Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by motoindc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SP_sound_board.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hey all. I picked up a Bally Motordome machine at an estate sale and have been slowly restoring it. One major problem I have is with the sound -- it does make sound out of both speakers, but it is barely audible even with the volume dial turned to the max.

Any thoughts on trouble shooting this? Is it simply a blown soundboard or could there be something else going on here?

Many thanks,
Don

#2 7 years ago

If you have sound coming out of both speakers I would make sure all of your circuit boards are screwed in correctly (grounded) and make sure the connections are tight for your sound (at the boards and speakers). You could also test your ohm output from the sound adjustment (potentiometer). Good luck.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. For what it's worth, the potentiometer does adjust the sound -- from mute to just barely audible. Not sure if that information sheds any further light on my problem...

#4 7 years ago

Motordome is much better without the sound.

#5 7 years ago

The sound grows on you...then it gets stale and moldy. I end up putting on some headphones when I play mine.

#6 7 years ago

Hey,

Could you post some pics
I looked for this machine three years ago ..

#7 7 years ago

From what you guys are saying it sounds like the previous owner may have intentionally killed the sound! Nonetheless, I'd like to discover for myself the awefulness of the sound it makes....

Happy to post some pics...will do so in the next day or two.

#8 7 years ago

I just fixed a Special Force a short time ago, and it shares the same circuit boards.

On the sound board, you'll find a small pot that you need to check. The pot might be bad.

SP_sound_board.jpg

#9 7 years ago

Not sure which sound card is in this machine, but might need a cap kit installed. I have run across the same issues in a few older Bally machines recently. New caps solve a lot of issues. And for the price I replace the pots while I'm at it...

#10 7 years ago

Thanks all...well, demonstrating my newbie lack of experience, I only had to play around with the soundboard and tighten things up to get it working. I appreciate all of the counsel.

And you all are right -- the sound is pretty awful.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 44.95
$ 137.00
$ 13.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 10.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside