7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170319_214440 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214408 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214403 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214416 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214452 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hey guys,
    purchased a Motordome today. Everything was working fine at the sellers house. In order to fit the game into the SUV, we had to take the headbox off which meant disconnecting all cables from the boards.

When I got home and reconnected all the cables, everything works ok except the 2 displays. They are blank and nothing shows up. I can start a game, and play all 3 balls, and everything works, but no display.

I double checked all my connections and compared them to the photos I took at the sellers house prior to disassembling and everything checks out. What could have gone wrong from the time we disconnected to the time I reconnected everything again? I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my first Bally 6803 system pin, so I'm not sure what I can check or look for. Thank you guys. I can take some photos of the boards if that will help a bit.

#2 7 years ago

Try wiggling those display connectors on the bottom of the MPU and see if you get any intermittent activity on the displays while the game is on. These commonly wear out and need to be repinned.

#3 7 years ago

I tried wiggling them around, no luck. I'm also a little hesitant going in there while the game is on, you know high voltage and stuff

Including some photos. In the one close up of the 14 digit display (first photo), you can see two little orange dots lit up, so not sure what that means but sounds like the display is getting power.

IMG_20170319_214440 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214440 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214452 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214452 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214416 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214416 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214403 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214403 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214419 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170319_214408 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_214408 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Fixed! I'm a big n00bie! The display cable was in the wrong spot on the MPU. Ofcourse the only 2 cables that can fit in the same MPU spot I have a 50/50 chance to get it right and I don't... lol. All the other cables can only go in one way, so no brainer there. I realized after staring at the board that the ribbon cable coming from the two displays was not plugged into the J2 MPU spot that read DISPLAY. Glad I didn't blow anything up having the two cables switched like that.

2 years later
    #5 4 years ago

That's awesome yours was an easy fix! Unfortunately I have the same exact issue.. but my cables are hooked up correctly ;(

I have wiggled, and I also have the orange dots illuminated on each display. Is there a specific fuse that would cause this?

Interestingly enough, my reasoning for the inop display is similar to yours. The little battery pack in the top right had come loose on the mpu (mobo?), So i laid the top cabinet down to re-soder the negative lead. When i put the cabinet back in place, the displays are now as such.

I'm thinking maybe old wires, cracking in their sheaths would be my next assumption, although the display wires didnt really move during this operation. Any other ideas out there masterful pinball wizards?!

Thanks all!
    Nick

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from neockder:

That's awesome yours was an easy fix! Unfortunately I have the same exact issue.. but my cables are hooked up correctly ;(
    I have wiggled, and I also have the orange dots illuminated on each display. Is there a specific fuse that would cause this?
    Interestingly enough, my reasoning for the inop display is similar to yours. The little battery pack in the top right had come loose on the mpu (mobo?), So i laid the top cabinet down to re-soder the negative lead. When i put the cabinet back in place, the displays are now as such.
    I'm thinking maybe old wires, cracking in their sheaths would be my next assumption, although the display wires didnt really move during this operation. Any other ideas out there masterful pinball wizards?!
    Thanks all!
    Nick

So I'm dealing with the opposite issue on my Party Animal where the displays work when you turn the game on, but cut out after they warm up (yet I still have power at the displays). There are test points on the back of the displays-- look in the manual to see which test point gives each voltage and test with a multimeter. BE CAREFUL-- there's 190v running into those displays.

#7 4 years ago

Had this problem on a Motordome once...turned out the big fat high voltage resistor on the power supply board was toast.

2 months later
    #8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnder:

Fixed! I'm a big n00bie! The display cable was in the wrong spot on the MPU. Ofcourse the only 2 cables that can fit in the same MPU spot I have a 50/50 chance to get it right and I don't... lol. All the other cables can only go in one way, so no brainer there. I realized after staring at the board that the ribbon cable coming from the two displays was not plugged into the J2 MPU spot that read DISPLAY. Glad I didn't blow anything up having the two cables switched like that.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing a moment like this (i.e. a moment where you could have just as easily not reported it). I was running out of options that made any type of sense with my Party Animal and your post reminded me of the two cables I had wondered if I might mix up and then promptly forgotten about. Turns out, I did the exact same thing you did. Feeling all kinds of noobishness myself, but feeling even better about having my displays working. Thank you again!

#9 4 years ago

Seeing the thread resurrected prompted me to update my own issue.

I still don't know *why* it was happening, but I sprayed a bit of contact cleaner into the connector on the ribbon cable, and let it dry overnight. Plugged it back in, and the problem is gone... it's been flawless since then.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/motordome-bally-6803-no-display?hl=gunnder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.