(Topic ID: 254894)

Motörhead - Born to Lose, Live to Pin (re-theme)

By SurlyOldPunk

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Aumühle (resized).jpg
Aumühle. (resized).jpg
Aumühle.. (resized).jpg
A4A393BD-5868-45AA-968A-D3C740E38862 (resized).jpeg
R_lower_sling (resized).jpg
R_upper_sling (resized).jpg
center (resized).jpg
motorhead_pinball2 (resized).jpg
MHBG666 (resized).jpg
playfield3 (resized).jpg
doorlogo (resized).jpg
playfield2 (resized).jpg
doorlogo2 (resized).jpg
bumpcap2 (resized).jpg
bumpcap1 (resized).jpg
sidecomplete2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Motörhead is one of the GREATEST bands ever and have been my absolute favorite band for about 38 years now. I'm not gonna go into the merits of why or try and win anyone over, if you know- you know! Lemmy was a huge fan of pinball, as well as slots and other pocket change emptying arcade games. It's only fitting that someone pay tribute. I'm not the kind of guy to wait for something cool or that I want to be made, frankly- if one of the big pinball manufacturers decided to make a Motörhead pinball machine, I wouldn't touch it (for any price). I feel like Motörhead’s ethos has always been “fuck you, we don’t need any corporate suits to help us” so I’m carrying on this project with that spirit. I'm not gonna go into a rant about how I feel about modern pinball machines, I'm just going to do something about it.

Even though it's always been a dream to have (or build) a Motörhead pinball machine, it's only in the last 6 months i've gotten more serious about actually doing it. I started looking around for a donor machine and decided to go with the simplicity of an EM. Most early EMs had open layouts and minimal insert lights in the playfield. I didn't want a machine that had specific insert patterns, just something that would lend itself to a good design without being overly complicated.

After looking for a while, I came across a fully functioning 1962 Gottlieb Sunset. The cabinet wasn't original to the Sunset machine, but was correct for 1962 Gottlieb machines. The playfield was worn, but not terribly and all of the playfield plastics were warped/yellowed/chipped. I paid $200 for the machine and started planning out my attack.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home (and started stripping it down):

mh1 (resized).jpgmh1 (resized).jpgrawcab2 (resized).jpgrawcab2 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I worked up a concept for the cabinet/back box and had a loose idea for the playfield. I contacted an artist friend in England, who also a huge Motörhead fan, and asked if he was into the idea of doing art for the playfield and back glass. He excitedly agreed and I told him I would send a scan of the playfield as soon as I could.
final (resized).jpgfinal (resized).jpgfinal2 (resized).jpgfinal2 (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

Meanwhile, I started stripping down the cabinet and figuring out how I wanted to paint it. As I mulled over painting ideas, I had a brainstorm…. What if the machine was wrapped in leather? And better yet, what if it was wrapped in leather and studded. I was picturing all the band pics I had on my wall and the sea of crazy fans every time I got to see the band live. Wringing my hands, I muttered to myself “this is gonna be good”

I wanted to try and keep the entire project under $750 if possible, so that meant RESTORING all of the original parts instead of just ordering everything new. So after stripping off all the cabinet parts, I assessed what could be saved. Turns out, almost everything was just dirty/grimy/scratched from years of play on this old girl. I carefully bagged and inventoried everything and got to work on the cabinet. First up was a good clean and vacuum, I sprayed the inside of the cabinet black and tried to find leather to wrap this. I knew that real leather would be expensive but I looked anyway. I wanted one giant piece that would wrap around the cabinet without a bunch of seams. Around $250-$300 was the cheapest I found for real, dyed black leather. Nope- time to look at the (p)leather. I ended up buying a 54’ by 5 yard roll for around $50 shipped. This would be plenty to do the cabinet and back box without any problems. I also found cone stud shaped upholstery tacks that were EXACTLY what I was looking for. I got 600 studs for around $40 shipped.
For the Snaggletooth design on the sides of the cabinet, I decided to hand cut a stencil and paint it sliver on top of the leather. Any old metal heads out there can kind of see I was going for the look of a leather/demin jacket with all these materials and the way they were done. I’m going to keep a running total of what was spent as I progress. At this stage, just under $300.00

Here’s the progress so far

cab7 (resized).jpgcab7 (resized).jpgcab6 (resized).jpgcab6 (resized).jpgbottom (resized).jpgbottom (resized).jpgstencil1 (resized).jpgstencil1 (resized).jpgstencil2 (resized).jpgstencil2 (resized).jpgstencil3 (resized).jpgstencil3 (resized).jpgcab3 (resized).jpgcab3 (resized).jpgcab1 (resized).jpgcab1 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

Hell yeah! Looks great so far. Can’t wait to watch this play out.

9FE1DCA5-FB6E-420A-BA86-157CE256A0F7 (resized).jpeg9FE1DCA5-FB6E-420A-BA86-157CE256A0F7 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

Fuckin A yasss

#6 4 years ago

Looks great! This will be fun to watch.

