Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Don44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

The cpu on the machine had acid damage so I installed a tested working board and the displays came on and were on for at least 10 minutes and then they went dark. Any suggestions on what to look for?

#2 2 years ago

Check the fuses on the power supply.

#3 2 years ago

I checked the fuses

#4 2 years ago

Everything else on the machine works except the displays. Could this be an issue with the power supply still?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Everything else on the machine works except the displays. Could this be an issue with the power supply still?

It's the most common culprit, when it comes to the plasma displays. You are using plasma displays correct?

Ran into the same issue and for me it was the fuse for the +100 volt circuit. The fuse didn't blow, but broke due to metal fatigue.

If you metered the fuses (while off the clips), then next check the fuse clips themselves.

It could also be burnt header pins at the PSU and/or at the display board. Another possibility is the two caps for the 100 volt circuit went bad.

1 week later
    #6 2 years ago

I replaced all of the components on the +100v and the -100v sections and I now get a faint partial display. I am getting readings of 72v and -126v. Any ideas on why it would be too high on the -100v side and low on the +100v side?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Any ideas on why it would be too high on the -100v side and low on the +100v side?

Power leakage! Most likely a bad resistor or diode. Can you post a picture of the power supply? One of us will be able to spot the component in question.

You need at least +90v for the displays to work correctly. It's not unusual to see the negative side being up to -110v. -126v is indeed bit high though.

#8 2 years ago

Could the problem be somewhere other than the 100 V section?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

I decided to try to take a better picture by taking the board out. Also, does it matter which way the resistors go? Same as the ones in the board but didn't look the same.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

It looks like your Q4 transitor is touching Q3's heatsink. That may be creating a short.

#11 2 years ago

It wasn’t that it was not touching

#12 2 years ago

Update: I started replacing parts on the +100v side again and ZR1 wound up being the culprit. I used a higher voltage diode and my voltage went up to where it needed to be.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-around-displays-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.