Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fletch.jpg
1392.gif
image-5.jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the original post?

Seems more like badly written or pointless, not just difficult.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

fair enough.

#53 4 years ago

Wasn't Lights...Camera...Action the first real mode-based game? I remember reading an interview somewhere with Jon Norris where he describes putting a test game on location and excitedly waiting for someone to come up and discover mode-based pinball.

#54 4 years ago

Here it is. http://www.papinball.com/Jon_Norris_Interview.html

PAPB:
How did you come up with the concept of modes and timed modes? Also, please describe what a mode is.

JN:
The idea came from a TV game show concept - Final Jeopardy. A mode or round is a timed event, where the player must either complete a given task, or collect high scores before time expires. The player may have the opportunity to add to their elapsed time, or slow down the clock during the round.

Regarding the history of this feature, there are several electro-mechanical games and early solid state games that had "one shot" or "hurry-up" features. These features would qualify a target, shot, or bank completion for an increased value or award for either a short timed period or next shot. One good example of a one shot was used on Gottlieb's 300 / Top Score (1975). A SPECIAL would light, but hitting anything, any switch closure, other than the lit target, immediately eliminated the feature. A good example of a hurry-up was seen on Bally's Viking (1979). On this game, the upper left target would begin flashing for an award of 50,000. This would continue for three or four seconds, then go away. This feature caused the player to suddenly change priorities. A replay equaled 600,000, so making / hitting this target was worth 8% of the replay score. During the hurry-up, a unique sound is heard, alerting the player to the feature.

I wanted to offer the player a bonus round for completing an objective. With John Trudeau's layout and my rule set, Excalibur was the first game to incorporate this feature. The concept was a lot of fun, and had the potential to be used again. The next logical step was to design a mode based game around this concept, where the main game play would be built around these "rounds". Red Alert was going to be a mode based game, but I had to wait for Lights Camera Action (1989) to unleash a full blown mode based game. I put the large timer on the playfield to help players learn the timed mode concept. The highly visible timer counts down, and the music changes during these timed events. Most regular players take modes for granted today, but that was a lot different back in 1989. We also had to turn off all playfield features except for the active features to clearly define the currently active feature to the player. Later on Shaq Attaq, I added a feature where if the player was successful in completing the task at hand during the mode, then a completion light was turned-on, and the ultimate goal was to be successful in completing all modes. This solved the catch the ball and wait for the mode to expire before continuing game play problem. A low risk way to receive an award/feature for completing all modes.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Most ridiculous mode on a Pin Award goes 2 SF2 ,, the Lower p/f where you Bash a car .. + I couldn't stand the Pin ...

That's because SF 2 is the WORST DMD game ever made ....well it's tied. with Xfiles.

Xfiles and SF2 are the shittiest DMD's EVER!

I can't say it enough.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That's because SF 2 is the WORST DMD game ever made ....well it's tied. with Xfiles.
I can't say it enough.

Why so reserved ..... speak your mind, let it out! You feel so much better afterwards

#57 4 years ago

Pinball in video mode TOM.

Why video Pinball while your playing real Pinball? Ugh Lame.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

haha yes. also TOM's implementation of "video pinball" is particularly lame. I mean, I realize the designers were extremely limited in hardware power, screen quality, and dev time, but jeez.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Best part is that the side shots are the easiest and the center is the hardest - completely opposite of actual pinball.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

You'd think it's pointless, but I've seen more than one world-class-level player start Portal without having Flynn first.

That would be rather hard since you have to have Flynn to start Portal. I think you meant Sea of Simulation?

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Shootout on Dirty Harry. Seems easy, but there's not enough time. I had a DH for 6 months and I never finished it. I'm sure it's been done before, but they definitely made it too hard.

Shootout is completely impossible. I've run through it tons of times and never come close. I hear people saying they get it regularly but that's got to be a weaker setting. Standard is 20 seconds...insane.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Surely the worst idea for a video mode, and in the running for worst execution as well.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from XOX:

Surely the worst idea for a video mode, and in the running for worst execution as well.

