You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello, I am new to Pinside and new to pinball repair, especially em pinball repair. I just picked up Gottlieb Top Score and when I turn it on the the motor spins and the chimes continually sound. The player one score won't finish resetting, it shows 50,000. A buddy said that maybe a play field switch is stuck shut (or open). I visually went through and checked them all and they appear to be in their natural positions. On his recommendation I also checked the balls in the backbox animation to see if anything seemed whack. Looked "fine". I also checked the switches on the coin door/mechs. They also seem normal. I don't know what to look for next. I appreciate any help you can give. Please keep in mind that I am still learning the lingo so may need descriptions of the parts. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Certainly sounds like a pf switch. Disconnect the jones plugs connecting the pf to the motor board to establish whether that isolates the pf as the problem.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Todd_Robinett:

motor spins and the chimes continually sound

What score is running-10's, 100's, 1000's? That will make it easier to track down.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

What score is running-10's, 100's, 1000's? That will make it easier to track down.

None of the reels are moving when turned on. The player one, ten thousand reel is on 5. The rest are on zero.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Certainly sounds like a pf switch. Disconnect the jones plugs connecting the pf to the motor board to establish whether that isolates the pf as the problem.

I will look at this. I assume the jones plugs are the old school connectors. So just unplug those to the playfield, power up and look for... I'm sorry. I am really new to this.

#6 5 years ago

These are the switches that run the motor. Which one of these switches/relays is stuck on?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

These are the switches that run the motor. Which one of these switches/relays is stuck on?
[quoted image]

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm really new to this. So should I turn it on and see which are open or which are closed?

#8 5 years ago

when I turn it on the the motor spins

If the motor is running when you first turn it on, one of those relays or switches is stuck on. Look at those relays to see which one(s) is stuck on.

Or if you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cell # in a private message.

#9 5 years ago

None of the reels are moving when turned on.

That the chime(s) are running, but no scores are being added almost certainly points to the Jones plugs. Disconnect each and clean and check for loose wire/connections.

The relays that HowardR pointed out are hopefully labeled, so you can look and see which one(s) are being energized while this is going on.

#10 5 years ago

None of the reels are moving when turned on. The player one, ten thousand reel is on 5. The rest are on zero.

Sounds to me like it is trying to get all of the reels reset to zero, if that one is physically stuck on 5 the score motor will keep spinning while waiting for it to get to zero.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the motor is running when you first turn it on, one of those relays or switches is stuck on. Look at those relays to see which one(s) is stuck on.
Or if you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cell # in a private message.

So when I turn it on, the relays that change status are:
Q- game over relay
U- 1st ball relay
K- bonus score relay
H- tilt hold relay
None of the other relays in the two rows change when powered up.
Thanks again for your help.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

That the chime(s) are running, but no scores are being added almost certainly points to the Jones plugs. Disconnect each and clean and check for loose wire/connections.
The relays that HowardR pointed out are hopefully labeled, so you can look and see which one(s) are being energized while this is going on.

Do you clean the Jones plugs with Qtips and alcohol or some other method?
Thank you!

#13 5 years ago

So when I turn it on, the relays that change status are:
Q- game over relay
U- 1st ball relay
K- bonus score relay
H- tilt hold relay
None of the other relays in the two rows change when powered up.
Thanks again for your help.

If the motor is running, one of the switches I circled is almost certainly closed. Which one?

#14 5 years ago

The credit switch might be stuck on, this happened to me and that was the problem

#15 5 years ago

Manual put the reels all to 0

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

Manual put the reels all to 0

Exactly! If the 10,000 reel is stuck on 5, the score motor will keep turning on startup because its zero position switch is not in the right position. If you are new to pinball repair then manually advancing a stepper unit is a basic skill you will need to learn. You can do it by finding the plunger for the solenoid on the reel and then pressing it up with your finger, that should advance the reel one step.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Exactly! If the 10,000 reel is stuck on 5, the score motor will keep turning on startup because its zero position switch is not in the right position. If you are new to pinball repair then manually advancing a stepper unit is a basic skill you will need to learn. You can do it by finding the plunger for the solenoid on the reel and then pressing it up with your finger, that should advance the reel one step.

Thanks! I did advance the reel to 0 and restarted. The motor still runs. I'm trying the relays in the cabinet that HowardR suggested next.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the motor is running, one of the switches I circled is almost certainly closed. Which one?

Sorry for the delay getting back on this. I turned it on and it appears like G, P, W, and AX were closed. But they all have stacked switches so I'm referring to the switches furthest from the solenoids for each stack of switches.

#19 5 years ago

Sorry for the delay getting back on this. I turned it on and it appears like G, P, W, and AX were closed. But they all have stacked switches so I'm referring to the switches furthest from the solenoids for each stack of switches.

Are any of those relays activated? Another way to think about it is to find the switch on each relay that has the right color wires.

#20 5 years ago

None of the switches I mentioned change status when the game is turned on if thats what you mean. And I'm not sure what you mean by "right color wires". I'm sorry. I'm not being purposely obtuse. I'm just a novice. How can I tell if a relay is "activated"?

#21 5 years ago

And I'm not sure what you mean by "right color wires"

Following the wires around the schematic, one wire color is YEL+RED and the other is RED-WH

How can I tell if a relay is "activated"?

For example, look closely at this relay in the backbox. There's a flat metal plate that you can carefully move up with your finger. That's how the relay works when it's activated.

Or if you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone # in a private message.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/motor-and-chimes-won-t-stop-running?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.