Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fletch.jpg
1392.gif
image-5.jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

So I was playing my TMNT this weekend and using the rulesheet. I found that if you do a roll over on the left inlane it lites save April in the top right side at the spinner for 5 seconds. If you hit the shot 6 times it lites "Awesome" mode. More like "Ridiculous" mode! You've got to hit at least one target on each turtle (4 in total) in 15 seconds or less. If you manage to pull that off then it lites the 2 ramps which you must also hit in 15 seconds or less to cash in the bonus score. If not, you start all over again. Oh and each turtle hit is worth 100,000 but honestly...how many turtle hits are you going to get in 15 seconds? Just doesn't feel as rewarding as much work I have to put in. Especially when the first shot in the game is worth 250,000 and if you can do it twice it's worth double. The super hard "Awesome" mode isn't even worth the first skill shot. I've put a pic in for those who haven't got to play this machine. Don and Raph are on the left. Mikey up the middle and Leo to the right. Just ridiculous! image-5.jpg

#2 5 years ago

IM DoD multiball wizard mode. I can't tell why it's ridiculous cause I'll never get there (with the glass on). Second is RBION Atlantis....I'll never see that one either.

#3 5 years ago

I think the video mode on Johnny mnemonic is very ridiculous , but that my personal opinion

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

I think the video mode on Johnny Mnemonic is very ridiculous , but that my personal opinion

I don't think its ridiculous,it just sucks.

#5 5 years ago

Shooting up the ramp a million times on BDK is pretty ridiculous.

#6 5 years ago

Tommy is a great machine, but the video mode is just ...

#7 5 years ago

getting to video mode on medieval madness is pretty hard. you have to complete the word FIRE via all four inlanes 8 times, so an absolute bare minimum of 32 inlane rollovers if you're perfect at switching lanes.

getting to Maximum Acceleration mode and reaching Warp 9.9 on STTNG is super hard also, much harder than the Final Frontier or anything else on the table.

Bride of Pin*Bot Backdoor Billion is pretty much impossible with the glass on.

#8 5 years ago

Get three Davros waives on Doctor Who on normal settings (no extended ball save) with lightening flippers and you are pretty darn hard core.

#9 5 years ago

Real Pins:
* Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode on The Simpsons Pinball Party (Stern).
* Valinor Multiball on Lord of the Rings (Stern).

Digital Pins:
* Peak Performance (Wizard Mode/Frenzy) on V12 (Zen Studios).
* Final Mission (Wizard Mode) on Excalibur (Zen Studios).

#10 5 years ago

The trivia mode in NBA Fastbreak qualifies. Big points for the rare pinhead whose 90s NBA stats knowledge is as fine tuned as their pinball skills.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

getting to video mode on Medieval Madness is pretty hard. you have to complete the word FIRE via all four inlanes 8 times, so an absolute bare minimum of 32 inlane rollovers if you're perfect at switching lanes.
getting to Maximum Acceleration mode and reaching Warp 9.9 on STTNG is super hard also, much harder than the Final Frontier or anything else on the table.
Bride of Pin*Bot Backdoor Billion is pretty much impossible with the glass on.

Agreed! I didn't even know MM had a video mode until someone told me recently.

#13 5 years ago

'Game over' mode sucks

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

13-ball Multiball on Apollo 13 is nuts.

I don't think I've ever gotten a jackpot in 13-ball multiball, whether in real life or virtually, until I'm down to four balls or less. How can you hit the rocket (close up as it is) when there are three balls in front of it constantly?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

I don't think I've ever gotten a jackpot in 13-ball multiball, whether in real life or virtually, until I'm down to four balls or less. How can you hit the rocket (close up as it is) when there are three balls in front of it constantly?

Oh, its super easy! Just take the glass off.

#16 5 years ago

speeder mode on star wars
you just have to watch the animation and you got 10M points... :-/

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

'Game over' mode sucks

free play mode softens the sting

#18 5 years ago

If we're talking ridiculous to get to then a lot of wizard modes qualify, like on Simpsons, WOZ and LOTR.

If we're talking ridiculous in just what they actually DO... I recently found out what "Barnyard Multiball" is in Medieval Madness... and I pretty much couldn't stop laughing the entire time it was going! XD

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

peeder mode on Star Wars
you just have to watch the animation and you got 10M points... :-/

Aaaah yeah I was so dissapointed when I finally got to play DE Star wars, and started the speeder mode. I was like "yeah this will be awesome"....but no mode, just an animation -_-

#20 5 years ago

Else I think the Q's pen, on Goldeneye is ridicilous in terms of the time you have to hit the shot several times. I know people have done it, but its so goddamn hard. The time I by chance completes it, I have no other choice than to get to wizard mode

#21 5 years ago

Keifer's invitational would fit this category I believe. Not sure anyone has gotten there, almost as hard as wizard mode on WOF.

#22 5 years ago

There are some ridiculous ones (in terms of them not being modes at all) on some SEGA and DE games. Like, for example, many games have an "Extra ball" mode. Essentially, hit one shot for an extra ball.

There are some other ridiculous ones such as on Rocky and Bullwinkle, where you have so little time to complete one, that the chance you're going to is very small. The "Waybac" mode on R&B gives you only a few seconds to hit a ramp as many times as you can, with the ball returning to the wrong flipper. If you get one, you're doing well.

#23 5 years ago

Always thought "Bad Impersonator" was a little ridiculous on JD but I don't dislike it.

#24 5 years ago

Not so much a classic mode as it is just imbalance within a games rule set. But I always thought that blue Trolls light on Medieval Madness is - rediculous.

Unless you have Trolls in multiball madness or get smack-a-troll mode (not available in tournament mode) you will never reach it. The Troll build targets are just too dangerous to manage a stratigic progress for that far out reachable goal. In contrast Trolls in multiball makes the goal much easier to achieve.

Also the troll bombs are similary too hard to achieve once trolls are lit.

I believe they should have made the troll build targets active during multiball.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from LorenZ:

Tommy is a great machine, but the video mode is just ...

True that.

You get more points by not moving anything in the video mode......

#26 5 years ago

Shootout on Dirty Harry. Seems easy, but there's not enough time. I had a DH for 6 months and I never finished it. I'm sure it's been done before, but they definitely made it too hard.

#27 5 years ago

The "Wizard Bonus" round on Wheel of Fortune is pretty insane. I don't know anyone who has gotten there, and from what I hear it's worth 0 points

Also on the opposite end of the ridicolous spectrum is Monopoly's Cash Grab, which is very easy to get to, very easy to play, and is worth insane amounts of points. Also it can be stacked with a multiball for even more points.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

getting to video mode on Medieval Madness is pretty hard. you have to complete the word FIRE via all four inlanes 8 times, so an absolute bare minimum of 32 inlane rollovers if you're perfect at switching lanes.

I have played that game on location and on the pinball arcade hundreds of times and never seen it, never seen anyone else get it either, dont even know what the video mode on that game is or looks like!

#29 5 years ago

it's a little dude running on the ground pitchforking crows out of the sky. Not that great of a video mode.

#30 5 years ago

Hm, I think MM's video mode is actually one of the better ones. It's definitely more playable than AFM's saucer mode, which is basically sweep n' pray. Decent control, obvious objective, and a bit of strategy in staying towards the middle as much as possible. Easy to complete if you use the smart bomb, not as tedious as AFM.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I have played that game on location and on the pinball arcade hundreds of times and never seen it, never seen anyone else get it either, dont even know what the video mode on that game is or looks like!

I've had it 2 or 3 times o my machine on the default level. but I have lowered mine to, i think, 5 completions to trigger video mode and I've seen it a few more times.
Its fun, its sort of like playing defender but you are running on the ground rather than flying to stab (shoot) the vultures (aliens)
Ive still never seen barnyard or ruling the kingdom.

#32 5 years ago

- Road Course on NASCAR (25 laps to start )
- Frog Frenzy in RBION
- Knight Mission in Junkyard (I have never been able to obtain anything during this mode because how precisely you need to shoot)
- Dark Phoenix in X-Men (10 minutes? Really?)

Digital tables:
- Gold Rush in El Dorado (Pinball FX2)
- Death Star in A New Hope (Pinball FX2)
- Sorcerer Mode in Doctor Strange (Pinball FX2)

#33 5 years ago

Stargate:

Getting up the left ramp seems so easy. I can shoot it every time I DON'T need to shoot it.

However, get into a mode where I must or try to get the combo going.... epic fail!

Sandstorm is SOOO worth it though
faz

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

When you get your MMr, I bet that you find that this isn't as difficult as you think it is now. I mean, you definitely won't be getting it every game, but it won't be that rare of an occurrence either.

#35 5 years ago

Not sure if others would call this a mode, but;

Black Knight, you can only score Special if you have played a muliti player came and you are the winner. You then have 60 seconds to hit all the targets and make the loop shot

#36 5 years ago

The hurry-up in Jack-bot is ridiculous. A hard and risky shot that only activates rarely and is worth so few points.
Mega-ramp is also pointless its basically another hurry-up, comes up more often but worth far too few points at least it is a low risk shot.

If a shot doesn't score enough points to be worth the risk = design fail.

#37 5 years ago

I don't own one, but I found Apollo 13's 13 ball multiball 'ridiculous'. Seriously. Other than seeing $20 worth of pinballs on the playfield at once I don't get it.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

I think the video mode on Johnny Mnemonic is very ridiculous , but that my personal opinion

Quoted from fiberdude120:

I don't get the video mode hate for Johnny.

It's random, requires skill, and it can reward decent points and light the EB.

I have a Johnny that currently has the hand broke. While it does get old having to play the video mode first every time, it is still valuable.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Aww, man. Really? I'd like to offer an adjective besides ridiculous and sucky. How about the WEIRD! It's so strange trying to navigate that thing, but upon multiple plays you kind of get in a rhythm of how you need to manipulate the movement.

Poor Johnny,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

It's random, requires skill, and it can reward decent points and light the EB.
I have a Johnny that currently has the hand broke. While it does get old having to play the video mode first every time, it is still valuable.

Seconded - JM is one of the few video modes I really enjoy.

As for ridiculous - while I looooooove some Tron, the Flynn mode is pretty ridiculous. Maybe that's more pointless than ridiculous, though?

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Oh, hey! Someone else who feels the same way!

Quoted from ectobar:

it is still valuable

...and challenging. AND FUN!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

Seconded - JM is one of the few video modes I really enjoy.

Oh, BEWM!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Other than seeing $20 worth of pinballs on the playfield at once I don't get it.

Laughed out loud. Great comment.

#44 5 years ago

The best and most ridiculous pinball mode ever is barnyard multiball on MM.

#45 5 years ago

Most ridiculous mode on a Pin Award goes 2 SF2 ,, the Lower p/f where you Bash a car .. + I couldn't stand the Pin ...

#46 5 years ago

How did this thread become about hard modes?

It's too easy to pick on Lonnie Ropp games, but they deserve it. Baywatch shark attack mode and standup modes are next-to-useless points-wise, and just asking for a drain. This would be fine, but you can't do anything while the mode is running like locking a ball or progressing toward Earthquake, and it's a FORTY-FIVE SECOND TIME-OUT. Disgusting.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Most ridiculous mode on a Pin Award goes 2 SF2 ,, the Lower p/f where you Bash a car .. + I couldn't stand the Pin ...

Agree, the toy is ruined by the insane difficult curve. On the other hand, set it to tournament mode and the game itself, while ugly, is fun to play.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

How did this thread become about hard modes?

the original post?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

There are some ridiculous ones (in terms of them not being modes at all) on some SEGA and DE games. Like, for example, many games have an "Extra ball" mode. Essentially, hit one shot for an extra ball.

Maybe a history lesson is in order here. You can't compare the modern concept of a "mode-based game" with what games were like in the early 90s.

Consider the evolution of how we got to the modern mode-based ruleset:

- Earthshaker: Go in a hole and get a random award
- Whirlwind: Go in lit hole to get a "random" award, but you can see what they all are (none are modes, BTW, though you could possibly consider Quick Multiball a mode, and, today, maybe you would), and you get a big award for getting all of them
- FunHouse: Same as Whirlwind, but now there IS a mode (Superdog). The final award is also a mode (Super Frenzy).
- TAF: FunHouse on steroids, there are 6 modes and 6 awards (could count 7/5), and kind of a mode at the end.
- TZ: About the same as TAF really, just more.
- IJ: The first truly totally mode-based game?

There may be a pure mode game before IJ I'm forgetting, but I don't think so. So, given history, I would not consider extra ball awards "ridiculous" even if it seems ridiculous in a modern context.

Quoted from tamoore:

There are some other ridiculous ones such as on rocky and bullwinkle, where you have so little time to complete one, that the chance you're going to is very small. The "Waybac" mode on R&B gives you only a few seconds to hit a ramp as many times as you can, with the ball returning to the wrong flipper. If you get one, you're doing well.

I can't disagree with your WABAC assessment at all.

Quoted from wontwa:

As for ridiculous - while I looooooove some Tron, the Flynn mode is pretty ridiculous. Maybe that's more pointless than ridiculous, though?

You'd think it's pointless, but I've seen more than one world-class-level player start Portal without having Flynn first.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

- IJ: The first truly totally mode-based game?
There may be a pure mode game before IJ I'm forgetting, but I don't think so.

Cue Ball Wizard and Tee'd Off both precede IJ and they are heavily mode-based ... granted, they both kind of suck, though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside