Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is more undervalued in 2021?”

• The Walking Dead 71 votes
      44%
    • Dialed In 89 votes
      56%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A466117-9D2F-4595-9EF5-AED9D8D44021 (resized).jpeg
    austin-powers (resized).png
    20190613_172749 (resized).jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

In this crazy pinball market, where a game like Stranger Things LE sells for 14k (in about 10 min), these two games really stand out when it comes to “bargain” deals. Yes, they still are a lot of money but all considering, they should cost a lot more. Which do you believe is the most undervalued in 2021?

The Walking Dead Prem/LE - amazing theme, amazing code, great layout. Ugly art.

Dialed In - Amazing layout, good code, absolutely loaded by today’s standards. Theme hated by many.

For the record, I’m going to say The Walking Dead b/c it has the two things I always thought would be an instant success for a game - killer theme and killer code…..yet here we are.

Dialed in though - you get so much in that game and it plays like a modern Williams/Bally….this one is tough.

Edit - full disclosure that I took advantage of the market sleeping on these titles and bought both! LE and CE. Love them

5A466117-9D2F-4595-9EF5-AED9D8D44021 (resized).jpeg5A466117-9D2F-4595-9EF5-AED9D8D44021 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago
    #3 2 years ago

I think you could include Star Trek LE in there as well. Maybe not quite as undervalued as the two you mention but that’s a lot of game for the buck at current prices. I’m going Dialed In here because that LE sat unsold (not sure if it’s sold yet) for $7000 or whatever which is just stupid.

#4 2 years ago
    #5 2 years ago

Love this poll!

TWD has such a polarizing theme.

I own a Dailed in and agree that it’s like a modern Bally. But don’t recognize why it’s so underrated in this crazy market.

#6 2 years ago

Stern Spiderman!

#7 2 years ago

I hate the art on TWD and the Stern code. If it wasn't for the alternative call outs, I wouldn't have bought one. I love the rules and the game play (I have the pro). I played DI, but just didn't get into it. I do need to play it more. Maybe I just hate getting my picture taken.

#8 2 years ago

LMAO talking about Stern LE's undervalued because they aren't $14K.

#9 2 years ago

The Walking Dead, without a doubt.

#10 2 years ago

The walking dead is a masterpiece. Amazing code! Extremely fun and challenging at the same time. I sold my walking dead and immediately regretted it. I finally got it back and proceeded to bolt it to the floor. Dialed in is fun but it's no walking dead.

#11 2 years ago

I owned a DI in the past and my friend has owned each trim of TWD.

Twd shoots better and has superior code.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

In this crazy pinball market, where a game like Stranger Things LE sells for 14k (in about 10 min), these two games really stand out when it comes to “bargain” deals. Yes, they still are a lot of money but all considering, they should cost a lot more. Which do you believe is the most undervalued in 2021?
    Dialed In - Amazing layout, good code, absolutely loaded by today’s standards. Theme hated by many.
    For the record, I’m going to say The Walking Dead b/c it has the two things I always thought would be an instant success for a game - killer theme and killer code…..yet here we are.
    Dialed in though - you get so much in that game and it plays like a modern Williams/Bally….this one is tough.
    Edit - full disclosure that I took advantage of the market sleeping on these titles and bought both! LE and CE. Love them

TWD for sure. It's an AMAZING game. Unbelievably great code. I HATE the art package, but love the game. This game re-issued with a comic overlay would sell a LOT and be much more desirable.

Dialed In's problem isn't the theme, it's the dull, repetitive gameplay. The longer you own it, the more obvious it becomes.

I miss TWD and would have it again. Not so Dialed In.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

LMAO talking about Stern LE's undervalued because they aren't $14K.

You missed the entire point of the thread. Nothing to do with a stern LE being automatically undervalued if it's not 14k. Time to read....slower.

Poll update - Dialed in with the current lead even though replies indicate TWD.

Silent DI majority out there - dad jeans 4 life!

#14 2 years ago

I don't think either are undervalued. DI? theme stinks, that alone keeps it affordable in the second hand market. TWD is great but its a dmd game from 7 years ago. If someone actually paid 14K for a SThings LE then they must really be a fan of that show and it was a must have item, or mental illness.

#15 2 years ago

I paid about $8K for my DI LE when it came out - and frankly it feels like a bargain compared to $2000 toppers, and the stuff Stern is pumping out for $10K.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

I paid about $8K for my DI LE when it came out - and frankly it feels like a bargain compared...

Thats because it was, standards were 8k on release.

