677435B3-E5D2-4315-A526-70B7BFEB2D96 (resized).jpeg
1A56404D-2D97-4D47-9E00-216D408EDDEB (resized).jpeg
09B43429-11AA-457E-BA21-6A71C44A96D1 (resized).jpeg
9524AFEF-32A2-4CA6-BB38-76D422C1A87A (resized).jpeg
3F54F92F-C213-428A-99A9-9C2DDAD6CF8F (resized).jpeg
8C26DB1E-BFFB-4E59-9434-742F0604670C (resized).jpeg
89A4755A-0984-4754-9073-DEEB0B2687B0 (resized).jpeg
11A936EE-F62C-4FE3-A743-45126E50E6B0 (resized).jpeg
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 2 years ago

Baywatch

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

See, Doctor Who, to me, is a top five pin. Now understand I know it isnt everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely adore the game. Just the perfect amount of depth for me.

Absolutely. Max loop multiplier the exterminate the droids. Never gets old for me.

#103 2 years ago

I have to chime in with Baywatch as well. The game feels like it has a ton of shots like a wide body without the clunkyness of one. The modes are good and there is plenty to do. Multiple choice skill shot as well with appropriate risk/reward scoring. Chads rework has made a good game even better.

-"Locked ball. . .ALRIGHT!"

#104 2 years ago

XMLE

It's not going anywhere anytime soon from my collection.

#105 2 years ago

X-Men LE - one of the most loaded Stern’s ever with incredible artwork, dots and great music. I believe it was the second to last Stern with a true backglass. I miss mine.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

X-Men LE - one of the most loaded Stern’s ever with incredible artwork, dots and great music. I believe it was the second to last Stern with a true backglass. I miss mine.

It takes time to dial it in, but once the work is done, the shots flow like butter.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The Avengers and F14. They’re 154 and 155 which is ridiculously low.
Don’t think I’ve seen any game suffer more from early, resolvable issues and group think on Pinside than The Avengers. When dialed in it has some extremely satisfying shots (especially ripping the BW spinner ramp), one of the best toys in pinball and some unique rules. Far from perfect but highly underrated.
I was really surprised to see how low F14 is rated. It’s a classic that’s hard to find fault with IMO. Just hard to find one in good cosmetic and mechanical condition that plays as intended.

idk .....f14 to me is pretty lame for a system 11, it would barely make the top 10 in system 11s for me

#108 2 years ago

I’ve always thought Mustang was underrated.

Fun game and first wizard mode was a hoot.

#109 2 years ago

Easy choice for me. With Houdini @ 82nd, it is underrated and belongs in the top 30.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I think its funny mentioning a game from the top 100 and saying they are underated.

I totally agree. How many pins have been made over how many years. Anything in the top 100 is worth owning.

There are games I would definatly swap out of the top 100-200 and replace with 100 games. Actually, I think these fun 100-200 games should stay were they are so prices can stay good. Let's move Congo, WCS, DW, Jurasic Park (DE), CP, Getaway, and HS to 100-200 for anti-price pumping. (that's a joke of course.)

With that said. Games I believe really should be in the top 100 from 100-200.

BDK, BW, JM, DM, and TF. From the games I have played, I would displace, BR, Beatles, Star Gazer, Taxi, and EBD.

#111 2 years ago

JM has already been mentioned - one of my favorites.

But this one hasn't: JackBot. Killer game!

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Easy choice for me. With Houdini @ 82nd, it is underrated and belongs in the top 30.

yes. Houdini is sweet!

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hardbody is a fantastic game and it doesn’t make a bit of sense why it’s in the bottom 5!(#358) games on Pinside!

Another shout out to Hardbody here. If we're talking about underrated, it's hard to do any better than a bottom 5 game that I find to be addictive beyond any reasonable explanation. Double playfields, flex saves, 4 flippers, and not much else, but the scoring rules are simple enough and the objective is pretty fun to achieve. You can buy this gem for 1000-2000. I got mine for 1100 late last year. I can't think of another game where I've had this much fun, dollar for dollar.

I own one and I'm actively looking for a second one that's in better shape, if anyone has one. Plus if you put in a color-changing bulb in the backglass, you get an effect that's pretty freakin sweet!

I've played nearly every game mentioned on that 300-350 list, and Hardbody is easily the best of that group. I'm shocked it's rated that low. It doesn't look pretty but boy is it fun!

And I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but I had a blast playing Nitro Ground Shaker, rated around 300. I really liked that one too. It doesn't deserve to be rated so low.

Hardbody still better.

#114 2 years ago

Disagree. It's hard to make pinball that is not fun. Stern managed to do that with the Avengers. One of the worst pins ever made. I've played it many, many times trying to find something to like.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Disagree. It's hard to make pinball that is not fun. Stern managed to do that with the Avengers. One of the worst pins ever made. I've played it many, many times trying to find something to like.

At least you’ve played it more than once and made up your own mind. Hope others keep an open mind. Don’t understand how Hulk toy with a lifting ramp bridge, unique versus modes, cross playfield spinner ramp and beautiful Hulk back glass aren’t likable or fun but everyone to their own.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Quoted from 27dnast:

yes. Houdini is sweet!

Houdini is CRIMINALLY underrated. It has everything people say they like in pinball. It's big knock? "It's too hard"
Give me a break. Most people complain about games being too easy. I specifically look for games that are more challenging for my home collection.

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Houdini is CRIMINALLY underrated. It has everything people say they like in pinball. It's big knock? "It's too hard"
Give me a break. Most people complain about games being too easy. I specifically look for games that are more challenging for my home collection.

Well it is too hard though, to the point i started hating playing it and sold. Shame, because the theme and artwork are amazing.

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

JM has already been mentioned - one of my favorites.
But this one hasn't: JackBot. Killer game!

Jackbot also rocks!

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Transformers is very much underrated in my opinion. It's a really nice flowy layout, and also just fun to play.
Popeye is also awesome.

I agree…. Specifically, TF Pro is the most underrated modern Stern. Sharkey’s Shootout is 2nd. “Most underrated game” can’t be a game in the top 100.

There are other games way underrated …(many games in the 200’s and 300’s). But most “pinball players and collectors” entering into the scene in recent years with more money than sense, would not know a good game even if it cut off the sticky ego attached to their shoulder. Recently, Pinside actually has almost nothing to do with having fun playing or talking about pinball.

I have better and more interesting pinball conversations with the owners of games I fix who have only had one Classic Bally in their basement for 30 years and don’t even know companies still make pinball machines.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Well it is too hard though, to the point i started hating playing it and sold. Shame, because the theme and artwork are amazing.

Take another look if you have a chance. The game is set up too hard by default as I pointed out to AP twice, back in the day. Last year I heard Josh on a podcast admitting the major flaw to Houdini code was setting the game up too hard. Anyways, it has always been very adjustable in the game menu and now the default has been made “normal”.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Elvis (#146): I'm not an elvis fan, but the game is loaded, fun and gets no love
Gladiators (#203): some code issues, but the game is loaded and has surprisingly complex code. My favourite sys3 gottlieb
24 (#285!): Horrible art, cheaply built and bad callouts. But the game is designed well. Really fun to play with pretty good code. Hard to find though.

elvis is a great game. Le in todays terms.

#123 2 years ago

I'd have to go with Sharky's Shootout. I keep coming back to that game again and again. I own over a dozen Sterns and it's the one I play the most.

#124 2 years ago

It is not likely worthy of Top 100 but I gotta toss another vote in for Nascar. It was the game that got me back into the hobby so I'm probably biased.

#125 2 years ago

Always use to be TFTC for best bang for the buck many years ago

#126 2 years ago

I basically looked at list and worked from dead last 361 and worked toward 250.

1st thing I wonder is how many people actually played the game that they are rating? Or are they rating games based on looks/what others say? Because I see some glaring discrepancies.

Hardbody at 358 is way under. I can play it or bmx all day long. Can never find/afford a bmx so actively looking for a $1000 range hardbody.

Raven at 354 is another one. Granted it's not deep. But it's a straight up target game. If you enjoy your late 70s em target pins then you would enjoy this game.

Spring break at 346- install version 2 1 ball rom and will change game dynamics. Not saying top 200 but higher than 346. If it has the version 1 multiball rom, then yeah I could see the low 346 rating.

Al's garage band at 332 is way to low. By no means not a top 100 yet deserves better than 300.

Strikes n spares at 326 is odd because It's not really a pinball. It's like playing shuffle/ball bowling but in a pinball cabinet. It's the bowling version of a baseball pitch & bat game. We play the shit out of it on location. Playing by yourself I can see it not being as fun. As it's way better with friends/gambling/talking shit deal.

Cactus Jack's at 270. How can you dislike singing cacti! Easy top 200. It's just cheezy fun.

Genesis at 260. I'd say arguably best of 80b and deserving of top 100. Genesis is the poor mans bride of pinbot. Bop is currently 93rd. I feel genesis is better than it.

#127 2 years ago

NBAFB is so underrated.

#128 2 years ago

Dirty Harry has not been mentioned yet. Definitely should be in the top 100. Great theme, call outs, dots and modes. "That's how we do things in San Francisco"

I absolutely love Indy 500. It has always been overlooked when talking about the 90's B/W greats.

#129 2 years ago

I never really looked much in the 200-300 range, but why is LW3 205?

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

But most “pinball players and collectors” entering into the scene in recent years with more money than sense, would not know a good game even if it cut off the sticky ego attached to their shoulder. Recently, Pinside actually has almost nothing to do with having fun playing or talking about pinball.

Genuine question - what has changed? (I bought my first pinball machine in July).

Black Hole is massively underrated IMO, although I’m only judging based on the app.

#131 2 years ago

Octoberfest is top 30 easy

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from smognote:

Octoberfest is top 30 easy

I have played two copies and couldn't get up the side ramp consistently. It was nearly impossible in both cases. Has this issue been resolved? Other than that pretty significant issue, the game is fun and quirky.

#133 2 years ago

This IS an underrated thread right?
Gold wings all day long

09B43429-11AA-457E-BA21-6A71C44A96D1 (resized).jpeg09B43429-11AA-457E-BA21-6A71C44A96D1 (resized).jpeg1A56404D-2D97-4D47-9E00-216D408EDDEB (resized).jpeg1A56404D-2D97-4D47-9E00-216D408EDDEB (resized).jpeg
#134 2 years ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Genuine question - what has changed? (I bought my first pinball machine in July).
Black Hole is massively underrated IMO, although I’m only judging based on the app.

Just picked up my second, made the mistake of selling the first.

First class ass kicking machine, you earn that multiball.

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This IS an underrated thread right?
Gold wings all day long
[quoted image][quoted image]

Another System 80 I miss time to time, siren never gets old. Cool layout.

Looking over the bottom half of the list I see a few oddities.

DE Playboy rated 353? That is criminal, its a far better game than Hook which is rated 275 and Mr and Mrs Pacman rated 343. I could NOT WAIT to disassemble Pacman to restore a Flash Gordon. I'm playing the game going WTF, there is nothing to hit and it has the worse "video mode" ever. I would vote it dead last for all the games I have played.

Gold Wings at 329? Also better than Hook or Pacman, though I'd call it close on Hook.

Checkpoint at 313 but Bally Trek at 305? I have owned two Bally Trek's, Checkpoint beats the title like a rented mule. DMD game with speech, ramp, shaker, choice of soundtrack and autolaunch. Trek might as well been an EM for what it brings to the table, matter of fact might have been better as an EM with chimes instead of those Gawdawful early Bally tones.

Space Invaders at 256? Great art, cool sound effects.. and shallow as a cookie sheet. Boring! I rolled it on the first day it was here and lost all interest shortly after.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

Genesis at 260. I'd say arguably best of 80b and deserving of top 100. Genesis is the poor mans bride of pinbot. Bop is currently 93rd. I feel genesis is better than it.

Wow Genesis is 260?

This game has multiball, playfield multipliers, super catchy music, bright & well-placed flashers, and a pretty neat objective to boot. Sure that translite isn't pretty, but it's easily replaceable.

I agree. Very under-rated.

#137 2 years ago

Shadow is my vastly underrated suggestion.

Outstanding game example, but very polarizing to players. I am in the camp that loves it.

No pop bumpers. The most amazing ball lock. Variable back glass options.
677435B3-E5D2-4315-A526-70B7BFEB2D96 (resized).jpeg677435B3-E5D2-4315-A526-70B7BFEB2D96 (resized).jpeg

#138 2 years ago

Torpedo Alley.

Amazing game with easy to understand rules, fun campiness, awesome multiballs, under playfield animations and the best sound package of the 1980s. I would place this game next to any other A/N game and strongly recommend it. It is also still dirt cheap. I have the most expensive Torpedo Alley in my basement in the history of confirmed game sales... I paid $2300 for it. The reason I believe it isn't a higher rated game is that they only delivered 200 to the states. There are only around 50 left in existence...

Super fun game I'd highly recommend and an awesome bang for your buck!

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have the most expensive Torpedo Alley in my basement in the history of confirmed game sales... I paid $2300 for it.

I paid 16k to obtain mine

Out of the five purchased, TA is last man standing though I'd like another Stern Trek.

20200627_164224 (resized).jpg20200627_164224 (resized).jpg
#140 2 years ago

While I too love my XMLE mentioned previously, if you haven't played Wheel of Fortune (#243) you are missing out....

I went to the PHOF with one plan in mind, try every Stern SAM machine to find one I'd like. When I stepped up to WOF, I had seen the reviews on pinside and wasn't expecting it to be so much fun. While the top is a simple fan layout with inline drops, the bottom is an ass kicking challenge that plays unlike any other pin. Try it, you won't be disappointed (unless you like long ball times).

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

It's a game that needs to be set up in a very specific way... if its off just a tad, the shots are annonyingly difficult. My knock on it is that it doesn't have enough latitude, design-wise, to shine without a very specific setup parameters. There's a Houdini at a location near my home... I played it several times and absolutely hated it. Pops were dead, the game's pitch was way too flat, and the game clunked like no other. So, what did I do? Naturally, I bought one! . 180-deg difference once I got it in the home and meticulously dialed it in.

It really has everything - amazing rules, great pinball moments, fun mechs. A+. One of the better games made in the last handful of years.

#142 2 years ago

RBION. I’m on my second.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Maverick. Still the best kept DMD secret. Can still get one in the low $2000s. It is such a hard game to get to the Wizard Mode but never ever feels like a chore when you try. Tons of drops it's a shooters delight. Love it!

I got to agree with this, Maverick never gets boring, I still get that rush when I play it time after time! I’ll probably never let it go.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man no. No it shouldn't.
Tell me which games it bumps off to get to top 20. You're gonna have quite an argument on your hands.

We all have different tastes. I think SW is better than at least 14 of the top 20 games.

#145 2 years ago

XMEN LE. Most underrated and misunderstood game out there. And a screaming value for a loaded LE with a real mirrored backglass.

#146 2 years ago

For me, it's two that have already been mentioned...

Alien Poker - Absolutely forces you to aim. Can't just bat the ball around and get anywhere.

NBAFB - This is just plain fun. I've had and sold it twice. Would love to add another to the collection at some point.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

People love to hate Johnny Mnemonic, and I really enjoy playing it, so that’s my vote.

I'm with johnny mnemonic too

#148 2 years ago

TWD prem/LE, easy top 3
Alien, top 15
Baywatch, top 50
Stargate, top 50

#149 2 years ago

Dolly makes for the best dollar games. The rule set is so stupidly simple, but is incredibly hard to execute consistently. She can be so sweet to you sometimes, and then absolutely evil. I also put a powerball in mine, which makes things even more fun.

Next time I’m working on it I’m going to change the settings so that the drops don’t collect “Parton” letters, to incentivize you shooting the spinner to get up to the scoop.

81FCF971-D279-451B-819E-C28068F56FE7 (resized).jpeg81FCF971-D279-451B-819E-C28068F56FE7 (resized).jpeg
#150 2 years ago

BM66….should be top 5

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.00
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-underrated-game/page/3?hl=smognote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.