I don't seem to hate it as much as everyone else does. It's not great by any means, but up against JM or for god sakes Doctor Who....def better than that garbage.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That would be rather hard since you have to have Flynn to start Portal. I think you meant Sea of Simulation?

I've once started SoS with everything started and nothing complete. Needless to say, not a great game haha.

Turns out to complete Flynn in SoS, you have to shoot the arcade.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Turns out to complete Flynn in SoS, you have to shoot the arcade.

I actually did not know that.

#66 4 years ago

TOM, haha. "Yo dawg, I heard you like pinball, so I put a pinball in your pinball so you can play pinball while you play pinball."

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

13-ball Multiball on Apollo 13 is nuts.

It probably is the most ridiculous thing in pinball. That being said it's really fun to do.

I have mine set to hard so it very rarely occurs. Keeps it fresh and ridiculously fun when it does happen.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

There are some other ridiculous ones such as on rocky and bullwinkle, where you have so little time to complete one, that the chance you're going to is very small. The "Waybac" mode on R&B gives you only a few seconds to hit a ramp as many times as you can, with the ball returning to the wrong flipper. If you get one, you're doing well.

That's not exactly the case. The ball returns to the left flipper, meaning you're supposed to back-hand the shot as they intended. It only takes 2 seconds to loop the shot, and they give you 4 seconds in order to make it (after the first grace period). That's plenty of time. I hit 11 in a row once, and time was never an issue. It's designed to run out of time if you miss the shot, so the point of the mode is most consecutive back-hand shots without a miss. That's why the game saves a separate high score table for this mode alone.

BTW, if you can't back-hand the WABAC ramp, then something is seriously wrong with your machine. It's the easiest shot in the game.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that.

#70 4 years ago

Gladiators 'slay the dragon' wizard mode is pretty goofy. For those not in the know, its basically 3 shots while the shaker motor is going crazy. After you make the third shot its over and the game suddenly stops so you can put your initials in, then the game starts again.

#71 4 years ago

SF2 and many other Gottlieb System 3's have Double your score modes which can be a bit absurd. If I remember correctly Tee'd Off has one that you double your score or go back to zero points.

I still really enjoy SF2 though. Tough shots, nice layout. Just some odd modes.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Ive still never seen barnyard or ruling the kingdom.

I can help you with Barnyard. I've noticed in playing MM in Pinball Arcade that the order the catapult objects appear in is NOT random. In fact, the first five all seem to go in order. (At least, in there. If this can be adjusted on the real machine then this information may or may not help.) So if you want to intentionally go for Barnyard, what you want to do is shoot for the catapult all day and you want to press the flipper buttons to launch items in this manner:

1st Catapult Launch - Hold the flippers before it even starts cycling items.
2nd Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the first blip sound.
3rd Catapult Launch - Press the flippers right between the first and second blip sounds.
4th Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the second blip sound.
5th Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the third blip sound.

That SHOULD get you all five items if your timing is perfect and then it's just one more catapult shot to start Barnyard. Adjust your timing if you're getting repeat items or end up missing one.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

That's not exactly the case. The ball returns to the left flipper, meaning you're supposed to back-hand the shot as they intended. It only takes 2 seconds to loop the shot, and they give you 4 seconds in order to make it (after the first grace period). That's plenty of time. I hit 11 in a row once, and time was never an issue. It's designed to run out of time if you miss the shot, so the point of the mode is most consecutive back-hand shots without a miss. That's why the game saves a separate high score table for this mode alone.
BTW, if you can't back-hand the WABAC ramp, then something is seriously wrong with your machine. It's the easiest shot in the game.

On the one hand, you may be correct. On the other hand, Keith couldn't argue with me about the Wabac, which doesn't hurt my stance I don't believe.

I doubt I can hit a backhand shot to Wabac on my machine. I'll check it out though... it would make that mode much more playable for sure.

#74 4 years ago

Maybe a history lesson is in order here. You can't compare the modern concept of a "mode-based game" with what games were like in the early 90s.
Consider the evolution of how we got to the modern mode-based ruleset:
- Earthshaker: Go in a hole and get a random award
- Whirlwind: Go in lit hole to get a "random" award, but you can see what they all are (none are modes, BTW, though you could possibly consider Quick Multiball a mode, and, today, maybe you would), and you get a big award for getting all of them
- Funhouse: Same as Whirlwind, but now there IS a mode (Superdog). The final award is also a mode (Super Frenzy).
- TAF: Funhouse on steroids, there are 6 modes and 6 awards (could count 7/5), and kind of a mode at the end.
- TZ: About the same as TAF really, just more.
- IJ: The first truly totally mode-based game?
There may be a pure mode game before IJ I'm forgetting, but I don't think so. So, given history, I would not consider extra ball awards "ridiculous" even if it seems ridiculous in a modern context.

I appreciate the lesson in modes, however, my example of an "extra ball" mode would be exemplified in a game like SEGA's Batman Forever. That game has many later era modes to complete - video modes, timed modes where you must hit several shots/ramps/targets to collect jackpots...as well as an extra ball mode that just lights the extra ball, hit one shot (not timed like a hurry-up) to complete. In a full-on modern mode based pin, that one mode qualifies to me as ridiculous. That was my only point there.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Gemini:

I can help you with Barnyard. I've noticed in playing MM in Pinball Arcade that the order the catapult objects appear in is NOT random. In fact, the first five all seem to go in order. (At least, in there. If this can be adjusted on the real machine then this information may or may not help.) So if you want to intentionally go for Barnyard, what you want to do is shoot for the catapult all day and you want to press the flipper buttons to launch items in this manner:
1st Catapult Launch - Hold the flippers before it even starts cycling items.
2nd Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the first blip sound.
3rd Catapult Launch - Press the flippers right between the first and second blip sounds.
4th Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the second blip sound.
5th Catapult Launch - Press the flippers just as you hear the third blip sound.
That SHOULD get you all five items if your timing is perfect and then it's just one more catapult shot to start Barnyard. Adjust your timing if you're getting repeat items or end up missing one.

Oh I know how to start barnyard. but the real machines play a lot harder than the digital ones. The catapult is the hardest shot on MM. There is a very small sweet spot on the tip of the right flipper to make that shot. If you get it just right you can hit the hidden target in the catapult lane and get 2 catapults at a time too. Its just incredibly difficult to get that many shots to the catapult.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can't say it enough.

Cannot speak of Xfiles, but if you want to tell me SF2 is worse than Shaq attack you need your head examined. Heck I would rather play sf2 than champion pub (owned both). Sure CP is a purdy game, but oh what a steamer. Incomplete rules and what is there is just shoot up the middle all day long. At least SF2 has shot variety and makes you do things.

#77 4 years ago

The video mode in Jurassic Park the lost world is by far the worst mode over.. guy swinging back and forth to leap over a t-rex head...

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

What ever your interruption, doesn't matter. All styles of ridiculousness are welcomed here.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I actually did not know that.

It's not something anyone needs to know haha. It's actually harder to get to SoS without completing Flynn than completing it. It takes a special kind of horrible game to pull that off...

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Cannot speak of Xfiles, but if you want to tell me SF2 is worse than Shaq attack you need your head examined.

Boy that's actually pretty tough call there.

Quoted from tamoore:

I doubt I can hit a backhand shot to Wabac on my machine. I'll check it out though... it would make that mode much more playable for sure.

Was just playing a R&B the other week (sadly) and goddamn that thing has the strongest flippers I've seen in a long time. I had to check to make sure they where the correct ones...so there should be more than enough power.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

On the one hand, you may be correct. On the other hand, Keith couldn't argue with me about the Wabac, which doesn't hurt my stance I don't believe.

My machine is completely restored (hardware anyway), with the correct vintage NOS parts as per the manual. My flippers, linkages, and coils are all brand new and to exact specifications. The whole playfield is in absolutely tip-top shape, and it took me a year and $2,000 to do it. But even so, the back-hand WABAC shot should be very easy even on a beat up machine so long as your flippers are properly powered, serviced, and adjusted.

And by the way, it doesn't matter if Keith agrees with you because you'd both be wrong. The timer resets the 4 seconds every time you trip the loop. So as long as you don't miss the backhand, you can keep it going for as long as you can handle it. Again, that's the whole point of the mode. It's simple, elegant, and makes perfect sense.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was just playing a R&B the other week (sadly) and goddamn that thing has the strongest flippers I've seen in a long time. I had to check to make sure they where the correct ones...so there should be more than enough power.

The manual shows they are 23-900 coils with a 50 VDC pulse and 8 VDC hold powering them. That's what I have in my machine, and it's more than enough power. The right side flipper can just barely hit a backhand there, but mostly you cannot hit it and must hit the right ramp with the left flipper. This makes sense, since the right ramp is also the jackpot ramp. This again is provided you have the proper coils, power, and the flippers are aligned properly to the divots on the playfield.

#83 4 years ago

Yea.. I'll have to check mine out. I can hit both ramps repeatedly fore hand, but I never feel like I have a whole bunch of extra power. Might be OK for the overall health of the machine - other than not being able to backhand wabac...

Also, I get a lot of balls kicking from a super solid shot to the hat shot. I'd like to figure that out, as my scores would get a bunch better the shots would stick.

#84 4 years ago

How did I forget, Ironhide Scoring on TF...uff.

#85 4 years ago

Jumping Rope in Champion Pub. Or just about any other mode on that collection of novelties that tries to call itself a pinball game. That box is filled with POOT!

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Get three Davros waives on Doctor Who on normal settings (no extended ball save) with lightening flippers and you are pretty darn hard core.

I have mine for a year and only did it once

#87 4 years ago

Ooof, Champion Pub.... the most "Not Actually Playing Pinball" ever.

It reminds me of the last days of Bally prior to the Williams buy-out when they really opened themselves up to some wacky ideas in order to stave off going under. In retrospect I really like a lot of those games for being so different, but CP continues to be "Not Pinball" to me.

Although it kind of follows the Stern ethos of "bash toy extreme" which seems to be popular now.

#88 4 years ago

Most ridiculous mode on a pin?

"Cannonball Run" on CV.

I mean wtf???? It is so pointless it actually makes me laugh every single time it comes up.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

And by the way, it doesn't matter if Keith agrees with you because you'd both be wrong. The timer resets the 4 seconds every time you trip the loop. So as long as you don't miss the backhand, you can keep it going for as long as you can handle it. Again, that's the whole point of the mode. It's simple, elegant, and makes perfect sense.

So you are saying that a mode that ...

* is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible
* consists only of hitting the same shot over and over again
* is giving out DMD animations totally unrelated to the points given out of the shots
* doesn't give out any info what could possibly happen if you hit the shot once (or 10 times) more
* is possible to keep going forever

... isn't even a little ridiculous?

When I first saw this topic, I though this mode was the perfect answer for the question and was delighted to see tamoore already mentioning it.

So far no other mode in any game than Wabac has forced me to take off the playfield glass and test the mode manually to see what is the purpose and possible goal of the mode. Testing this only gave me more evidence that this is indeed one of the most ridiculous modes in pinball history.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from marble:

So you are saying that a mode that ...
* is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible
* consists only of hitting the same shot over and over again
* is giving out DMD animations totally unrelated to the points given out of the shots
* doesn't give out any info what could possibly happen if you hit the shot once (or 10 times) more
* is possible to keep going forever
... isn't even a little ridiculous?
When I first saw this topic, I though this mode was the perfect answer for the question and was delighted to see tamoore already mentioning it.
So far no other mode in any game than Wabac has forced me to take off the playfield glass and test the mode manually to see what is the purpose and possible goal of the mode. Testing this only gave me more evidence that this is indeed one of the most ridiculous modes in pinball history.

I don't see what the problem is. The WABAC mode shot is SIMPLE to understand:

Object:

1. To repeat the same shot as many times as possible without missing (15-sec grace period given on first shot once mode is triggered).

2. Each shot sends you further back in time by a century. If you miss after the 2nd shot, your time will run out before you can recover, thus, it is an "in a row" contest.

3. The furthest back in time player gets to put their initials in for the record (which is battery saved like the high score record).

What's so hard about that to understand? Why is an intended backhand shot mode so "ridiculous"?

Also: " is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible" is a straw man argument. It is the EASIEST shot in the game. Your pin would have to be completely FUBAR for this shot not to work. Your argument could be easily applied to ANY pinball machine's intended shot mode.

1392.gif

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Not so much a classic mode as it is just imbalance within a games rule set. But I always thought that blue Trolls light on Medieval Madness is - rediculous.
Unless you have Trolls in multiball madness or get smack-a-troll mode (not available in tournament mode) you will never reach it. The Troll build targets are just too dangerous to manage a stratigic progress for that far out reachable goal. In contrast Trolls in multiball makes the goal much easier to achieve.
Also the troll bombs are similary too hard to achieve once trolls are lit.
I believe they should have made the troll build targets active during multiball.

I think you can get smack-a-troll in tournament mode

#92 4 years ago

The video mode in FT is pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's awesome, and fun to play, but it really doesn't make any sense.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Most ridiculous mode on a pin?
"Cannonball Run" on CV.
I mean wtf???? It is so pointless it actually makes me laugh every single time it comes up.

relax,it's just J pop revisiting the backbox animation from the 60's

peace out man.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

relax,it's just J pop revisiting the backbox animation from the 60's
peace out man.

I love my CV, no hard feelings here...

#95 4 years ago

Generally, I gotta say, all Video Modes are ridiculous. They break the flow of the game.

That said, DW gets a lot of grief, but at least there's some kind of challenge that feels like a video game. There's a fun variety of graphics, sound clips, a solid goal and a fair bit of challenge.

The one that just upsets me is BSD. I love every aspect of the game except the video mode. I can't call it ridiculous because that's an insult to all things classified as "ridiculous".
Shoot, left, right....ooh that's tricky. The graphics / sounds are monotonous.
faz

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

The video mode in FT is pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's awesome, and fun to play, but it really doesn't make any sense.

I can totally understand the video mode because I go fishing on Lake Powell and there is nothing worse than finding a sweet fishing spot and then have jet skiers and boaters keep zipping pass you. It's very frustrating. Almost enough to blow them out of the water with torpedos

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Also: " is playable only on machines where a backhanded ramp shot is possible" is a straw man argument. It is the EASIEST shot in the game. Your pin would have to be completely FUBAR for this shot not to work. Your argument could be easily applied to ANY pinball machine's intended shot mode.

The pin does not have to be FUBAR, it just has to be a little bit dirty. Considering that:

1. 95-99% of games in that era went out to locations instead of homes.
2. 95-99% of location games are quite a bit more than a little dirty.

Then yes, it is basically a pipe dream for that mode to be effective in 90%+ of the games that were out there. And this is from personal experience.

#98 4 years ago

The pin does not have to be FUBAR, it just has to be a little bit dirty. Considering that:
1. 95-99% of games in that era went out to locations instead of homes.
2. 95-99% of location games are quite a bit more than a little dirty.
Then yes, it is basically a pipe dream for that mode to be effective in 90%+ of the games that were out there. And this is from personal experience.

My machine is clean and cosmetically flawless and has been in a home environment for no less than 10 years.

I can't backhand that ramp. It hasn't had a flipper rebuild done, but the sleeves were replaced 2 years ago or so. Every other shot on the machine is easily made.

#99 4 years ago

Are backhands even thought about when designing a playfield layout? Can't see Ritchie planning for Doc Ock all day strat for example.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The one that just upsets me is BSD. I love every aspect of the game except the video mode. I can't call it ridiculous because that's an insult to all things classified as "ridiculous".
Shoot, left, right....ooh that's tricky. The graphics / sounds are monotonous.
faz

BSD is risk reward especially since the speeds are faster in the later levels of the video mode. Kill all the wolves quickly and get less points. Wait till the last second for max points, but risk losing. One of the better video modes for this reason.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 219.99
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside