(Topic ID: 272906)

Most overrated game in the current top 10

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which top ten game doesn't belong there?”

• Medieval Madness 28 votes
      5%
    • Attack from Mars 27 votes
      5%
    • Monster Bash 96 votes
      18%
    • Jurassic Park 45 votes
      8%
    • POTC jjp 81 votes
      15%
    • Iron Maiden 40 votes
      8%
    • Twilight Zone 45 votes
      8%
    • Lord of the Rings 14 votes
      3%
    • Metallica 59 votes
      11%
    • Deadpool 96 votes
      18%

(531 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

demoman.gif
    Screenshot_20200714-132043_Photos (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200714-132009_Photos (resized).jpg
    ea834a5c73c36be293463ffd0fc4deb1 (resized).jpg
    20200714_010258 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 3 years ago

I'm not a fan of this newer way of thinking (it really crept in with the higher prices) that games have to have all this 'depth', and be able to be played repeatedly in a home collection to be great games.

That's a style, and something to be valued when you're eyeing the price of a new game for sure, but it's not a great criteria for actually judging a game in so many other ways. Flash Gordon is a great game, and it will never make one of these lists.

Monster Bash doesn't have depth. No question. But it's an all time classic for a reason. It has the full package in so many other ways. If you can only own one game it's probably not the one to have, for sure. If you're building a collection of 10 games would it hold its own? I think so. It's just fun to play, it doesn't ask you to commit to too much, it's great for guests, and just an overall smile builder. My only knock on it is it's overpriced. Collector value is the least interesting thing about any pinball to me.

Lord of the Rings is kind of the opposite. I think it would make a poor "only can own one game" too, but for the opposite reason. To really get anywhere on it you need an epic 45 minute game. If it's all you had to play you'd probably burn out. But again, in a 10 game collection it's great to have that super deep game for when you're in the mood for a real journey. I wouldn't want too many "Keefer" games, just because I wouldn't play all of them often enough. His designs are brilliant, but have that commitment fatigue for me too.

I've sold off a lot of my collection, only kept three, and Metallica is one of them. So I must think highly of it. But I get the "wood chopping" comments too. It's probably not a great "only game" for that reason. But my other two games, Tron and Shadow? I think they stand the test of large and single game collections. Neither of them are in the top 10, but who cares about the top 10? I think I looked at it once when I first joined the site and I haven't paid attention to it since. Never rated a game, never cared.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Man I want me a Shadow and Aurich your not helping making it more awesome and more popular.

If my only real contribution to this hobby is to make people appreciate The Shadow more as a highly under-appreciated game then I'm good with that.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Dude, I thought Shadow was common knowledge as being amazing. I think it's better than AFM and MM (and one million times better than Stranger Things).

What I've learned over the 6 years of doing my alt art package and talking to people is that Alec Baldwin really held people back from playing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-overrated-game-in-the-current-top-10?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.