(Topic ID: 148113)

Mousin Around cab restoration (amateur,first time)

By bronco-jon

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DakotaMike
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2907 (resized).JPG
DSCF2563_(resized).JPG
DSCF2565_(resized).JPG
DSCF2555_(resized).JPG
DSCF2552_(resized).JPG
DSCF2547_(resized).JPG
DSCF2510_(resized).JPG
DSCF2505_(resized).JPG
DSCF2502_(resized).JPG
DSCF2501_(resized).JPG
DSCF2499_(resized).JPG
MousinAround-Wheel-JR_(resized).png
DSCF2276_(resized).JPG
DSCF2278_(resized).JPG
DSCF2264_(resized).JPG
DSCF2270_(resized).JPG
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

Hey, as long as the game functions and you enjoy it, that's all that matters!!!

-Nate

#52 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

image_(resized).jpeg

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I found a pic of another members pin he recently purchased (brraaapperdoodle). I was referring to the outside top right. I can expand the photo but all I can make out is the word "CAUTION", That about all I could make out on the label on mine too.

mousin_cab&truck_(resized).jpgmousin_cab&truck_(resized).jpg

#54 8 years ago

Oh. I see. Mine is totally unreadable.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I found a pic of another members pin he recently purchased (brraaapperdoodle). I was referring to the outside top right. I can expand the photo but all I can make out is the word "CAUTION", That about all I could make out on the label on mine too.

mousin_cab&truck_(resized).jpg

PM me your shipping info and I'll get one in the mail to you.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Whoa! I don't know how I missed this 4 day old message....must not have been going to page two? Pm sent, and thank you Bryan_Kelly!

#57 8 years ago

DSCF2163_(resized).JPGDSCF2163_(resized).JPG

DSCF2165_(resized).JPGDSCF2165_(resized).JPG

DSCF2159_(resized).JPGDSCF2159_(resized).JPG

DSCF2158_(resized).JPGDSCF2158_(resized).JPG

DSCF2155_(resized).JPGDSCF2155_(resized).JPG

DSCF2154_(resized).JPGDSCF2154_(resized).JPG

#58 8 years ago

Johnny: what are you sanding with? Palm sander?

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Johnny: what are you sanding with? Palm sander?

Yes, orbital. $27.00 from Harbor Freight

#60 8 years ago

Coming along fairly well. Almost ready for the backbox decals. I have officially ACCEPTED my work, lol, I used a paint brush to paint the inside of the box. turned out better than I thought it would.....I still need to find a Warning decal for the back of box, I guess it will stay plain black until I do.

DSCF2178_(resized).JPGDSCF2178_(resized).JPG

DSCF2180_(resized).JPGDSCF2180_(resized).JPG

#61 8 years ago

Jon someone makes a screen print of that warning. May look better but will be more work.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Jon someone makes a screen print of that warning. May look better but will be more work.

Not sure what screen print is but I will look into that, thanks blackbeard. After spraying the edges I am not liking what I am seeing. I will be taking it back down to the wood and hitting it with some filler. .....This is a learning experience for me

DSCF2184_(resized).JPGDSCF2184_(resized).JPG
DSCF2183_(resized).JPGDSCF2183_(resized).JPG

#63 8 years ago

Yep. Learning on the job. If you decal that area it will look worse I think too. I'd correct.

There are others with tons of experience in here that will chime in and help.

#64 8 years ago

I'm definitely open for suggestions!

#65 8 years ago

Yes... definitely fill & sand, then fill & sand again.

It needs to smoooooth as glass. Those will show thru your decals and that's all you'll ever look at.

#66 8 years ago

That's looking amazing

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I feel kinda silly now after doing a YouTube search on pinball screen printing. I wasn't kidding when I said I was an amateur at this.
I am assuming that is the same Bryan Kelly doing the video on the warning screen print on the back of that blue head? I now have some contact info I found at the end of the video. You guys are great! Thanks, Jon

#68 8 years ago

I got a little carried away with cutting back the decal, I wanted to make sure I cut plenty but didn't mean to that much.

DSCF2190_(resized).JPGDSCF2190_(resized).JPG

DSCF2191_(resized).JPGDSCF2191_(resized).JPG

#69 8 years ago

Looks fine jon.

It's your pin. If you hate them, you can always get new ones and do them over.

#70 8 years ago

If you do them over... I would suggest removing t-molding, then take a fresh razor blade to the edge, then new t-molding.

If not, like Blackbeard said; it's your game and it looks nice!

#71 8 years ago

I won't make that mistake on the other side

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

If you do them over... I would suggest removing t-molding, then take a fresh razor blade to the edge, then new t-molding.
If not, like Blackbeard said; it's your game and it looks nice!

The t-molding was off. I just put it on hoping it would help the appearance of me cutting too much off. I need to back off on it, I tend to catch myself getting in a rush after I have been working on it for long periods

#73 8 years ago

I also got my new side rails and Stern cab protectors on. I added orange flipper buttons and believe I will go ahead and put the black plastic cab protectors on too (since they don't touch the cab) and get me some orange powder coated legs. The decals have enough orange on them that I don't think it will look to bad at all, plus I am trying to go with another look not like others I have seen.
.....orange T-molding might not look to bad either

DSCF2195_(resized).JPGDSCF2195_(resized).JPG
DSCF2193_(resized).JPGDSCF2193_(resized).JPG
DSCF2197_(resized).JPGDSCF2197_(resized).JPG

#74 8 years ago

Hmm. I would think red, yellow, or blue before orange. However, you wanted something different. Hard to tell before it's finished.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Hmm. I would think red, yellow, or blue before orange. However, you wanted something different. Hard to tell before it's finished.

I know! It may be something I regret after I see what it looks like. I had a hard time trying to decide between black legs with orange protectors or orange legs with black protectors.....Again, the plastic protectors do not touch the cab with the metal Stern protectors on now, so I'm not worried about that and I kinda like the looks of the larger plastic protectors under the legs. I thought about red or blue, but, the colors of both look way off from the colors of red and blue on the decals....so does the orange actually, but like I said, I'm going for something different. I have a new set of the cheap Pinballife chrome legs, but can't bring myself to use them on my first pinball restoration.

#76 8 years ago

Looks better than 90% of cabs out there Jon. Most are faded and wrinkled.

Nice work.

Remember me when you want to sell!

#77 8 years ago

When I first got the MA, the first thing I done was replace the plywood in the bottom of the cabinet. I removed the playfield to do this. When I went to put the playfield back in the cab it didn't want to cooperate very well for some reason and I could tell I was starting to loose my grip so I pulled it back out to regroup. when I did, I bumped one of the blue plastic mouse traps against the cab and slightly cracked it. I glued it back together and got the playfield back in with no issues with the trap, it worked just fine. I have since pulled the playfield back out obviously and have been trying to find a new trap, but no luck. I contacted PBR awhile back about one but they didn't have it. He told me he might have one for a Data East Secret Service, that they were the same accept they were black instead of blue. He checked and didn't have it either. Anyway, I found a Data East "ball eater" on ebay last night and went ahead and purchased it being at such a reasonable price. It looks slightly different but may still work. has anyone ever heard of someone using this in a MA?

ball_eater_mouse_trap_(resized).jpgball_eater_mouse_trap_(resized).jpg

#78 8 years ago

Interesting find.

I wonder if it'll work?

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Interesting find.
I wonder if it'll work?

I'll let you know when I get it.

