677435B3-E5D2-4315-A526-70B7BFEB2D96 (resized).jpeg
1A56404D-2D97-4D47-9E00-216D408EDDEB (resized).jpeg
09B43429-11AA-457E-BA21-6A71C44A96D1 (resized).jpeg
9524AFEF-32A2-4CA6-BB38-76D422C1A87A (resized).jpeg
3F54F92F-C213-428A-99A9-9C2DDAD6CF8F (resized).jpeg
8C26DB1E-BFFB-4E59-9434-742F0604670C (resized).jpeg
89A4755A-0984-4754-9073-DEEB0B2687B0 (resized).jpeg
11A936EE-F62C-4FE3-A743-45126E50E6B0 (resized).jpeg

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

So I watched a video the other day created by Zach with SDTM. (Zach is a terrific guy by the way). And it was a top ten list of the most overrated games.
We’ll it got me thinking…….. What is the most underrated games out there right now?
We’ll I’ve owned about 180 games in the last 7 years, so I move a lot of games because I love to play.
I currently have 2 games for you that I really enjoy for different reasons but I feel are very underrated imho.
One is a game I enjoy playing by myself. The other is my favorite gambling game with my buddies.
1. Game of Thrones. I ended up buying this game again. Very challenging to get to the wizard mode but achievable and has alot of multiballs. I personally really like the upper playfield and the mini wizard mode is certainly achievable by anyone. Absolutely love the sounds, especially Blackwater Multiball yelled out loud by The Hound! It’s terrific to play at home by yourself. Ball times are longer but not Lord of The Rings long. Look up the rules before you jump in. It’s worth it. Choose house Tyrell! It’s adds a ball to extend your multiball!
This is a game that you should play alot by yourself to memorize the shots. If you don’t, you just end up banging posts because the fan layout is so much closer to the flippers than most games. But once you have the shots down, (especially hitting the center shot on the move) it becomes alot of fun.
2. Dolly by Bally. This by far my favorite gambling game with my pinball buddies. Be sure to set the tilt very tight. This makes the game so frustrating yet so addictive. Spelling D-O-L-L-Y P-A-R-T-O-N is very difficult With the tilt tight and makes the ball times so short that you keep coming back for more. Your score really cranks up when you crank through the in line drop targets and raise your multipliers but they don’t rollover to the next ball which I love. They’re reasonably priced and worth buying if you enjoy playing dollar games with your buddies.

What’s your most underrated games?????

#2 2 years ago

The walking dead. Seriously why is this game not top 5?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Okay yeah. I have to agree with this statement. The only reason I can come up with is the theme maybe?
The code on that game is so spectacular that once you learn the strategy, it’s amazing.

#4 2 years ago

People love to hate Johnny Mnemonic, and I really enjoy playing it, so that’s my vote.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Okay yeah. I have to agree with this statement. The only reason I can come up with is the theme maybe?
The code on that game is so spectacular that once you learn the strategy, it’s amazing.

If TWD got a comic book overlay it would sell a LOT. The art package is just too ugly/gross. Turns lots of people off, which is a shame since it is a ridiculously great game. Top 3 for me, and I'm not a fan of horror at all.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

People love to hate Johnny Mnemonic, and I really enjoy playing it, so that’s my vote.

One of the best Midnight Madness modes ever in that game.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The pops to center drain about a third of the time I play it is why I love to hate on TWD.
Everything else is great on it.

#8 2 years ago

TWD is a great game released in a time where everyone was turned off by the cab/trans saying "AMC." (LITERALLY)
The most underrated machines are under rated by the biggest dipshits...as is every list.
As always the problem is not the machine; but the people.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-really-under-rated-pinball-machine
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-under-rated-games-that-are-fun
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-under-rated-pins

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

The pops to center drain about a third of the time I play it is why I love to hate on TWD.

This is an issue. Before i borrowed it I only played it in tourneys and never saw the issue. @ home it IS a thing.

JM was awfull then and is awfull now.

#10 2 years ago

I'd have to go with Popeye. I wouldnt call it a top tier game by any means, but still massively underrated. There is no way it is one of the worst machines of all time as many make it out to be.

The game is loaded with an appealing theme and art package. It's subjective, but I dont really mind the ball being briefly obscured in the corners of the animal lane or under the upper playfields in the pops.

The code is a bit limited and unbalanced, but cool mechs and toys and very loaded game compared to the average stern pro, at probably about 1/3 the cost. The upper playfield is a cool concept, but the sweetpea maze mode is next to impossible and often airballs hitting the glass at least on the game I had.

I was sorta over the game after I hit over 1.5 billion and realized the code limitations, but all in all a great starter pin and criminally underrated.

#11 2 years ago

Roller Coaster Tycoon
Surf n' Safari
Doctor Who
Title Fight

....and yes I have been to PHoF recently, why do you ask?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

1. Game of Thrones. I ended up buying this game again. Very challenging to get to the wizard mode but achievable and has alot of multiballs. I personally really like the upper playfield and the mini wizard mode is certainly achievable by anyone. Absolutely love the sounds, especially Blackwater Multiball yelled out loud by The Hound! It’s terrific to play at home by yourself. Ball times are longer but not Lord of The Rings long. Look up the rules before you jump in. It’s worth it. Choose house Tyrell! It’s adds a ball to extend your multiball!

I totally agree here. GoT is a game that I just traded for a couple of months ago and I really think it is a masterpiece in many ways. The software polish that it was given is awesome and the whole thing really captures the theme and brings it to life. The game is packed, is fast and full of flow. The upper playfield is one of the best ever especially when you're cradling balls both on an upper and lower flipper during multiball.

#13 2 years ago

Stern Playboy - such a fun flowy shooter.

After that… BKSOR; knows exactly what it wants to be and is.

After that, TWD; really another masterpiece other than artwork.

Edit: Oh, and a dialed Ghostbusters

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Love JM. I’ve owned 2 of them! Those ramps are so fast! And that wizard mode, when sections of the playfield lighting shut down is badass. Just love the B movie cult theme classic too.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Stern Playboy?? No kidding. Never owned one. I’ll have to pick one up.

#16 2 years ago

I agree with all your picks!

#17 2 years ago

Maverick. Still the best kept DMD secret. Can still get one in the low $2000s. It is such a hard game to get to the Wizard Mode but never ever feels like a chore when you try. Tons of drops it's a shooters delight. Love it!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Maverick. Still the best kept DMD secret. Can still get one in the low $2000s. It is such a hard game to get to the Wizard Mode but never ever feels like a chore when you try. Tons of drops it's a shooters delight. Love it!

Fun game. The only thing I didn’t like was my ball would get stuck on that set of 3 drop targets in the middle of the playfield when the targets were down.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Stern Playboy?? No kidding. Never owned one. I’ll have to pick one up.

I only put my favorite two pins up in my office, away from the rest!

11A936EE-F62C-4FE3-A743-45126E50E6B0 (resized).jpeg11A936EE-F62C-4FE3-A743-45126E50E6B0 (resized).jpeg3F54F92F-C213-428A-99A9-9C2DDAD6CF8F (resized).jpeg3F54F92F-C213-428A-99A9-9C2DDAD6CF8F (resized).jpeg89A4755A-0984-4754-9073-DEEB0B2687B0 (resized).jpeg89A4755A-0984-4754-9073-DEEB0B2687B0 (resized).jpeg8C26DB1E-BFFB-4E59-9434-742F0604670C (resized).jpeg8C26DB1E-BFFB-4E59-9434-742F0604670C (resized).jpeg
#20 2 years ago

You encapsulated BSOR perfectly! Very underrated and has its own distinct personality.

#21 2 years ago

I only put my favorite two pins up in my office, away from the rest![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well it certainly isn’t hard on the eyes. Heyohhhhh!!!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I agree with all your picks!

Well that's a first! My tastes are not the norm and are eccentric, and I'll rate pins I own good and badly. For example, have Mando, will never leave cause the family loves it due to the theme, whereas I kind of hate it; my lowest rated game.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If TWD got a comic book overlay it would sell a LOT. The art package is just too ugly/gross. Turns lots of people off, which is a shame since it is a ridiculously great game. Top 3 for me, and I'm not a fan of horror at all.

That would be an amazing reskin and I would be a buyer for sure.
I bought the Star Wars cartoon edition for the same reason. Love the artwork, it’s killer.

#24 2 years ago

Well that's a first! My tastes are not the norm and are eccentric, and I'll rate pins I own good and badly. For example, have Mando, will never leave cause the family loves it due to the theme, whereas I kind of hate it; my lowest rated game.

I don’t hate Mando and I don’t love it. Still needs a little more with code IMO. And a little more playing time. Not ready to pass judgement on it yet.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I don’t hate Mando and I don’t love it. Still needs a little more with code IMO. And a little more playing time. Not ready to pass judgement on it yet.

Ya, understandable. I do toss often between love/hate. Seem super sensitive to pitch/horizonal angle which I've played with a lot. I dialed it in about a week ago and started enjoying it again. It still bricks, but not nearly as much. I really need to do the right flipper adjustment so I see black, then I can backhand the right ramp. It's weird, fun, addicting, and pisses me right the fuck off with it's geometry/angles, and the voice gets on my nerve pretty quickly; otherwise assets are awesome! Foundry rocks! Love the upper pf unlike many. Would be a very highly rated pin of mine if the geometry wasn't a mess.

#26 2 years ago

Baywatch is one of the most underrated imo

#27 2 years ago

I just ran through this thread and there are some winners. However, IMO, to be underated it has to be outside the top 100. TWD, DW, and JM do not fall in that category (at least the last time I looked). I agree with Playboy and Baywatch.

Edit: Anyone mentioning a modern Stern, JJP, AP, or Spooky; I'm sure they are the top 100, so relax.

#28 2 years ago

Elvis (#146): I'm not an elvis fan, but the game is loaded, fun and gets no love

Gladiators (#203): some code issues, but the game is loaded and has surprisingly complex code. My favourite sys3 gottlieb

24 (#285!): Horrible art, cheaply built and bad callouts. But the game is designed well. Really fun to play with pretty good code. Hard to find though.

#29 2 years ago

Most UNDERRATED game?

the one you just bought.

#30 2 years ago

Newer Stern: BKSOR. All the reasons listed above plus great use of sound and shaker

Little older Stern: Avatar. Great callouts, speed game, 3d back glass, looks great.

Classic B/W: I500. speed game with a lot of timed modes, great callouts, love the Turbo shot.

#31 2 years ago

Wonka... by far the best shooting JJP

#32 2 years ago

Game of thrones. How is it not top 20?

Also, wwe, decent game that bombed.

#33 2 years ago

Stern SW. I get it, that it failed to live up to the lofty expectations everyone had when it was originally released. I was disappointed as well, but the code and audio/video assets really carry what's laking topside IMO. I don't think it deserves top 10, but it should be in the top 20.

#34 2 years ago

Cactus Jack’s

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes! I would instantly buy this if it had different art. I don’t even like looking at it myself but with young kids in the house, the current version is a definite pass, even though I really enjoy playing it.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Stern SW.... I don't think it deserves top 10, but it should be in the top 20.

Man no. No it shouldn't.

Tell me which games it bumps off to get to top 20. You're gonna have quite an argument on your hands.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Because the ratings are horseshit. The top 10 still has some 90's B/W games in it. Not saying they aren't good games but that alone proves the horseshit that is pinside ratings. BKSOR got a bad rap by the "world under the glass" douchebags but it is an amazing pin, that would get my vote for most underrated.

#38 2 years ago

Hot Wheels

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man no. No it shouldn't.

Tell me which games it bumps off to get to top 20. You're gonna have quite an argument on your hands.

Its cool. We don't have to agree. I'd personally kick off MB, TMNT, TBL, and Stranger Things. Not saying those games are bad, I just prefer SW over them. I'm sure that by listing some games, I'll take some rage, but again there's no requirement that we have to have identical tastes.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Agreed. I’ve always thought this was one of the “biggie bang for the buck” games you could buy. And now that there’s a color dmd for it, it makes even more enjoyable. The timed modes themselves are longer than normal so you really have to concentrate to complete all modes.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Agreed.

#43 2 years ago

AMH

#44 2 years ago

Jungle lord by Williams is an underrated game. And some people I talk to say it’s better than black knight in gameplay only which I agree.

#45 2 years ago

I don't know if is the most underrated but I picked up a World Poker Tour and I really like it. The art is terrible but I find it super fun to play. I got it in a two for one for TZ and although TZ is cooler I like playing WPT more.

#46 2 years ago

Judge Dredd. A really unique layout with a lot going on - and no pop bumpers, so it plays very fast for a widebody! Oh, and the soundtrack rips, too.

#47 2 years ago

The code on this game is fantastic and most people are not aware how great it really is unless you play a lot of games. Very balanced scoring.
Not the most aesthetically pleasing with cheap toys but who cares.

#48 2 years ago

Ya, understandable. I do toss often between love/hate. Seem super sensitive to pitch/horizonal angle which I've played with a lot. I dialed it in about a week ago and started enjoying it again. It still bricks, but not nearly as much. I really need to do the right flipper adjustment so I see black, then I can backhand the right ramp. It's weird, fun, addicting, and pisses me right the fuck off with it's geometry/angles, and the voice gets on my nerve pretty quickly; otherwise assets are awesome! Foundry rocks! Love the upper pf unlike many. Would be a very highly rated pin of mine if the geometry wasn't a mess.

Your Mando must be setup like shit. Herb and I setup his Mando at the bar and it was a first run shipment and the thing has flow for days. Out of the box you can backhand the large encounters ramp, and backhand the scope shot. Can’t believe you think it bricks!?! In the words of Skull/Steve Richie, play better!

JM has flow for days, and people who say it drains out the pops need learn how to nudge and slap save lol.

These must be the folks who play exclusively 5 ball, unlimited ball save

Caveman, bought it for shits and giggles, got tons of hate and trash talking at the show, then people played the hell out of it for 2 days straight, nearly 300 plays. Even the veteran players would play multiple games for 30 minutes and swear the whole time!

Hardbody is a fantastic game and it doesn’t make a bit of sense why it’s in the bottom 5!(#358) games on Pinside!
Hollywood Heat is shallow but for what it is, it’s fun and cheap, deserves to be a pretty mid-rated game.

Orbitor 1 actually sold well when it came out, but history has forgotten that, mainly due to incorrect assumptions. More people need to learn and understand how to play it and they’d enjoy it.

Night Moves has been underrated forever, as the greatest cocktail ever made and a lot of pinball in a small package.

#49 2 years ago

Today's under-rated machine is Led Zeppelin. Many have come to their own pre-mature conclusions without really digging into it. Probably one of Stern's best machines ever made. Super sleeper game

For an older title I would say Barbwire. Many dismiss it for theme but the layout is fantastic and never seems to get old for me.

#50 2 years ago

This. Best Stern ever outside of TWD.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 10.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-underrated-game?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.