Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monster_bash_motor_rebuild_(resized).jpg
3M_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
71e-FDXP3xL._SL1500__(resized).jpg
71eI+q45ecL._SL1500__(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I'm up to a point in my WCS where I need to lubricate the soccer wheel & goalie motors. Wondering what to use?

#2 7 years ago

Though I am not familiar with the exact mechanisms in WCS, the manual recommends "MBI instrument grease" - which I hear is simply a version of teflon grease. I am a fan of no grease at all, but if you must, grease very sparingly. I just use some stuff I have left over from my model railroad hobby, PTFE Superlube grease. Its safe for things like plastic gears, its even rated food grade for incidental contact with food, for if you accidentally lick your motors

71eI+q45ecL._SL1500__(resized).jpg71eI+q45ecL._SL1500__(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Stern reccomends 3 in 1 oil and I have used it on noisy motors and around the house for other uses and works great.

EDIT: LOL that pic is a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

71e-FDXP3xL._SL1500__(resized).jpg71e-FDXP3xL._SL1500__(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

That's what she said!

#5 7 years ago

Wondering how to flush out the current old grease that's inside the gear mechs? It's a green thick substance but I assume it got that way after years of use?

#6 7 years ago

Use 90%> isopropyl alcohol and a rag to remove old grease

#7 7 years ago

Someone talked about this recently. You have to drill a small hole and add a drop or 2 of the 3 in 1 oil. This is for the soccer motor. Where are you talking about adding grease?

#8 7 years ago

I want to flushout and regrease the inside of this gear box / motor

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#9 7 years ago

If you can take the gearbox apart, you can clean out the old grease with mineral spirits and a brush.

#10 7 years ago

Yeah not sure how I would take it apart and back together. The taking apart would be the easy part. If I take to small motor off then there the gear hole could be big enough to rinse and re insert the grease??

#11 7 years ago

Be aware there are two kinds of 3-In-1 oil. There's the light machine oil and one specifically for motors that comes in a different color bottle. I use the motor grade on my score motors and bingo machine motors.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Be aware there are two kinds of 3-In-1 oil. There's the light machine oil and one specifically for motors that comes in a different color bottle. I use the motor grade on my score motors and bingo machine motors.

Yes, the blue colored bottle is the "electric motor oil" version of 3 in 1. It actually has a picture of an electric motor on it. This oil is actually 20 weight non-detergent automobile oil.

#13 7 years ago

What about 3M Silicone Spray?

3M_(resized).jpg3M_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yeah not sure how I would take it apart and back together. The taking apart would be the easy part. If I take the small motor off then there would be the gear hole might be big enough to rinse and re insert the grease??

It's possible you could pour in some mineral spirits into the hole to clean it out. Then you'd probably need to hold the tube of Super Lube against the hole and squeeze the tube (like a grease gun) to force the grease into the gearbox.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

What about 3M Silicone Spray?

I've used this before on non-pinball stuff. The only problem with it is that over time it seems to gum up and break down into a white dust. I've stopped using it for everything electro-mechanical. Grease type stuff is probably the safer bet, as you can wipe it off later.

#16 7 years ago

Can you drill out the rivets holding the motor together and somehow use screws or something to replace the rivets to hold the motor together? Screws and nuts? I cleaned my drac motor from my Monster Bash a year ago. I think with the drac motor that screws held the motor together no rivets? I forgot it's been so long. I have a reference to the blog post I did at that time.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/rebuilding-monster-bash-drac-motor/

monster_bash_motor_rebuild_(resized).jpgmonster_bash_motor_rebuild_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/motor-lubrication-what-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.