DI being valued still so low is a bit strange, just with the overall prices of everything these days

#17 2 years ago

I say TWD. I owned one, sold it and regret it. The art package isn’t great. I’ve always wondered if it had a better art package if it would garner more respect.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve always wondered if it had a better art package if it would garner more respect.

Where r u guys getting the notion TWD isn't a valued, respected pinball machine? DI as well. I can see WWF and TH and some others that actually sell fairly cheap cause they just weren't very good pins. TWD and DI? Not gettin it

#19 2 years ago

I am in the minority here who doesn't really get TWD. And I own one! It's a pro, and while most shots are smooth and satisfying, the art is horrible, the theme so un-kid friendly, and the well walker really destroys it for me. If someone wanted to trade a Dialed In for a TWD Pro plus cash, I'd be all in.

Quoted from delt31:

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Where r u guys getting the notion TWD isn't a valued, respected pinball machine?

I didn’t say it wasn’t respected. I said I wondered if it would garner more respect with a better art package. I think it’s a great pin and I know a lot of others do as well. However, it isn’t talked about all that much and still flies under the radar. For example, I rarely hear about anyone looking for one.

#21 2 years ago

This is tough for me as they are my 2 favorites. These are the 2 games I miss the most.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I didn’t say it wasn’t respected. I said I wondered if it would garner more respect with a better art package. I think it’s a great pin and I know a lot of others do as well. However, it isn’t talked about all that much and still flies under the radar. For example, I rarely hear about anyone looking for one.

Regarding the art package there is a lot of assets from the comic if they wanted to go that way

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

I am in the minority here who doesn't really get TWD. And I own one! It's a pro, and while most shots are smooth and satisfying, the art is horrible, the theme so un-kid friendly, and the well walker really destroys it for me. If someone wanted to trade a Dialed In for a TWD Pro plus cash, I'd be all in.

Do you have a color DMD in it? TWD is one of the titles where it really helps the game A LOT.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Where r u guys getting the notion TWD isn't a valued, respected pinball machine? DI as well.

Easy. Check sale ads here on pinside for the LEs. Both are constantly selling for less than their LE peers. The definition of undervalued.

#25 2 years ago

TWD's art may be it's weak point, but there's also more alt translites for it than any other game I can think of. You can make it look pretty good in a line up. This may be my favorite Stern game.

20190613_172749 (resized).jpg20190613_172749 (resized).jpg
    #26 2 years ago

Edit

Don't care anymore.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Edit
    Don't care anymore.

Weird request, but ok - I'll give it a shot:

"Do not care anymore"

How about that?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Poll update - Dialed in with the current lead even though replies indicate TWD.
    Silent DI majority out there - dad jeans 4 life!

You can’t poll option any JJP and trust the poll. The Cult of Jack will blindly punch the DI button and go back to being mesmerized and moved by lights. Read the opinions of the people that actually like to play pinball on pinball machines and you will get your answer.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

You can’t poll option any JJP and trust the poll. The Cult of Jack will blindly punch the DI button and go back to being mesmerized and moved by lights. Read the opinions of the people that actually like to play pinball on pinball machines and you will get your answer.

Just have fun gambit. It’s a dumb poll - we’re not officially giving a prize away.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Just have fun gambit. It’s a dumb poll - we’re not officially giving a prize away.

Although it would be hilarious for a penis pump to be the prize.

austin-powers (resized).pngaustin-powers (resized).png
    #31 2 years ago

I think TWD art is fantastic. I am a big horror fan however.

#32 2 years ago

TWD LE art in my opinion is just awesome. I love it. Never leaving my collection. I do want an DI at some point.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Another way of looking at this phenomenon is “Not everyone agrees with my opinion.” Which is perfectly fine.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

TWD for sure. It's an AMAZING game. Unbelievably great code. I HATE the art package, but love the game. This game re-issued with a comic overlay would sell a LOT and be much more desirable.
    Dialed In's problem isn't the theme, it's the dull, repetitive gameplay. The longer you own it, the more obvious it becomes.
    I miss TWD and would have it again. Not so Dialed In.

TWD Comic Version would be amazing! I vote TWD; owned both a Pro and a Premium, and would own it again if I had the room.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Thats because it was, standards were 8k on release.
    DI being valued still so low is a bit strange, just with the overall prices of everything these days

I don't get it either? I noticed at Pinfest this year,that the Dialed In there,seemed to be getting ignored. It was never a problem to play,and I know it wasn't getting much play, because I had the high score.

#36 2 years ago

I don’t understand TWD. Never had fun with it. Games are quick. Maybe I haven’t given it a chance or maybe I suck, but I do not like it.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Another way of looking at this phenomenon is “Not everyone agrees with my opinion.” Which is perfectly fine.

If only that were the problem with that particular contingency.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I don’t understand TWD. Never had fun with it. Games are quick. Maybe I haven’t given it a chance or maybe I suck, but I do not like it.

Give it time. It takes a while to get it going on every game, so it doesn't get amazing right off the bat when you press start. The only problem with that advice is the game is also BRUTAL. So yeah, play better is the only way you're going to see the glory of one of the best pins ever made (graced with one of the ugliest, least-desirable art packages).

#39 2 years ago

Walking Dead - love the show….love the game. Didn’t like the art on the premium - couldn’t afford the LE. Bought the pro.

#40 2 years ago

68 to 55, Dialed In ahead

#41 2 years ago

One thing about Dialed In... it sells for about $2500 below every other JJP LE.... despite it having one of the lowest production runs. I don't get it, but to each their own!

#42 2 years ago

Had both. Fantastic titles! I do have to say TWDLE is way superior in terms of raw gameplay & outstanding code.

DILE is the best shooter I’ve ever laid hands on, period. Theme kills it (for most). To me, I kinda enjoyed the theme! Didn’t have the staying power of my current lineup though...

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

Had both. Fantastic titles! I do have to say TWDLE is way superior in terms of raw gameplay & outstanding code.
    DILE is the best shooter I’ve ever laid hands on, period. Theme kills it (for most). To me, I kinda enjoyed the theme! Didn’t have the staying power of my current lineup though...

Then you clearly haven’t laid your hands on a trek or Spider-Man lol.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah! Real pinball players don't like JJP's! They are too loaded and all those toys get in the way of "the flow" (you know...air). When the ball is able to freely pass from shot to shot without any of those pesky toys and mechs in the way that is true pinball magic, especially at today's $7k - $10k+ price tags.

Right on!

#45 2 years ago

There are a lot of undervalued games out there. but none of them are a Stern or JJP game for sure. A lot better values out there than from these two manufacturers.

#46 2 years ago

TWD is an amazing game.. and I hate the show. I would love to own one eventually.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah! Real pinball players don't like JJP's! They are too loaded and all those toys get in the way of "the flow" (you know...air). When the ball is able to freely pass from shot to shot without any of those pesky toys and mechs in the way that is true pinball magic, especially at today's $7k - $10k+ price tags.
    Right on!

no, the problem with JJP games from people who actually play their games, is that JJP games are just not fun. At all. But are boring and uneventful, because everything is lit all the time and every shot rewards something for some reason. Rules are so over the top complicated, that people stop giving a shit and becomes boring for the player.

#48 2 years ago

Owned both. Sold DI in less than a year and TWD in 2 years. Was too new to the hobby and didn’t have the skills yet to appreciate the greatness of TWD. Bought another TWD. DI doesn’t have 10% the soul of TWD, and a $6k pro is the best “bargain” around for a modern game, IMO.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, the problem with JJP games from people who actually play their games, is that JJP games are just not fun. At all. But are boring and uneventful, because everything is lit all the time and every shot rewards something for some reason. Rules are so over the top complicated, that people stop giving a shit and becomes boring for the player.

You are right! I mean in WOZ how do you even start a Munchkin mode? It can't be simply hitting the "RAINBOW" targets to light the Munchkin mini playfield and then hitting a few loops. In Hobbit how do you even play a chapter mode, the mini LCD couldn't display what shot to hit along with easy to identify lit inserts? No way. In Dialed In there again couldn't be lit inserts for modes with callouts for the shots to hit? Nah. In Pirates there couldn't be a single color assigned to each movie's chapter shots along with callouts? No way.

Sorry but your argument's against JJP (generalized negative statements about all of their games) more often then not come across as hate especially considering that you own LOTR, Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park...all of which contain complex objective based pins with rulesets similar to those found on JJP pins. Hell, the lead programmer on LOTR (Keith Johnson) is the lead programmer at JJP where he continues to create deep rulesets with modes containing great choreography. If someone can understand the rules on LOTR, Ghostbusters, and Jurassic Park then understanding JJP rulesets would be a breeze.

...and finally, lol, every single shot in modern pinball awards at least something (points). Stern's, American Pinball, etc are no different...well maybe Stern as those random shots may award 1 million + points which more often then not makes scores meaningless then they are so large.

Just finally say you hate JJP as a company and all of their games...the ruleset argument isn't there.

End rant, time to go back to staring at my JJP pins that myself and all other JJP owners never play (as we don't know pinball!).

#50 2 years ago

Had A DICE but still have TWDLE. Hard to day which is more undervalued as I sold DI for a good profit

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-undervalued-game-dialed-in-vs-the-walking-dead?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.