(Topic ID: 148113)

Mousin Around cab restoration (amateur,first time)

By bronco-jon

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bronco-jon
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 74 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF2907 (resized).JPG
DSCF2563_(resized).JPG
DSCF2565_(resized).JPG
DSCF2555_(resized).JPG
DSCF2552_(resized).JPG
DSCF2547_(resized).JPG
DSCF2510_(resized).JPG
DSCF2505_(resized).JPG
DSCF2502_(resized).JPG
DSCF2501_(resized).JPG
DSCF2499_(resized).JPG
MousinAround-Wheel-JR_(resized).png
DSCF2276_(resized).JPG
DSCF2278_(resized).JPG
DSCF2264_(resized).JPG
DSCF2270_(resized).JPG

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

I bought my first pin 6 months ago and my 2nd one (Mousin Around) a couple months ago. I placed an ad in craigslist in "wanted" for purchase of non-working pinball machines, a lady called and said she had a MA sitting outside under a tarp and would like to see me come get it before it got ruined. I was able to get it for $100.00, Her husband got it out of a home he was hired to clean out for a reality company and they had no room in their house for it. It was missing the playfield lockdown bar and the back box glass, the bottom of cab had gotten wet too. Other than that, the machine is in really good shape considering where I rescued it from. I disassembled it to replace the cab bottom with new plywood, bought lockdown bar, backbox glass, new translite, flippers, complete rubber kit, balls, relocated battery holder and a few other little things I've lost track of, I cleaned it up and put everything back together to try out my new machine.
I was really surprised with how well it played and how much fun of a machine it was. I done a 90% LED upgrade sense then (kinda too bright I think) but looks really cool! ....I have now disassembled again to put new cab decals on it I was able to find. I have been told my new decals are crap but they weren't cheap so I am gonna go ahead and put then on anyway. Any tips would be appreciated as this is my first pin restoration.

DSCF2049_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Opps! Every since I downgraded to Windows 10, I seem to keep having problems with uploading pics. I'll try to re-upload again.

#3 3 years ago

DSCF2056_(resized).JPG

DSCF2048_(resized).JPG

DSCF2041_(resized).JPG

DSCF2040_(resized).JPG

DSCF2043_(resized).JPG

DSCF2042_(resized).JPG

#4 3 years ago

Great Game.. Have fun with the restore.... NT.

#5 3 years ago

Where did you find new cab decals?

#6 3 years ago

How did you find decals for this? I ended up repainting all the fade on the one I had.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where did you find new cab decals?

From an Ebayer in Hungary

#8 3 years ago

DSCF2064_(resized).JPG

#10 3 years ago

Great job Jonny!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks good. Where do you get those again?

I typed "mousin around pinball" in the search bar on ebay. that's how I got them. The ebayer doesn't have any listed right now but I do know from reviewing his ebay feedback score that he has sold different game decal sets before.

#12 3 years ago

Nice job with the rescue. I love seeing that.

#13 3 years ago

I'm not really getting into any big hurry on this but am making progress. right now I am gluing the veneer on the side cab that had started slightly lifting and doing some patch work on the front of the cab.

Does anyone know if reproduction manufacture labels are available? I blew the corner off the inside label with my air compressor (opps) and would like to replace the one on back of cabinet.

DSCF2065_(resized).JPG
DSCF2070_(resized).JPG
DSCF2072_(resized).JPG
DSCF2073_(resized).JPG

#14 3 years ago

Instead of using just filler to fill the holes in the front, I drove wood dowel pins in first. it had two different size holes.

DSCF2076_(resized).JPG

#15 3 years ago

It looks like something was mounted here at one time, is there something missing? As far as I know everything seemed to work just fine on it, other than the flippers all of a sudden being very weak the last time I played it (that's when I decided it was a good time to start the restore)

DSCF2079_(resized).JPG

#16 3 years ago

Just checked my MA. Nothing has ever been mounted there on mine. Maybe it was a operator tag?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Just checked my MA. Nothing has ever been mounted there on mine. Maybe it was a operator tag?

Thanks for checking, no telling what is was

#18 3 years ago

I want to completely restore the back of cabinet too but don't see how without damaging the manufacture label/sticker. Is there somebody who reproduces these? ......I started checking out you guys pin collections. Awesome! is all I got to say about that!

DSCF2081_(resized).JPG

#19 3 years ago

try heating up around the sticker first this may separate/losenup the adhesive then try pealing it it may work well as this sticker appears in good shape you may be able to reuse. i do believe these are available you may have to type your info in thou with a new repo so document the info. GL

#20 3 years ago

I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I did just try doing that and it didn't want to cooperate with me. I can tell I will damage it if I do that. Thanks for the reply. Someone pm'd me about someone who might be able to hook me up. Thanks Freddy

#21 3 years ago

FYI guys, I sent the ebayer I purchased the decals from a pm about the availability of his decals. he sent me a message back with a list of several different pin decals he claims to have, and said he relisted on Ebay....However, it's not the same user name and has zero transactions on Ebay. Please do not hold me responsible for any purchases you make with these new listed MA decals. I don't know why he would list them as a new Ebayer unless he contacted his "hook-up" and told him someone was asking about them. Just seems strange to me, just sayin. .......and from somewhere other than Hungary.....

#22 3 years ago

I was told I purchased his last set of MA decals a couple weeks ago. Who knows?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I was told I purchased his last set of MA decals a couple weeks ago. Who knows?

I hear ya, Something just seems fishing about it......All I know is I paid for them and got them three weeks later as described. I don't like the fact that it's the same guy I got them from and him using a different ebay account. Don't understand why someone with 100% positive feedback would relist an item someone was asking about under another name? .....by the way woody, if it's any of my business, have you received the decals yet?

#24 3 years ago

Not yet. Should get them next week.

#25 3 years ago

Progress today

DSCF2101_(resized).JPG

DSCF2102_(resized).JPG

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I want to completely restore the back of cabinet too but don't see how without damaging the manufacture label/sticker. Is there somebody who reproduces these? ......I started checking out you guys pin collections. Awesome! is all I got to say about that!
DSCF2081_(resized).JPG

Got um, Thanks to a couple other Pinsiders,
Get them here: www.inkochnito.nl

DSCF2104_(resized).JPG

#27 3 years ago

Coming right along with no major goofs so far......

DSCF2111_(resized).JPG

DSCF2109_(resized).JPG

DSCF2108_(resized).JPG

DSCF2107_(resized).JPG

DSCF2106_(resized).JPG

#28 3 years ago

looks great!

good job!

#29 3 years ago

were the decals short or did you cut them short?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

looks great!
good job!

Thanks pinhead

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

were the decals short or did you cut them short?

They were plenty long enough.
I watched a video on youtube (more than once) of a guy doing a decal/cab restro on a Indiana Jones and I done it like he did, or I wouldn't have known to paint the edges and cut them short.

#32 3 years ago

Here is something I took upon myself to try.....I left the front decal long at the top front of cab and folded it over and taped it down so it would stay while I bolted the lockbar latch back on to securely hold the decal in place. I figured I don't have to worry about it peeling off from there taking off and on the lock down bar? .......it is saying, Pinside is very busy right now and it "failed to upload file". I will try later

#33 3 years ago

DSCF2112_(resized).JPG

#34 3 years ago

Great job on this. Not an easy task.

Now to find me a mousin!

#35 3 years ago

Thanks Blackbeard. turned out better than I thought it would. I wasn't planning on replacing the side rails but have changed my mind. Problem is, I can't find 51-1/2" side rails, I can find 47" rails. the top of these rails measures 47" but the side measures 51-1/2........the 47" rails describes them as being measured end to end. I almost ordered the 47" but think I might be ordering the wrong rails. I would appreciate if anyone can help. ...I don't see a part or part number in the MA manual.

DSCF2117_(resized).JPG

DSCF2114_(resized).JPG

DSCF2116_(resized).JPG

#36 3 years ago

My bad, .....I see now that Pinballife has them......I swear, I looked earlier and couldn't find them....

#38 3 years ago

Hey, if you ever need to replace stickers like the Williams ones, here's an easier way to do it if you are good at Photoshop.

Snap a nice photo of the sticker, upload to computer, use Photoshop to repair/duplicate, print on sticker paper - I did this with great success for Taxi.

-Nate

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Hey, if you ever need to replace stickers like the Williams ones, here's an easier way to do it if you are good at Photoshop.
Snap a nice photo of the sticker, upload to computer, use Photoshop to repair/duplicate, print on sticker paper - I did this with great success for Taxi.
-Nate

Thanks Nate, But that's a little over my head there lol, ....I have seen a couple of cool Taxi restorations somewhere on the web. just wondering if it may of been one of yours?

#40 3 years ago

Thanks evandickson

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Got um, Thanks to a couple other Pinsiders,
Get them here: http://www.inkochnito.nl

Bronco-jon... Your MA is coming together nicely!

I clicked on the website to fine S# stickers for MA, however, it was just the score cards. Did I miss something there?

Also, I see your S# sicker repo's are actually your original S#. From that site, were you able to put in your actual S#?

Kerry

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Bronco-jon... Your MA is coming together nicely!
I clicked on the website to fine S# stickers for MA, however, it was just the score cards. Did I miss something there?
Also, I see your S# sicker repo's are actually your original S#. From that site, were you able to put in your actual S#?
Kerry

PM Peter, He is a Pinsider on here, His Pinside user name is: inkochnito, He can hook you up and all he ask for is a donation to help keep his website up and running. ....I just sent him a pic of my old labels and he sent them to me just like you see them. I was glad to send him a donation, wish there were more people like him around.

#43 3 years ago

Super fun game, good luck with the work.

One thing you will find with decals is that they tend to wrinkle around the edges of the coin door, legs etc. Especially the legs since they have a lot of load on them and can move slightly when the game is played.

I'd recommend buying a set of the metal cabinet protectors to install under the legs. These attach to the cabinet and prevent the edges of the legs from cutting into or wrinkling the decals (trim decal away under the small brackets - not visible with legs attached). Cheap & effective insurance against decal damage. I've used them on 2 cabinet decal jobs & the professional restorers that post here seem to use them too.

Most pinball sites sell them - screenshot of pinball life's below.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-08_at_6.57.19_PM_(resized).png

#44 3 years ago

Here's a shot of my fishtails with the protectors installed. I trimmed away the decal directly beneath the protectors to prevent wrinkling. This game was finished around 3 years ago & I have not had any issues to date.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-08_at_7.05.45_PM_(resized).png

#45 3 years ago

Thank you, Yes, those are the ones I will be using.

#46 3 years ago

Isn't this supposed to be fun? Not sure what I got myself into here......Now time to start the back box.

#47 3 years ago

It's a lot of work isn't it?!! And yours looks great! It doesn't seem to be a big project until you're spending hours and hours in front of it close sanding, bondo, repeat.

Definitely follow the advice with the leg protectors and cut the decal below where they install. Will keep the decals looking great for a long time.

Keep up the progress!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Isn't this supposed to be fun? Not sure what I got myself into here......Now time to start the back box.

Yep, a lot of work, best to take some "time out" and return when you are refreshed, I felt the exact same way doing Taxi!

You might have seen my resto here on Pinside, I didn't go "crazy" just mainly did the pf and painted backbox trim and interior of cab - for some reason, outer cabinet conditions don't bother me as long as it is stucturally sound.

Glad you found someone to do your stickers, they look great. Good work, nice to see a neglected pin come back to life!

-Nate

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

It's a lot of work isn't it?!! And yours looks great! It doesn't seem to be a big project until you're spending hours and hours in front of it close sanding, bondo, repeat.
Definitely follow the advice with the leg protectors and cut the decal below where they install. Will keep the decals looking great for a long time.
Keep up the progress!

Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Yep, a lot of work, best to take some "time out" and return when you are refreshed, I felt the exact same way doing Taxi!
You might have seen my resto here on Pinside, I didn't go "crazy" just mainly did the pf and painted backbox trim and interior of cab - for some reason, outer cabinet conditions don't bother me as long as it is stucturally sound.
Glad you found someone to do your stickers, they look great. Good work, nice to see a neglected pin come back to life!
-Nate

Thanks dmacy and nate, It's nice having a place to come and having folks willing to help out with answers and advice. It's amazing some of these guys restorations they do. it's really not fair for me to call what I'm doing a restoration....it's more like lipstick and rouge......

#50 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me what label/sticker was on the top right hand side of the back box? it's 2"x4" but I can't make out what it was or the decal # on it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Benton, PA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
$ 36.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside