IMG_0134 (resized).JPG
20479713_10155628939023619_1219219928262704554_n (resized).jpg
rockettes (resized).jpg
ghostbuppers (resized).png
Frontier Strategy (resized).png
lightning ball bob herbison (resized).jpg
20170806_212234 (resized).jpg
DSCN2066 (resized).JPG

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

My vote for the most satisfying shot in pinball goes to. . .

. . .releasing the fire gods on 1972 Fireball, a dead-on strike of the messenger ball, the shot emanating from the right 2 inch flipper, releasing both captive balls.

While I have posted this topic in the EM pinball hangout, I do not mean to limit this inquiry to electromechanical games. Nevertheless, I shall maintain consistency by echoing my nomination for the identical shot in 1985 Fireball Classic, from the right 3 inch flipper. I'm wondering which shots stand out to other pinsiders.

DSCN2066 (resized).JPGDSCN2066 (resized).JPG

20170806_212234 (resized).jpg20170806_212234 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

My most satisfying shots come from medieval. Probably more like favorite toy.

I really like getting shadow going.

The middle with the magnet pull.

#3 6 years ago

Second ball into the ring destroying it. Destroy the ring, LOTR. Most angering to miss as well.

#4 6 years ago

Nailing the super jackpot in T2 from the moving cannon while keeping multiball going.

#5 6 years ago

Quicksilver - One well-aimed shot can sweep down all the bottom drop targets while still having enough energy to rip that left spinner. Ahh! Nothing beats the sound of that spinner when it's lit

#6 6 years ago

High Speed: Left orbit to feed the third flipper and banging it up the ramp.

#7 6 years ago

If we're talking about EMs, nailing those spinners on Grand Prix is satisfaction to the max.

If we're talking about SS, that leftmost rampshot around the back of the playfield on BSD is smooth and buttery. Just feels good.

#8 6 years ago

My vote goes to the upper left lock shot in Spirit

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Nailing the super jackpot in T2 from the moving cannon while keeping multiball going.

I did this once while cradling a ball on each flipper

#9 6 years ago

TFTC right ramp

#10 6 years ago

Getting Randsom on black knight 2000

#11 6 years ago

It's simple, but I never get tired of the TZ lock shot.

#12 6 years ago

Today: nailing the eight ball drop target cleanly in Eight Ball Deluxe

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Quicksilver - One well-aimed shot can sweep down all the bottom drop targets while still having enough energy to rip that left spinner.

Yeah That's one of my faves easy. most of my fave shots are backhands.

#14 6 years ago

You know you breath pinball when you find yourself here.

#15 6 years ago

What I meant is I am now thinking not only the best shot in pinball, but the best shot in each individual game.

#16 6 years ago

Super Jackpot hole-in-one on NGG.

#17 6 years ago

Two threads on the same topic?
As I posted in the other thread I immediately had to think of Gottlieb's Lightning Ball from 1959. Wayne Neyens, the designer of the game (and featured in the upcoming Pinball Magazine No. 5), laid out the rubbers on this game so that you could make a shot from the right flipper --> left rubber --> center rubber at the top --> right rubber --> back to the left flipper and then make it the other way around. On his whitewood he had drawn a diamond shaped path to indicate the shots with a red marker. In the artwork of the game this was replaced with lightning bolts, much to Wayne's disliking as the shots were less obvious. The game pictured here was brought to the Texas Pinball Festival a few years ago by Bob Herbison. More on this story, and many other ones, in Pinball Magazine No. 5

lightning ball bob herbison (resized).jpglightning ball bob herbison (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Mine is "Magnet shot" Dr.Dude

#19 6 years ago

Frontier Strategy (resized).pngFrontier Strategy (resized).png

#20 6 years ago

1. Burying any vari-target

2. Getting a bullseye special on Jet Spin/Super Spin

3. On TOTAN, ricocheting off the left side targets into the upper right side targets to collect two letters in SESAME in one shot. Sometimes, if the lamp is positioned right, the ball will bounce back and hit the lower targets again.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Two threads on the same topic?
As I posted in the other thread I immediately had to think of Gottlieb's Lightning Ball from 1959. Wayne Neyens, the designer of the game (and featured in the upcoming Pinball Magazine No. 5), laid out the rubbers on this game so that you could make a shot from the right flipper --> left rubber --> center rubber at the top --> right rubber --> back to the left flipper and then make it the other way around. On his whitewood he had drawn a diamond shaped path to indicate the shots with a red marker. In the artwork of the game this was replaced with lightning bolts, much to Wayne's disliking as the shots were less obvious. The game pictured here was brought to the Texas Pinball Festival a few years ago by Bob Herbison. More on this story, and many other ones, in Pinball Magazine No. 5

Apologies for a similar or duplicate thread. I don't post much. But, when I do, I drink. . .er. . .I meant to say that when I do, I conduct a search in advance to avert duplication.

No prior thread was disclosed in my search of similar "best/satisfying shot" terms. Oh well.

#22 6 years ago

Currently my most satisfying shot is trying to line up the 10x (x2) in front of the "5" on the roto of Dancing Lady. If you can manage to get it all set up and nail it before one of the 10X bonuses advances past it, you can collect 500 points. Hearing that big gong sound five times is a beautiful thing.

The downside is I find my scores have actually suffered as I spend all my energy trying to manipulate the game for that perfect shot.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

on 1972 Fireball,

Just making the Skill Plunge alone, is satisfying on Fireball.

Abra Ca Dabra, after all the drops are down, hitting the lit Center Target, that ca-cunk of the re-setting targets and then not loosing the ball SDTM. Can be really satisfying.

For Sky Jump, off of the left flipper, hitting the side of the Number 7 Drop Target, especially if Number 7 is the last Drop Target standing, ball continues up through the lit Number 6 Roll Over, then after that the ball will hopefully return back through a different numbered roll over, or the same one again for additional points.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Just making the Skill Plunge alone, is satisfying on Fireball.
Abra Ca Dabra, after all the drops are down, hitting the lit Center Target, that ca-cunk of the re-setting targets and then not loosing the ball SDTM. Can be really satisfying.
For Sky Jump, off of the left flipper, hitting the side of the Number 7 Drop Target, especially if Number 7 is the last Drop Target standing, ball continues up through the lit Number 6 Roll Over, then after that the ball will hopefully return back through a different numbered roll over, or the same one again for additional points.

I too am fond of the EM Fireball skill shot, as well as the intermediary, consolation prize skill shot on Fireball Classic.

I also like that long shot to the stand-up target from the left flipper for the extra ball on Joker Poker.

In the woodrail era, my vote goes to the vastly underrated Chicago Coin Thing, for a difficult and very satisfying floater shot to either of 2 perimeter rollovers, which must be made to earn the special within a tight point window. Striking just about any other fixed object on the playfield eliminates that award opportunity.

My prewar game vote goes to Rockola World's Fair Jigsaw, for the 2 upper center holes to complete the puzzle, the center being the most difficult row to complete. My prewar game runner-up is Rockola Army Navy, for its 2 field goal holes, which are very satisfying to sink, when within field goal range.

Some games have epic award shots, like Gottlieb's 1956 woodrail, Derby Day. However, such shots are nearly impossible, not because the shot itself is especially difficult, but because the odds of advancing that far into the game are almost nonexistent. For that reason, I only include satisfying shots that actually occur with some regularity.

#25 6 years ago

Shooting the Vault first try to start multiball on Taf, that and getting a triple jackpot ,SHOWTIME!

#26 6 years ago

Hitting the 2-In-Blue on a Bally bingo. Or an OK with high green odds. Many other bingo shots will get your adrenalin flowing.

#27 6 years ago

Needing and then hitting the 4 on the roto target to complete 1-8 on Buckaroo. Four replays won & four knocks!
Added over 7 years ago: edit: 1 - 7 on Buckaroo (not 1 -
Doh!

Added over 7 years ago: 1 - 8 , not smiley face.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Needing and then hitting the 4 on the roto target to complete 1-8 on Buckaroo. Four replays won & four knocks!

I forgot about the Buckaroo #4. That's a good one.

#29 6 years ago

Oh, are we doing this?

ghostbuppers (resized).pngghostbuppers (resized).png

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Oh, are we doing this?

Nice...... LOL!!!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Many other bingo shots will get your adrenalin flowing.

How about hitting the 16 on your first ball?

My favorite is potting the correct number after multiple ball returns. Each one gets more and more harrowing. Finally you land in the hole you need... Pure magic. Waiting for the replays lets you get rid of the shakes from all the adrenalin.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

How about hitting the 16 on your first ball?
My favorite is potting the correct number after multiple ball returns. Each one gets more and more harrowing. Finally you land in the hole you need... Pure magic. Waiting for the replays lets you get rid of the shakes from all the adrenalin.

Sinking the last ball to complete a vertical 5-in-line with a full screen AND an OK waiting for you at the end on a Bally bingo Magic Screen game!
Then jabbing the 'R" button three different times after moving the screen and hearing those search relays kick in and the replay register racking up games for each color.
Then holding the 'R' button down again to start the OK game going and hearing all of those steppers ratcheting in order and watching everything light up! THANK YOU MR. HOOKER!!!

#34 6 years ago

FirePower II- Right flipper -> left ramp -> left flipper -> captive ball

#35 6 years ago

The Hole in One shot on No Good Gofers(NGG), because it is probably the hardest shot in pinball...which makes it so satisfying when you actually sink it.

#36 6 years ago

1978 Bally Dixieland 6 card EM bingo pinball machine (11 coin max).........4 corners hits on two cards with only 5 balls

Corners features lit at start of game.
You make the magic number on 1st ball (number 1 hole)
You nudge the 2nd ball into the (number 6 hole)
You nudge the 3rd ball into the (number 8 hole)
You nudge the 4th ball into the 10 number hole for 4 corners pays 5 in a line on the 3rd card (the double double payout card) 480 replays.
You nudge the 5th ball into the number 4 hole for 4 corners pays 5 in a line on the 6th(the double double payout card) 2400 replays.

Total 2880 replays....that's a large payout for just investing 11 quarters and so satisfying for sure.

#37 6 years ago

The middle B ramp in T3 is pretty satisfying.. kinda tight and nearly impossible to backhand on purpose... plus those metal ramps sound awesome!

#38 6 years ago

The one that wins me the tournament.

#39 6 years ago

Starting Lost in the zone via the mini playfield Twilight Zone!

#40 6 years ago

When playing a woodrail, almost any ball that exceeds 35 seconds is satisfying. But part of the charm of some of them is discovering a sequence not readily apparent from the score card/rule sheet.

Gottlieb's 1950 Rockettes, has 4 kickout holes in the middle of the playfield spaced about 4" apart. The kickout holes kick in unison in the same direction, advancing the ball to the next hole. They change direction with each step of the 10,000 points unit or by either of two rollover buttons. Unlike a game such as Kings and Queens, or Melody/Sing Along/Pleasure Isle, etc., where the kick out holes are close to one another, the kickouts on Rockettes are far enough apart that the ball doesn't necessarily get advanced into the next hole when activated. That is, the ball is "launched" and may or may not make it into the next hole...

If ball lands in the bottom hole when lit for 500,000 points, and if the holes are set to kick upward, then each hole takes turns being worth 500,000 points, making the advancing ball score 2 million points across the four holes.

I will share that I have had this game for several years and have not, ever, scored the 2 million point shot while playing. (I do know that it works when the glass is off, and even then, the ball doesn't always jump into the next hole...). The best that I legitimately scored was 1.5 million and that was satisfying.

rockettes (resized).jpgrockettes (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago

Hi ZNET +
I do have EM-pins and some Gottlieb-Sys-1 SS pins (I'd prefer to have the EM-versions).

Most satisfying "SS - Sinbad" http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2159&picno=8944 making the last (means making all) Drop-Down-Target - the pin counts down the Bonus-Ladder and I keep the ball in play and then can start with the same ball building-up the Bonus-Ladder once again.

Most satisfying "EM Far Out" http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=823&picno=41880 (aiming and) hitting the "double lighted Drop-Down-Target" - in the ipdb-picture this is the second upwards on the left - as the "double lighted Drop-Down-Target" rewards TWO Bonus plus 5000 points.
(single lighted Drop-Down-Targets reward one Bonus plus 500 point, not lighted Drop-Down-Targets reward only 50 points. In the ipdb-picture the single lighted are: The fourth upwards on the right and the rest on the left). Greetings Rolf

#42 6 years ago

Whirlwind 3 way combo

#43 6 years ago

There's a couple on TOM that feel really good.

After locking a ball, the skill shot is to hit the tiger saw newton ball to advance the clock. After locking the second ball, the trunk spins around to present the magnet for the third ball lock. If you do it just right, you can flip the ball into the newton ball to score the tiger saw skill shot and have it ricochet up into the trunk magnet to start multiball. It's very slick.

Another good one on TOM is when multiball has just begun and the trunk is spun so the hole is facing out for the jackpot. If you time it just right, when the scoop spits out the first ball to the flipper, you can bat it into the hole in a v-shaped shot for a 100M jackpot. Feels good.

In TAXI, although it's not technically a single shot, if you have a good run of alternating left/right ramps quickly (3 shots through each ramp, alternating) to light the million point shot, and then bat it right into the saucer for the million and set off the lightshow, you feel like a king.

#44 6 years ago

Being able to pass the ball from the right to the left flipper or vice versa

#45 6 years ago

One million in comet is radical when you hit when lit.

#46 6 years ago

Whirlwind three-way combo.

#47 6 years ago

I agree that the 1 million shot in Comet is pretty satisfying.

3 weeks later
#48 6 years ago

Any shot to complete a mode just after the timer expires, but just before the grace period expires.

#49 6 years ago

Classic Stern spinners for me. A fully dialed Meteor spinner with all but one drop down or a fully loaded clean right spinner on Flight 2000 sweeping the lit three bank drop targets. F2K probably takes the cake for me.

#50 6 years ago

1. Ghostbusters- Storage Facility Multiball: hitting thatt 3rd lock to activate the sounds and lights hits me in the feels everytime and gets my adrenaline going

2. Circus Voltaire- Sinking a ball under the ringmaster to defeat him

3. Star Wars- Hitting the hyperspace ramp

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Durham, NC
$ 45.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-satisfying-shot-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.