“We are Motörhead. And we play rock and roll.”
― Lemmy Kilmister

#7 4 years ago

Hell Yeah!!!

#8 4 years ago

Crank that cabinet up a notch

15729128492671398853126 (resized).jpg15729128492671398853126 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from SurlyOldPunk:

Here’s the progress so far[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome!

Somebody needs to do a pleather Centaur.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Crank that cabinet up a notch[quoted image]

Yeah, your centaur looks bad-ass - like a fuggin mad max pain machine. I was going more for a pre-80's metal vibe with the cab. Don't worry though, I already have plans for some tastefully placed spikes on the playfield hardware. Probably replace all the plastics hold down screws with threaded posts to spike this thing up.

#11 4 years ago

Next, the side rails, front top rail and the coin door got some love. The side rails/front rail were in decent enough shape, only some minor finish wear that went down to the bare metal. I started with 220 grit sand paper, then 600, 1000, 1500 and finished with 2500 dry. I don’t want this machine to look like everything was buffed to a high shine. I still want it to maintain some age and wear. Once those were finished, I sprayed them with a few matte coats of Permalac. This stuff is supposed to protect raw metal finishes without clouding or yellowing over time. It wasn’t cheap, but it sprayed on nicely and I got the finish I was after.

Next was the coin door – it was pretty beat up. I decided when I started planning the design, I was not going to use the coin slots, returns or any of the mechanisms. I wanted it to have a cleaner look without looking like some shitty home version. Once I assessed the coin door (which was horribly painted silver) I knew I was going to have to do some serious repair. I sanded off all the silver paint, plugged the coin return button holes and got out the auto body filler. Coat, dry, sand x 4 and it was ready to be primed. I love flat black primer and wanted to try and use it as much as possible for the finished look of the game. Too bad it’s just primer and almost nothing out of a can looks as flat. Screw it, I’m doing it anyway and I’ll flat clear over it.

I also pulled out an old Motörhead belt buckle I had and thought it would look pretty cool on the coin door. I still haven't mounted it properly yet, but the back has been leveled and its ready.

Total so far $330.00

front1 (resized).jpgfront1 (resized).jpgfront6 (resized).jpgfront6 (resized).jpgsiderails (resized).jpgsiderails (resized).jpgfrontdoor2 (resized).jpgfrontdoor2 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago

Also- Got the first draft of the playfield art from my buddy:

playfield2 (resized).pngplayfield2 (resized).png
#13 4 years ago

Looks great. Can't wait to see your progress.

#14 4 years ago

This is awesome!

#15 4 years ago

Next up, cabinet side lettering. I could’ve just spray painted these, but man I wanted something that would scream MOTORHEAD. I had such good luck with the cabinet wrap (p)leather, I decided to use more of it for the lettering. I purchased some distressed grain red pleather and got to work. Once I figured out the sizing and made the stencil, I had some second thoughts about how I was going to stick to the pleather already on the side of the cabinet. Pleather has a cotton backing so I just figured strong spray glue would do the job. Before I made 1 cut, I decided to test the glue theory. 2 different type of “super strength” spray mount didn't work, 3 different glues were messy and didn’t work anyway…shit, is my pleather lettering dream gonna get derailed?

Nah, never give up. After talking to some friends in the sign/trade show display field- I was directed to VHB 2 sided tape. this stuff is super sticky and exactly what I needed. I found the tape in 2" wide rolls and proceeded to cover the back side of the red pleather. Once that was done, I cut out all lettering by hand with an Exacto knife and mocked up its position on the cabinet. The lettering went on without any snags.

Once the the lettering was all in place, I was able to put in the studs that make up the spade patterns on the sides of the cabinet. Total cost so far-around $350
sideletters1 (resized).jpgsideletters1 (resized).jpgside2 (resized).jpgside2 (resized).jpgfrontletters2 (resized).jpgfrontletters2 (resized).jpgfrontletters (resized).jpgfrontletters (resized).jpgfrontletters3 (resized).jpgfrontletters3 (resized).jpgside1 (resized).jpgside1 (resized).jpg

#16 4 years ago

Love Motörhead and miss them too.

1 week later
#17 4 years ago

More progress!

Got the front of the cabinet studded, the back box pleather wrapped/stenciled/studded. Put the legs back on with new black leg bolts and black leg levelers (OG bolts/levelers were missing). Sanded and polished the shooter rod, new springs and a new beehive housing (OG was broken). Coming along nicely!

lemstencil1 (resized).jpglemstencil1 (resized).jpglemstencil2 (resized).jpglemstencil2 (resized).jpglemfu2 (resized).jpglemfu2 (resized).jpgfrontdone (resized).jpgfrontdone (resized).jpgsidecomplete1 (resized).jpgsidecomplete1 (resized).jpgsidecomplete4 (resized).jpgsidecomplete4 (resized).jpgsidecomplete2 (resized).jpgsidecomplete2 (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

Also made some bumper caps-

Recycled some old Bally black sun caps and some old EM deco caps. Painted the sun caps satin apple red and the deco caps outer ring satin black.

