(Topic ID: 272906)

Most overrated game in the current top 10

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which top ten game doesn't belong there?”

• Medieval Madness 28 votes
      5%
    • Attack from Mars 27 votes
      5%
    • Monster Bash 96 votes
      18%
    • Jurassic Park 45 votes
      8%
    • POTC jjp 81 votes
      15%
    • Iron Maiden 40 votes
      8%
    • Twilight Zone 45 votes
      8%
    • Lord of the Rings 14 votes
      3%
    • Metallica 59 votes
      11%
    • Deadpool 96 votes
      18%

(531 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

demoman.gif
    Screenshot_20200714-132043_Photos (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200714-132009_Photos (resized).jpg
    ea834a5c73c36be293463ffd0fc4deb1 (resized).jpg
    20200714_010258 (resized).jpg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

So, I feel there is at least one game that is over rated in the current top 10. I love Monster Bash, but what the hell is it doing top 10? I'm also not so sure JP should be so high, but I know I'm in the minority there.

So what do you all think? Which games shouldn't be in the tip 100? And if not, what should they be replaced with?

I'd bump Monster Bash out of there and bring up TWD to where it rightly belongs.

#2 3 years ago

MB,MM,AFM,TZ are great pins from the 90's and I don't give the top 100 or 10 any credit at all but these games are sacred cows of the pinball world and thats the only reason in my opinion there are still in even the top 30.

Quoted from Doctor6:

I'd bump Monster Bash out of there and bring up TWD to where it rightly belongs.

Exactly.

#3 3 years ago

Metallica is a wood chopping grind-fest. Still a very good game but not top 10 worthy. TWD is Lyman's masterpiece and has a better and more unique layout. I would swap TWD into the top 10 and put Met in the mid-twenties where TWD currently is.

I also think Rick and Morty will end up a top 10 game once the software is done and more people play it. The theme integration and fun factor is off the charts!

#4 3 years ago

Our AFMr is gathering dust while TWD hasn’t stopped being played in the four years we’ve had it. +1 for TWD to being bumped into the Top 10.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Metallica is a wood chopping grind-fest. Still a very good game but not top 10 worthy. TWD is Lyman's masterpiece and has a better and more unique layout. I would swap TWD into the top 10 and put Met in the mid-twenties where TWD currently is.
    I also think Rick and Morty will end up a top 10 game once the software is done and more people play it. The theme integration and fun factor is off the charts!

I think there are only truly two types of game play loops: mode based or "wood chopping." I think lyman did a great job making the collection of the items way more interesting by enabling you to get those via the shots as the game progresses, too. I feel Metallica is a slightly more sophisticated take on afm, which I also love.

Monster Bash is sorta wood chopping with modes. Not a good combo, in my opinion.

#6 3 years ago

I had to vote Metallica; there may be parts of the game that are less wood choppy than others but the Crank it Up Mode where you have to hit Spark 15 or so times is ridiculous, a billion or so snake shots to start that mode is ridiculous, 30 or so hits to the captive ball to start that MB is ridiculous... the whole game seems to strive to be the most wood choppy thing ever.

#7 3 years ago

twilight zone its okay.....

#8 3 years ago

Jp.Played it finally at my local player one.Played about 5 games or more.I think I got pretty far for the amount of games I played on it.It for sure does not belong in the top 10.I had absolutely no fun playing it and, I just wanted to play a different game already.How about we switch tz and jp around, and then switch jp and Indy around.Indy definitely deserves to be in the top 10

#9 3 years ago

It's Monster Bash and will always be Monster Bash.

#10 3 years ago

MB has been in the Top Ten for over 20 years because it's a fantastic theme, great dots, great sounds, funny dialogue, and just about anyone can walk up to it and have fun. That's why they commanded over 10k for years before the remakes rolled around.

I have probably looked at the top ten list 3 times in my life so no idea what's on there.

#11 3 years ago

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like AFM. I had one and got bored very quickly.

#12 3 years ago

The reason you see MM, MB and AFM in the top 10 is they have lots of toys that they current newer titles just don't have for the most part. The call outs are funny but i do wish they had more of an adult mode that could be coded for the remakes.

Beyond that they are just fun to play. I know MB gets a lot of hate but its not all as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

Worthy of top 10 maybe not but the whole top 100 is subjective to who owns what and how we have rated our games. There is a bias as an owner to actually rate them higher than they should be i am sure.

In the end its your own personal opinion anyway.

#13 3 years ago

Im actually shocked everyone likes TWD that much. Maybe Im missing something, I play it like once/week, can never get a mode started because those shots on the left are hard to get, and Im like ok Im going to bash that bicycle girl zombie in the face again, then my game ends.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like AFM. I had one and got bored very quickly.

I don't love it either, but I think we're the minority. Definitely not a bad pin.

I'd remove JP, DP definitely, and POTC from Top 10 and swap in Indy, Addams and Tron LE.

#15 3 years ago

TWD is such a weird pin, I can't say I ever enjoyed playing. At the same time I have never been able to stop playing it.

#16 3 years ago

I vote Monster Bash. That being said I would buy one in a heartbeat and it's on my want list so what do I know?

#17 3 years ago

It’s a toss up between MET and MB. I don’t think either of those belong in the Top 10. I also agree with others thoughts regarding TWD. I regret selling mine. It’s such a great pin and still underrated.

#18 3 years ago

When I’m in the mood to drain quickly and feel like it isn’t my fault and get frustrated, I love playing TWD.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

TWD is such a weird pin, I can't say I ever enjoyed playing. At the same time I have never been able to stop playing it.

Owned one. Can confirm. I call it hate playing.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I had to vote Metallica; there may be parts of the game that are less wood choppy than others but the Crank it Up Mode where you have to hit Spark 15 or so times is ridiculous, a billion or so snake shots to start that mode is ridiculous, 30 or so hits to the captive ball to start that MB is ridiculous... the whole game seems to strive to be the most wood choppy thing ever.

You're doing it wrong.

#21 3 years ago

MB, POTC, MM, TZ and LOTR wouldnt be in my top 50

#22 3 years ago

Great thread. I'm happy to read some of your guys' posts saying the same things I've been saying for a while now.

TWD (particularly prem/le) is a complete masterpiece! Perfect amount of difficulty. Deep code. It's a Bad Ass top 10 game!
    MB is overrated.
    MET is fun to play especially in the beginning, but then becomes a total wood chopping fest!

On another note, both MM and AFM are overrated too. Both are fun, basic games. Both have great flow. I definitely prefer much deeper mode based games. Even though the MM Royal looks amazing I would rather play Stranger Things prem/le which has almost the same exact Eddy layout with cool modes/missions.

#23 3 years ago

Monsterbash for sure!
    Its a good game but far too easy to make it a challenge.
    It is not uncommon to reach 3 times the end in a single game ( i am just an average player )

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You're doing it wrong.

Do tell...

#25 3 years ago

For me it's POTC by JJP, I really don't get the hype about this one

#26 3 years ago

Deadpool is a good game. A very good game. A very, very good game. I personally love it. No way is it Top 10 of all time though.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

For me it's POTC by JJP, I really don't get the hype about this one

I second that I finally got to play it a few sessions and can’t see how they’re up for sale at those insane prices .Id take WOZRR over that any day of the week .I voted for TZ though as the newer games are just so much better IMO.Lastly there’s something wrong that a company that just remakes classics has 3 games in top 5.Seriously that doesn’t make any sense except there’s more votes cast for those I’d imagine sold a bunch .

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Lastly there’s something wrong that a company that just remakes classics has 3 games in top 5.Seriously that doesn’t make any sense except there’s more votes cast for those I’d imagine sold a bunch .

You do know they were all Top 10 games before CGC remade them... and it's why they remade them, right?

#29 3 years ago

I think that games like MM and MB get over rated due to their one time scarcity. Maybe just in my area, but I never saw either of those games when they were current, and I'd hear people excitedly talk them up over the years. Now it seems like every time I walk into a place they have the full line up of MM, MB, AFM, Addams Family. I honestly don't like any of them all that much, and at this point prefer seeing some weirdo stuff I've never played.

Also LOTR is in the top ten? It's a good game but that surprises me.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Maybe just in my area, but I never saw either of those games when they were current, and I'd hear people excitedly talk them up over the years...

Must be your area, they were everywhere. Well, maybe it was just the area I was in

Quoted from Kkoss24:

Lastly there’s something wrong that a company that just remakes classics has 3 games in top 5.Seriously that doesn’t make any sense...

#31 3 years ago

jjp POTC. never really loved it. At the same time if the price is right Id buy it due to the rareness. I just dont have a ton of fun playing it. Id rather play Dialed In or Woz from JJP....

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

You do know they were all Top 10 games before CGC remade them... and it's why they remade them, right?

Yeah and they’re real fun games but there’s so many out there between the originals n remakes they seem to have double or triple the votes of any other .Anyway I really enjoy every game I’ve ever played they each have they’re own pros/cons thank God there’s a lot of company’s now making these .Great times ahead for all!!!! IM is my absolute fav nothing that close right now .

#33 3 years ago

Either one of the widebodies. Just not fun to shoot. Also JJPOTC is too complicated for non-owners to comprehend. Or at least it is for me. Even on the rare occasion I get something going, it's not satisfying, because shit just starts happening and it all stacks on top of everything. Bleh.