#80 8 years ago

After looking over the blue trap real close, I think if I put all the hardware, coils, switches etc. from the blue trap on the black one it will work. I'm pretty sure Steve Young at PBR knows what he is talking about. we'll see
......you can see where I Gorilla glued it. It's actually really solid

DSCF2213_(resized).JPGDSCF2213_(resized).JPG

DSCF2212_(resized).JPGDSCF2212_(resized).JPG

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

If it is as easy as bryan_kelly makes it look in the YouTube video he and merfeldma made on silk screening the backbox, then I'm not so much worried about the work involved. it's more about the amount of money I just spent for the screen and squeegee to get it done (not including the ink I will have to buy unless merfeldma got my pm asking him to send just enough to do one print if he had it to spare) I was finally able to get with merfeldma today and purchase one of his system 11 screens. now other things to piddle with until it arrives.

#82 8 years ago

Honestly if the gorilla glued one works fine, I'd leave it until it breaks.

Just keep the other for backup.

#83 8 years ago

Not a bad idea.... if it doesn't get bumped or hit again it may not ever break. just curious as to how all these others that's needing brackets got broke or cracked?

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I received it today, Thank you very much Bryan! A saw your Indiana Jones Restoration thread a couple days ago and have done a 180 on the way I've been going about it on mine since seeing it. I just THOUGHT I was doing a cab restoration. I've started taking my time and not get in so much of a rush. I just hope printing the warning label on back is as easy as you make it look. Because I haven't received the screen yet, I don't have an excuse not to make sure I have it prepped to the best of my ability. Thanks Again, Jon

..............I'll be sure and take it in out of the rain before I paint it! lol

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Interesting find.
I wonder if it'll work?

Yes, it will work.....Both made by same manufacture and have same part number

DSCF2226_(resized).JPGDSCF2226_(resized).JPG

DSCF2224_(resized).JPGDSCF2224_(resized).JPG

#86 8 years ago

Orange legs? .....Yes or no?

DSCF2231_(resized).JPGDSCF2231_(resized).JPG

DSCF2230_(resized).JPGDSCF2230_(resized).JPG

#87 8 years ago

Why not!?

#88 8 years ago

I bought new red T-molding for the head several weeks ago, but, I'm thinking orange molding will go good with the legs?

#89 8 years ago

I like

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Orange legs? .....Yes or no?

DSCF2231_(resized).JPGDSCF2230_(resized).JPG

I went w/ red on mine.

Looks great!

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I went w/ red on mine.
Looks great!

I was worried about how much difference in the color of red on the legs would be compared to the color of red on the decals.....remember, my red is washed out.
I would like to see yours if you don't mind sharing.
to be honest, I'm not real wild about how the orange legs look on it

#92 8 years ago

Sorry indypinhead, I remember you posted a pic of yours on mousin around club thread. yes, that's a nice ma

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

to be honest, I'm not real wild about how the orange legs look on it

IMHO; The orange legs don't look that great to me either. I've seen a MA with yellow... now those I liked!

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

IMHO; The orange legs don't look that great to me either. I've seen a MA with yellow... now those I liked!

I was going for a different look other than the ones I have seen too. If I was going with yellow, I might as well go back with the original chrome. I kinda wish I went with the orange protectors with black legs now. But, one thing for curtain, I haven't seen another MA with orange legs.....not sayin that's there's not

#95 8 years ago

OK! After about 14 Bud Lights and a can of Rust-Oleum gloss black on a couple leg bolts, I'm starting to like what I'm seeing.....Is it just me, or does the black bolts look better?

DSCF2232_(resized).JPGDSCF2232_(resized).JPG

#96 8 years ago

Looks great, it's your machine, go nuts bro!

#97 8 years ago

If you're not sold on the orange, you could put circles (ala Swiss Cheese) and grey mice running up and down the legs to add some interest to them......Easy enough to make stickers to put on them........

#98 8 years ago

I personally really like the orange and black bolts

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Maybe clear cab protectors?

I saw your led leg mod thread with the clear protectors awhile back and thought that was pretty cool. I was just looking for that thread but can't find it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 23.95
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mousin-around-cab-restoration-amateurfirst-time/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.