Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

New games are over priced. What it does is raise the price on everything else. Now I need to get this much from game X to pay for new game Y. WB games are hitting the marks for new Sterns as people want a straight lateral to the new Stern. This forces every pin up.

Stern is coming out with some great, deep games. It would be nice if they were lower priced but they offer a ton of fun for less than $5k. If the demand wasn't there than it would cause the prices for older pins to drop rather than rise. Obviously there is still growing demand to absorb all the new pins without causing the used market to really suffer. Actually seems like things are in pretty good balance right now as used prices are relatively stable (remakes and VE's aside).

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hear of MMs going for $8000 and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Well, then don't buy it. Problem solved. For the people buying it it seems to make sense.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Same with TAF and TZ. They don't go as high but it seems like that some of the two most produced machines of all time would be a little cheaper.

But they're not because more people want one than there are for sale, so? Believe me, they won't get cheaper by starting a thread about it.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I understand that the higher rated machines would be a little higher that normal and that rarer machines would be a little higher but it seems to me you can't go much higher than what a new machine costs.

Uhm, why not? One of them is readily available and unproven, the other is (probably) rare and popular. There's not to much things i can think of where "newer is better" is less valid than in pinball.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Another game for me that is overpriced is Theatre of Magic. Fun game but I would never entertain buying it for what it goes for.

Now we know that you think ToM is to expensive, others obviously see this differently. But what are we to do with this information?

Sorry for being bitchy, but WTF is the point of these threads?

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

To be bitchy.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Maybe if we say WH20 and Cirqus Voltaire are overpriced enough times the prices will come down. Or something.

#55 8 years ago

This is actually really simple to answer.
The only overpriced games are the ones that don't sell. If they sell, they weren't overpriced.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

This is actually really simple to answer.
The only overpriced games are the ones that don't sell. If they sell, they weren't overpriced.

Then again, if the only opportunity to own a particular game is an overpriced one and someone buys it, that only feeds the cycle.

I have noticed that AFM prices have been slowly dropping from $8k to $6k in the past year or so. At that rate, maybe I can finally get one in 3-4 years.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Apparently AC/DC Luci should be on this list..

Nah...I think the list does not need any more additions of pinball machine names from pinside members here or even their friends or neighbors or even relatives who talk to people on pinside because they are not pinside members themselves or they used to be but are not now at the present time this whole over valued list is being discussed here or discussed elsewhere on the internet or in pinball social circles!

My 2 cents anyway

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Warbound:

Nah...I think the list does not need any more additions of pinball machine names from pinside members here or even their friends or neighbors or even relatives who talk to people on pinside because they are not pinside members themselves or they used to be but are not now at the present time this whole over valued list is being discussed here or discussed elsewhere on the internet or in pinball social circles!

Wow, what a mind-boggling sentence!

Read it 3 times now and still can't make any sense of it.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have noticed that AFM prices have been slowly dropping from $8k to $6k in the past year or so.

Possibly due to the rumor of a PPS remake? And are your comparisons in the same condition, or was the $8K from a year ago AFM in very good shape versus an average condition $6K AFM now? AFM is still a great game. It didn't get any less desirable in the last year.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Possibly due to the rumor of a PPS remake? And are your comparisons in the same condition, or was the $8K from a year ago AFM in very good shape versus an average condition $6K AFM now? AFM is still a great game. It didn't get any less desirable in the last year.

Eh, more or less similar condition, but granted, I don't pay too close attention since the price is out in the stratosphere anyway.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then again, if the only opportunity to own a particular game is an overpriced one and someone buys it, that only feeds the cycle.

That's looking at it from the perspective of the individual vs the market as a whole. As a seller, it was not overpriced if he/she sold the game for their listed price. The perspective buyer can think of it as overpriced simply because they cannot afford or are unwilling to pay the asking price. However, the market consists of many individuals and not just the individuals wanting the game at a lower price. Further, its the individuals that are willing to pay the most that tend to set the market price, as in most cases the seller wants to maximize his/her cash return for the game. When it comes to manufactures selling new games, they can set the price to appeal to a mean of buyers, so they can maximize profits on volume, this will in turn adjust downward the secondary markets as we have seen recently.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's looking at it from the perspective of the individual vs the market as a whole. As a seller, it was not overpriced if he/she sold the game for their listed price. The perspective buyer can think of it as overpriced simply because they cannot afford or are unwilling to pay the asking price. However, the market consists of many individuals and not just the individuals wanting the game at a lower price. Further, its the individuals that are willing to pay the most that tend to set the market price, as in most cases the seller wants to maximize his/her cash return for the game. When it comes to manufactures selling new games, they can set the price to appeal to a mean of buyers, so they can maximize profits on volume, this will in turn adjust downward the secondary markets as we have seen recently.

