• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fletch.jpg
1392.gif
image-5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

There are some ridiculous ones (in terms of them not being modes at all) on some SEGA and DE games. Like, for example, many games have an "Extra ball" mode. Essentially, hit one shot for an extra ball.

Maybe a history lesson is in order here. You can't compare the modern concept of a "mode-based game" with what games were like in the early 90s.

Consider the evolution of how we got to the modern mode-based ruleset:

- Earthshaker: Go in a hole and get a random award
- Whirlwind: Go in lit hole to get a "random" award, but you can see what they all are (none are modes, BTW, though you could possibly consider Quick Multiball a mode, and, today, maybe you would), and you get a big award for getting all of them
- FunHouse: Same as Whirlwind, but now there IS a mode (Superdog). The final award is also a mode (Super Frenzy).
- TAF: FunHouse on steroids, there are 6 modes and 6 awards (could count 7/5), and kind of a mode at the end.
- TZ: About the same as TAF really, just more.
- IJ: The first truly totally mode-based game?

There may be a pure mode game before IJ I'm forgetting, but I don't think so. So, given history, I would not consider extra ball awards "ridiculous" even if it seems ridiculous in a modern context.

Quoted from tamoore:

There are some other ridiculous ones such as on rocky and bullwinkle, where you have so little time to complete one, that the chance you're going to is very small. The "Waybac" mode on R&B gives you only a few seconds to hit a ramp as many times as you can, with the ball returning to the wrong flipper. If you get one, you're doing well.

I can't disagree with your WABAC assessment at all.

Quoted from wontwa:

As for ridiculous - while I looooooove some Tron, the Flynn mode is pretty ridiculous. Maybe that's more pointless than ridiculous, though?

You'd think it's pointless, but I've seen more than one world-class-level player start Portal without having Flynn first.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That would be rather hard since you have to have Flynn to start Portal. I think you meant Sea of Simulation?

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Also: " is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible" is a straw man argument. It is the EASIEST shot in the game. Your pin would have to be completely FUBAR for this shot not to work. Your argument could be easily applied to ANY pinball machine's intended shot mode.

The pin does not have to be FUBAR, it just has to be a little bit dirty. Considering that:

1. 95-99% of games in that era went out to locations instead of homes.
2. 95-99% of location games are quite a bit more than a little dirty.

Then yes, it is basically a pipe dream for that mode to be effective in 90%+ of the games that were out there. And this is from personal experience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 110.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-ridiculous-mode-on-a-pin?tu=pinball_keefer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.