Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mousin Around Diverter asm2 (resized).JPG
Mousin Around Diverter asm1 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.08.36 AM (resized).png
Mousin Around Diverter 1 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Having issues with my Mousin' Around diverter. I understand this is a common part to have issues but from the posts I've, none are quite the same as my issue. Also, very important to know that I got this machine 4 days ago, it's my first one, and my pinball knowledge is extremely limited, so bear with me.

Anyway, upon activation, the diverter will open just fine. When the ball is drained, the diverter does not close properly. It jostles back and forth a few times before finishing in 1 of 3 locations. 1) It will remain open, allowing the ball to go into the mouse hole. 2) It will return back to normal closed position (has only happened once). 3) It will go into this sort of in between spot, first picture below. Spot 3 seems to be where it always eventually winds up.

Looking at it when the jostling is happening, it appears that the back ramp is simply getting in the way. The arm has a squared off portion where it meets the shaft and that's rubbing on the back ramp. In this video I shot, you can actually see the ramp moving. Is it possible that the ramp is out of position? Other than this, there's no indication that it is out of place. Perhaps I can grind down the squared corner of the arm where it's hitting and see if that helps? Would love some thoughts here.

Also, I have reached out to Lloyd and we're discussing it but I figured I would try the forums here too!

Thank you!!

Mousin Around Diverter 1 (resized).JPGMousin Around Diverter 1 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

My guess is the mech is dirty or the plastic lock piece is worn/broken. I had this issue and had to take the whole mech apart and clean it. Ended up replacing the plastic lock piece as well. Swinks makes a repo part:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECLX7GYN2/03-8090-flat-cam?optionId=97793645&li=marketplace

I'd take it apart and clean it first.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

My guess is the mech is dirty or the plastic lock piece is worn/broken. I had this issue and had to take the whole mech apart and clean it. Ended up replacing the plastic lock piece as well. Swinks makes a repo part:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECLX7GYN2/03-8090-flat-cam?optionId=97793645&li=marketplace
I'd take it apart and clean it first.

Interesting. I can probably manage this. What steps would this entail? Lifting the playfield obviously but do you know how this assembly is connected electrically? Just wondering if it's as simple as unplugging a wire harness or if soldering is required...

#4 3 years ago

I can't remember. I would check the manual on ipdb.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1635/Bally_1989_Mousin_Around_Manual.pdf

Looks like a switch and solenoid involved. I'm sure they can be removed from the mech and left attached while you clean and replace.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.08.36 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.08.36 AM (resized).png
#5 3 years ago

I had the same issue on my machine back in the day.

I resolved it by removing the diverter rod, and installing it upside-down - so that the "squared" part was away from the plastic of the ramp, and the rounded part was there instead.

I realize that this sounds like the wrong thing to do, but it solved my problem completely. And yes, once in a great while, the ball would slightly bump the squared part of the diverter, but even when it did this (and it was rare) it did not cause any real problem.

#6 3 years ago

I agree i had a similar issue where i cleaned the plastic lock peace and took two winding off the spring that holds it in place and its been working great ever sense. It also looks like your diverter might need some readjustment as in the photo its not sitting far enough into the ramp.

#7 3 years ago

Very happy to report that I was able to fix my issue! What eventually helped me the most was actually the video below on Youtube. My issue and his were a little different but as he was manually moving the diverter assembly, I noticed the plate towards the end of the shaft was tilted, maybe 75* instead of 90*. Tightening this nut at the end of the shaft straightened the plate and allowed it to better "push", for lack of a better way of saying it. The spring also seemed a little loose so I took one ring off that tighten it up. Happy to report, this worked! See before and after pics below. Only required lifting the playfield.

Mousin Around Diverter asm1 (resized).JPGMousin Around Diverter asm1 (resized).JPGMousin Around Diverter asm2 (resized).JPGMousin Around Diverter asm2 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 23.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-around-diverter-issue?hl=swmurphy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.