Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4015.jpg
pRS1C-2110710w345.jpg
IMG_4127.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Recently picked up a Mousin' Around and was determined to find an easy way to make it viable for Tournament Directors to use it in their tourneys. Game has a great layout and a fairly challenging multi-ball, but that center ramp shot is just stupidly valuable. For those who don't know, the shot is blocked by a 3-bank (a la Attack From Mars) and once lowered the ramp will award the following; it will light the other ramps for MILLION letters, it will re-light the kickback, and it will score 100,000 pts. This shot is easily repeatable, so most skilled tournament players would lower that bank and ramp out for millions and extremely boring play.

So here's what I came up with: I removed the wires from the ramp switch and relocated them to a new switch that I installed under the playfield. This new switch is activated by the 3-bank being lowered. So now, dropping the wall will award 100,000 pts and light the ramps for MILLION letters. Okay great, so now what to do with that center ramp switch? We still want to give players a reason to shoot it, so I wired it up in parallel to the left inlane switch (White/Blue, Green/Black).

This switch will award MOUSE TRAP letters when the lane is lit. Spelling MOUSE TRAP will allow you to lock balls for multi-ball. Prior to the mod, the only ways to collect letters was from hitting the corresponding stand-ups or by rolling through a lit inlane (ramps both feed after the switch, however the left orbit will feed to the right inlane). At the beginning of game both inlanes will be lit, but after that the lit inlane will alternate and the game will no longer allow you to collect them by shooting the left orbit either. So with the new mod, players are given another strategic option for collecting MOUSE TRAP letters, in fact, after the first multi-ball, players can now combo their way to lighting locks by shooting center ramp/left orbit combos. Pretty cool!

One consideration is that factory setting for the kickback is to start the game with it lit, once used re-lighting came from shooting the center ramp 3 times in a row. Now that the switch has been moved, relighting will only come from lowering the center bank 3 times. On our game we have chosen to set the kickback to easy, this ensures that each ball will start with it lit.

IMG_4126.jpgIMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpgIMG_4127.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I like the idea and though I don't know the game, the logic seems sound.

But... I don't like the way you did the switch. Instead of the leaf switch, go get another roller microswitch like the target bank uses for the 2 limit switches (up and down). Stack your ramp switch with some longer machine screws right next to the down limit switch. The arm on the target bank motor will be long enough to hit both switches as it passes by.

pRS1C-2110710w345.jpgpRS1C-2110710w345.jpg
IMG_4015.jpgIMG_4015.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Your idea was actually my initial plan for how to do the switch, but sadly Mousin' doesn't use that type of cam/roller set up to handle those roller switches. Using a stand-up target switch was the only thing I could come up with that didn't involve altering the current 3-bank assembly.

It's not pretty, but it does work.

#4 8 years ago

Good idea. I'm working on a way to make Police Force a more level game. If you make the center ramp really tight and move the steal high score count to 8, I think that would work out. The steal high score (right ramp X number of times in a row on the last ball) could still be had at 8 shots in a row, but the odds are pretty low since it's not the easiest shot to hit.

I also set the JP to be 4m with very little to be built up since it resets every game.

If I'm intentionally avoiding the center ramp, the game is quite a bit of fun and pretty tough. Most of the points are to be had from jailing the 4 characters and then hitting the right ramp in time for the JP. Spelling out POLICE and then hitting the top cop target (not easy, but not overly hard) is worth 3m.

For some perspective, I tried for the unlimited millions on the center ramp for a single ball and had 8 million after I finally missed, and had to build that up with 8 shots to get to the million value, not the typical 3 or 4 shots.

#5 8 years ago

Cool. I just added big fat rubbers to make the center shot MUCH more difficult / risky. Same thing PAPA did.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Cool. I just added big fat rubbers to make the center shot MUCH more difficult / risky. Same thing PAPA did.

Where do you purchase said rubbers?

#7 8 years ago

Yeah, PAPA pretty much showed the way on Mousin Around. And you don't have to make modifications to the game that could become problematic, plus requires some work to be put back to normal.

#9 8 years ago

Wow. A rebound rubber? How does that even work?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Excellent! Thank you!

Yep - gotta do a little trimming, but makes for a nice tight and difficult to abuse opening to the center ramp.

#13 8 years ago

In a game about a mouse we discover that there is more than one way to skin a cat

#14 8 years ago

I'm going to get some 3/4 post rubbers for my Police Force. Thanks for the link.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-around-tournament-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.