Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fletch.jpg
1392.gif
image-5.jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

Are backhands even thought about when designing a playfield layout?

most certainly!

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

Are backhands even thought about when designing a playfield layout?

Boy, what in THE hell is the matter with you?

fletch.jpg
#103 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

Are backhands even thought about when designing a playfield layout? Can't see Ritchie planning for Doc Ock all day strat for example.

About the only way to hit the EB target on FT, with a direct flipper shot, is backhanded from the right flipper. I've played a few where getting the Caster's Club lock was backhandable from the right flipper. That made the game too easy IMHO.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Boy, what in THE hell is the matter with you?

When people used to consider cradling a ball cheating until 20 years ago, I thought it was a fair question!

Edit: on topic contribution - Baywatch flipbuttonsasfastaspossible video mode!

#105 4 years ago

On SOF, the jackpot is acquired by locking the balls, starting multiball, shooting up onto the upper PF and hitting the lit target (which moves from left to right). I find it particularly challenging because the pop-up targets remain as they were before the mode started, so not only do you have less spots to hit and more waiting to do, in some cases, you also run the risk of dropping a ball down and back onto the lower pf. All this while holding at least one other ball on the lower left flipper (or, I suppose, upper left flipped as well), and only after you have gotten up onto the upper pf.

I'm not as good of a player as many here, so I'm sure many of you find that one to be a cakewalk, but for me it's a very difficult shot to make, and it's immensely satisfying when I do get it.

#106 4 years ago

Lyman's Lament on MB. Get criticized by Lyman Sheats for your poor play when the ball drains.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The pin does not have to be FUBAR, it just has to be a little bit dirty. Considering that:
1. 95-99% of games in that era went out to locations instead of homes.
2. 95-99% of location games are quite a bit more than a little dirty.
Then yes, it is basically a pipe dream for that mode to be effective in 90%+ of the games that were out there. And this is from personal experience.

My machine was a rusted pile of junk from having been a road pin for 20 years. Even with that, the shot worked fine before I did anything to it. Of course, I did have to spend 2 grand restoring it, but that was because I liked the challenge of hunting down parts piece by piece.

But again the argument is a straw man because it can be made about any pin. Think about it: Would you really entertain a point made about a mode expecting a specific shot to be "ridiculous" because it might not be possible on a beat up and/or dirty machine? Of course not. But even so, the shot is the easiest to make in R&B, so even a dirty machine shouldn't stop it unless you had something physically wrong with the flipper play.

I'm thinking I may need to make a video demonstrating how straight forward and easy the shot is. It's almost as easy as doing the ramp loop in Earthshaker.

#108 4 years ago

The hardest/most ridiculous mode I can think of is The Witch King in LOTR. I've beaten it several times, but it's so difficult to do, and so much harder than any of the other modes in that game.

For anyone that doesn't know, you have to make I believe 4 combo shots, the first either being the right orbit or the left ramp, then the right ramp only as the second shot. You have like two seconds to make the right ramp before it times out, so basically any chance at a right orbit and right ramp is pure luck hitting it on the fly, and you have to concentrate on left ramp/right ramp combos.

You really want to stack this with a MB, but it's always hard.

Come to think of it, as ROTK MB is really a mode as well that needs to be completed, and is always the Achilles heel of getting to Valinor, maybe that is the hardest "mode" for all intents and purposes.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Come to think of it, as ROTK MB is really a mode as well that needs to be completed, and is always the Achilles heel of getting to Valinor, maybe that is the hardest "mode" for all intents and purposes.

I disagree that it's the hardest to complete - all the shots are controlled shots (well, you need to be able to live-catch the gandalf feed and the right orbit feed). The actual difficulty is in line with FOTR and TTT, IMO, but getting into a 2nd one is SO MUCH WORK.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

I disagree that it's the hardest to complete - all the shots are controlled shots (well, you need to be able to live-catch the gandalf feed and the right orbit feed). The actual difficulty is in line with FOTR and TTT, IMO, but getting into a 2nd one is SO MUCH WORK.

Not a chance. TTT can be beaten almost every time, easiest thing in lotr. FOTR is much easier as well.

Rotk is by far the hardest thing to complete.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Lyman's Lament on MB. Get criticized by Lyman Sheats for your poor play when the ball drains.

Actually, this is a great one for this thread - surprised it hasn't been mentioned. (Though I guess it's more of an easter egg?) Start a mode (without the cheat code) by hitting the same shot 45 times?!? So fun.

I actually did this on TPA because it's one of the wizard goals. It was...underwhelming, to say the least.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

BSD is risk reward especially since the speeds are faster in the later levels of the video mode. Kill all the wolves quickly and get less points. Wait till the last second for max points, but risk losing. One of the better video modes for this reason.

Exactly! You have to risk waiting until the wolves get right up on you to maximize your score. Have you ever made it to the second wave? It gets MUCH faster and more difficult. That is why completing the second wave awards an extra ball.

Here is a ridiculous mode: Satellite Transfer on Congo. It starts after 8 hits to the two yellow stand-ups at the top center of the playfield. You only hit these when you are missing shots! When the mode starts you are asked to again bash these same dangerous shots for 10M/hit, which in Congo scoring is not much. During this mode you are locked out of progress towards anything else so you usually just time the mode out. The only cool thing is the easter eggs it will doll out if you can get more than 7 shots.(Mooing cow, Peking duck, Move Your Car, etc)

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

The video mode in FT is pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's awesome, and fun to play, but it really doesn't make any sense.

If you have ever tried to go fishing on a lake to get some peace and quiet, much less, not scare the fish from coming out to feed because of motorboats and what a friend of mine calls "obnoxious water-borne motorcycles"... this mode makes perfect sense.

HA!

1 month later
#114 4 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I don't get the video mode hate for Johnny.
It's random, requires skill, and it can reward decent points and light the EB.
I have a Johnny that currently has the hand broke. While it does get old having to play the video mode first every time, it is still valuable.

Wow i thought i was the only one who enjoyed JM's Video mode.

Also On BSD Change it To EXTRA HARD to make the mode more enjoyable

#115 4 years ago

Shoot Out and Letter Bomb in Dirty Harry are both very difficult.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

If you have ever tried to go fishing on a lake to get some peace and quiet, much less, not scare the fish from coming out to feed because of motorboats and what a friend of mine calls "obnoxious water-borne motorcycles"... this mode makes perfect sense.
HA!

You're so right. This mode cracks me up every time I get it. Blast the jerkskiers and hit the EB! Any fisher can party harder then a jetskier but when you're on the lake...You shut your g@dd@mn trap!

#117 4 years ago

True to the arcade game, BBH frog flipping bonus round, love it.

#118 4 years ago

My vote goes to Tommy's video mode, although it does give you some time to run to the fridge for another beer

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.99
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside