• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fletch.jpg
1392.gif
image-5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

There are some other ridiculous ones such as on rocky and bullwinkle, where you have so little time to complete one, that the chance you're going to is very small. The "Waybac" mode on R&B gives you only a few seconds to hit a ramp as many times as you can, with the ball returning to the wrong flipper. If you get one, you're doing well.

That's not exactly the case. The ball returns to the left flipper, meaning you're supposed to back-hand the shot as they intended. It only takes 2 seconds to loop the shot, and they give you 4 seconds in order to make it (after the first grace period). That's plenty of time. I hit 11 in a row once, and time was never an issue. It's designed to run out of time if you miss the shot, so the point of the mode is most consecutive back-hand shots without a miss. That's why the game saves a separate high score table for this mode alone.

BTW, if you can't back-hand the WABAC ramp, then something is seriously wrong with your machine. It's the easiest shot in the game.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

On the one hand, you may be correct. On the other hand, Keith couldn't argue with me about the Wabac, which doesn't hurt my stance I don't believe.
I doubt I can hit a backhand shot to Wabac on my machine. I'll check it out though... it would make that mode much more playable for sure.

My machine is completely restored (hardware anyway), with the correct vintage NOS parts as per the manual. My flippers, linkages, and coils are all brand new and to exact specifications. The whole playfield is in absolutely tip-top shape, and it took me a year and $2,000 to do it. But even so, the back-hand WABAC shot should be very easy even on a beat up machine so long as your flippers are properly powered, serviced, and adjusted.

And by the way, it doesn't matter if Keith agrees with you because you'd both be wrong. The timer resets the 4 seconds every time you trip the loop. So as long as you don't miss the backhand, you can keep it going for as long as you can handle it. Again, that's the whole point of the mode. It's simple, elegant, and makes perfect sense.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was just playing a R&B the other week (sadly) and goddamn that thing has the strongest flippers I've seen in a long time. I had to check to make sure they where the correct ones...so there should be more than enough power.

The manual shows they are 23-900 coils with a 50 VDC pulse and 8 VDC hold powering them. That's what I have in my machine, and it's more than enough power. The right side flipper can just barely hit a backhand there, but mostly you cannot hit it and must hit the right ramp with the left flipper. This makes sense, since the right ramp is also the jackpot ramp. This again is provided you have the proper coils, power, and the flippers are aligned properly to the divots on the playfield.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from marble:

So you are saying that a mode that ...
* is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible
* consists only of hitting the same shot over and over again
* is giving out DMD animations totally unrelated to the points given out of the shots
* doesn't give out any info what could possibly happen if you hit the shot once (or 10 times) more
* is possible to keep going forever
... isn't even a little ridiculous?
When I first saw this topic, I though this mode was the perfect answer for the question and was delighted to see tamoore already mentioning it.
So far no other mode in any game than Wabac has forced me to take off the playfield glass and test the mode manually to see what is the purpose and possible goal of the mode. Testing this only gave me more evidence that this is indeed one of the most ridiculous modes in pinball history.

I don't see what the problem is. The WABAC mode shot is SIMPLE to understand:

Object:

1. To repeat the same shot as many times as possible without missing (15-sec grace period given on first shot once mode is triggered).

2. Each shot sends you further back in time by a century. If you miss after the 2nd shot, your time will run out before you can recover, thus, it is an "in a row" contest.

3. The furthest back in time player gets to put their initials in for the record (which is battery saved like the high score record).

What's so hard about that to understand? Why is an intended backhand shot mode so "ridiculous"?

Also: " is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible" is a straw man argument. It is the EASIEST shot in the game. Your pin would have to be completely FUBAR for this shot not to work. Your argument could be easily applied to ANY pinball machine's intended shot mode.

1392.gif1392.gif

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The pin does not have to be FUBAR, it just has to be a little bit dirty. Considering that:
1. 95-99% of games in that era went out to locations instead of homes.
2. 95-99% of location games are quite a bit more than a little dirty.
Then yes, it is basically a pipe dream for that mode to be effective in 90%+ of the games that were out there. And this is from personal experience.

My machine was a rusted pile of junk from having been a road pin for 20 years. Even with that, the shot worked fine before I did anything to it. Of course, I did have to spend 2 grand restoring it, but that was because I liked the challenge of hunting down parts piece by piece.

But again the argument is a straw man because it can be made about any pin. Think about it: Would you really entertain a point made about a mode expecting a specific shot to be "ridiculous" because it might not be possible on a beat up and/or dirty machine? Of course not. But even so, the shot is the easiest to make in R&B, so even a dirty machine shouldn't stop it unless you had something physically wrong with the flipper play.

I'm thinking I may need to make a video demonstrating how straight forward and easy the shot is. It's almost as easy as doing the ramp loop in Earthshaker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-ridiculous-mode-on-a-pin?tu=FirebrandX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.