-hs-initials and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.