#34 3 years ago

Agreed it feels like I am missing the fun in met but I have not heard any argument as to why it is not a wood chopping exercise.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

When I’m in the mood to drain quickly and feel like it isn’t my fault and get frustrated, I love playing TWD.

Well maybe you should get in the mood of becoming a better player.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Agreed it feels like I am missing the fun in met but I have not heard any argument as to why it is not a wood chopping exercise.

Like every game after u have had ur time and gone through the modes, maybe beat the game or just plain had ur fun it becomes like "chopping wood". Now if this happens right away then the game either just sucks or u went in looking to chop wood, Met is great fun, for a while. What pin never gets old? Can't wait to hear this.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Either one of the widebodies. Just not fun to shoot. Also JJPOTC is too complicated for non-owners to comprehend. Or at least it is for me. Even on the rare occasion I get something going, it's not satisfying, because shit just starts happening and it all stacks on top of everything. Bleh.

I call this Pinball Overload! I got that with Hobbit and WOZ. Just my opinion...

#38 3 years ago

You don't tug on superman's cape
    You don't spit into the wind...

It's useless to discuss / argue anything in the top 10 now. It is a dead ratings system. WE have made the number useless through manipulation. As far as I'm concerned it should be abolished and start rating by Gold, Silver, Bronze. Every game gets a medal. Have 200 games in the Top 10. When you call up the list, you get a random order list of the Gold games. Then have Robin secretly change every game to a gold medal, and his is the only rating allowed. Done.

THAT would be a better system. Then we would all just read the ratings of a game we are interested in. All that matters is what is written anyway. The rating itself is useless.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

The rating itself is useless.

Agreed, I had no idea what was even in the top 10 until just now when I clicked on this thread out of boredom. Never been bored enough to view the list itself.

#40 3 years ago

I’m kind of surprised that Elvira’s House of Horrors is currently sitting at 11.
    I only got a couple chances to play this before Corona hit, so I’m not all that familiar with the game play.
    Is this game really that good?

#41 3 years ago

Monster Bash is a master piece... one of the most beautiful and fun games ever made. If you are looking for ridiculous code depth or a brutal challenge then yes, it’s not the pin for you. But if you’re looking for pinball as art, a fun welcoming pin, a beautifully simple rule set, great theme, toys, amazing flow, etc it’s hard to beat. It’s easily the most UNDER rated of the “big 3”. Also, set it at 7.2-7.8, turn off ball save, open the outlanes, set the difficulty to hard and it will be a challenge for 99% of players. Sorry but I just think MB is seems to be the default answer for this question these days and it’s just such... a lazy take IMO. One of the classiest games ever.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

U the only one who can decide that.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Agreed, I had no idea what was even in the top 10 until just now when I clicked on this thread out of boredom. Never been bored enough to view the list itself.

I came in (skeet) to vote TOTAN as usual but it's way out these days.

Quoted from Coindork:

It's really that new, and that's what matters

#44 3 years ago

Over the last 20 years collectors and tournament players have demanded deeper and deeper rule sets and I think JJP POTC is a real breaking point - a game so complicated that there's no way to enjoy it without a complete understanding of all the rules, nuances and strategies. It's completely impenetrable for beginners and casual players.

#45 3 years ago

Games with the broadest appeal (approachable, popular theme, etc.) will usually win the popularity contest. Some are so damn good though like IMDN and POTC that they overcome the popular odds.

#46 3 years ago

Monster Bash gets the default hate because it's the ultimate casuals game and we all know for a game to be lauded on pinside its got to have code as deep as the ocean

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Over the last 20 years collectors and tournament players have demanded deeper and deeper rule sets and I think JJP POTC is a real breaking point - a game so complicated that there's no way to enjoy it without a complete understanding of all the rules, nuances and strategies. It's completely impenetrable for beginners and casual players.

It's really not.

#48 3 years ago

I remember when I first really got into pinball. RGP was the goto and I fell into the whole "top 10" crap. I remember several games that a few of the "popular" people would bring up and it never failed. BOOOOOOM super price explosion and everyone was looking for these titles. I specifically remember Medieval Madness and Circus Voltaire being two that occured with. Beings as I didn't have the wallet size necessary for these (A) list games I started playing a bunch of others and found I had just as much fun if not more than on several of the (A) list games.
    Over the past decade I've learned top 10 means absolutely nothing except to stuck up buttholes with too much money on their hands lol.
    Pinball is about fun - not the actual titles for status.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I came in (skeet) to vote TOTAN as usual but it's way out these days.

Lower on the list, but always and forever #1 in my heart.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Also, set it at 7.2-7.8, turn off ball save, open the outlanes, set the difficulty to hard and it will be a challenge for 99% of players.

Lightning flippers are helpful as well...

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-overrated-game-in-the-current-top-10?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.