Stickermule.com has been spamming my inbox with coupons for awhile so I decided to take their offer for 10 custom stickers shipped for $10. came out pretty good.

Grand total so far: $400
bumpcap1 (resized).jpgbumpcap1 (resized).jpgbumpcap2 (resized).jpgbumpcap2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#19 4 years ago

The original plan was to mount an old MH belt buckle I had, on the coin door. Stupid me, I dropped it on my concrete basement floor and broke it so ....plan B.

Decided to hand cut the snaggletooth logo and spray paint it on the door in silver. Came out pretty good.

Replaced a handful of inserts on the playfield and got it ready to sand down.

doorlogo (resized).jpgdoorlogo (resized).jpgdoorlogo2 (resized).jpgdoorlogo2 (resized).jpgplayfield2 (resized).jpgplayfield2 (resized).jpgplayfield3 (resized).jpgplayfield3 (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago

Back glass design, final version

MHBG666 (resized).jpgMHBG666 (resized).jpg
#21 4 years ago

Playfield design, still needs some tweaks and the middle green plastics finalized

motorhead_pinball2 (resized).jpgmotorhead_pinball2 (resized).jpg
#22 4 years ago

Awesome!

#23 4 years ago

Jeez. Incredible work.

#24 4 years ago

The talent on Pinside never ceases to amaze me. Looks incredible!

3 weeks later
#25 4 years ago

Wow.. bang up job so far. Can’t wait to see the finished pin.

4 months later
#26 3 years ago

Bump to an awesome thread for an awesome 40th anniversary year of the Ace of Spades!

Hope progress is going well.

#27 3 years ago

This is unbelievable work. I have to say, the Snaggletooth you cut out for the coin door looks way better than the belt buckle. Outstanding. Now how do you get it to play the tunes?!?

#28 3 years ago

This is so badass. Nice stuff.

#30 3 years ago

More updates coming soon. VirusShit2020 has delayed printing of the playfield/backglass. I've done some mechanical updates as well as cleaning of old parts etc. Here are the final designs for the plastics

R_lower_sling (resized).jpgR_lower_sling (resized).jpgR_upper_sling (resized).jpgR_upper_sling (resized).jpgcenter (resized).jpgcenter (resized).jpg
#31 3 years ago

Lemmy would be proud

#32 3 years ago

BAD ASS PIN

#33 3 years ago

I love everything about this.

2 weeks later
#34 3 years ago

Just saw this today ..... Thought I would leave it here.

2 weeks later
#35 3 years ago

Love this: here is my MET with tribute to the boys (and Lemmy with Metallica playing Damage Case and Too Late...)

A4A393BD-5868-45AA-968A-D3C740E38862 (resized).jpegA4A393BD-5868-45AA-968A-D3C740E38862 (resized).jpeg
#36 3 years ago

Wow! Amazing work.

8 months later
#37 3 years ago

MOTOR-BUMP!

#38 3 years ago

what he said.

I need more please. This looks awesome.

4 months later
#39 2 years ago

The Chase is most certainly, Not, Better than the Catch of another update for this awesome pin.

Bump!

#40 2 years ago

A Motörhead pin would be an instant buy for me. The average person hasn’t listened to much Motörhead but they have a lot of decent songs that would work well in a pin. And plenty of art to work with. I bet they would sell more than they think….every rock/metal band all acknowledge Motörhead as an influence. And so many stories of what a regular guy Lemmy was. Metal heads would buy this up if it were done and marketed right.

9 months later
#41 1 year ago

Ready to Taste that Dirty Love, with a update!

#42 1 year ago

This is such a great looking retheme! I wish I could find a project game worth redoing

In other news, did anyone get the Ace of Spades box set? Thinking about grabbing that soon

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is such a great looking retheme! I wish I could find a project game worth redoing
In other news, did anyone get the Ace of Spades box set? Thinking about grabbing that soon

Don’t hesitate. It’s worth it.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Don’t hesitate. It’s worth it.

Bought it like 20 seconds after my post VINYL IS IMMINENT!!

1 year later
#45 7 months ago

I Don't Believe a Word - has yet to be spoken.

BUMP for Snaggletooth!

#46 7 months ago

"We're fucking Motorhead. And we play Rock and Roll"

Would be the best Start Button Callout, Ever.

#47 7 months ago

!

1 month later
#48 6 months ago
Aumühle (resized).jpgAumühle (resized).jpgAumühle. (resized).jpgAumühle. (resized).jpgAumühle.. (resized).jpgAumühle.. (resized).jpg
#49 6 months ago

Absolutely!!! Lemmy ALWAYS pumps up the crowd with we are Motörhead….and we play rock n roll.

As a side note to get an idea of how much of an influence Lemmy/Motörhead is for MANY bands you have to watch this clip of Dave Grohl.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/motorhead-born-to-lose-live-to-pin-re-theme?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.