Right--it starts with a couple outliers with money to burn, then the prices start creeping up because of them. It feeds the cycle.

#63 8 years ago

Did Limelime20 mean to link the game Inder Centaur as opposed to Bally Centaur?

I did pay market value for a Bally Centaur and was happy with the purchase because how often will one surface in great shape all around. How do you measure too much money? Depends on who you ask, I'm willing to pay asking price for Bally/Williams games but I don't understand why anyone would pay more then $2k for a Stern game even the ones made in 2015.

#64 8 years ago

The AFMs that come up lately on here have been pretty beat. I mean, they really get a workout on route so they tend to be in worse shape overall. Perhaps those are the $6K ones?

I think the worst pricing is for NIB these days.

#65 8 years ago

Supply/demand economics. That is why I do not believe Luci belongs on the list. Heck, nobodyeven knows for sure how many were made. This alone adds value since supply is not clearly defined. Demand increases usually under screcy of supply. Al the other pins have production quantities known, here you can at least conduct comparative analysis to speculateif the pin is priced too high. Of course there are many factors that increase price or value but quantities is certainly the most influencial. Luci numbers are only known internal to Stern.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The AFMs that come up lately on here have been pretty beat. I mean, they really get a workout on route so they tend to be in worse shape overall. Perhaps those are the $6K ones?
I think the worst pricing is for NIB these days.

Not 6k, but not 8k either. this looks to be in great shape.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21824

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

but WTF is the point of these threads?

Hopefully nobody got offended. This was just supposed to be fun discussion where we can voice our individual opinions. I seem to agree with a lot of what people are saying so thanks for the comments.

One thing I don't think is overpriced are new stern games. A lot of time and work goes into making a new pinball machine and it seems like 6k is a pretty good price compared with older games.

btw does anybody know what new williams/bally games cost in the 90s?

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Hopefully nobody got offended. This was just supposed to be fun discussion where we can voice our individual opinions. I seem to agree with a lot of what people are saying so thanks for the comments.
One thing I don't think is overpriced are new stern games. A lot of time and work goes into making a new pinball machine and it seems like 6k is a pretty good price compared with older games.
btw does anybody know what new williams/bally games cost in the 90s?

I believe like 3,500-4,000

#69 8 years ago

In my mind the "most overpriced games" are the vapor ones that were paid for but never made. JFlop. Sh*tB. Etc.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Don't worry, all good here.

Just throwing some shit at the fan to see what happens...

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

BK2K is a $700 game in the USA? People try and nab more then $2000 for them up here

No, BK2K is not a $700 game in the USA...though a few have found them on occasion. I've been looking for years for the under $1000 BK2K, even project condition acceptable. Same goes for EATPM and Whirlwind. Those are the golden three Williams sys 11's that tend to be around $2K or just north or south of - from what I have seen.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Firegarden:

The prices in Australia have gone stupid, I have seen JP priced at $8500, a 1978 Kiss for $15,000, and a very average FT for $6500... What the hell is going on ?!?!
I have been after a JP and IJ for my collection for quite sometime, I found a company who had both machines and they quoted me $19,000 including delivery. I almost fell of my chair! If i had known in the past that pinball machines would be so expensive I would have bought a shed full of them as my retirement investment.

I was after the same ones as you (plus a swde). I saw a restored IJ with every single piece of visible metal nickle plated for around $7k about 5 years ago in bayswater. I wasn't in the market at the time but damn it was nice. I was offered a shopped swde for $5k only 2 weeks ago but the cabinet was trashed. :\

The Aussie economy, low interest rates, idiot prime minster and high pinball prices. 1 our of 3 ain't great :\

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not 6k, but not 8k either. this looks to be in great shape.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21824

Looks pretty nice, but the cabinet is very badly faded.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

sometimes I wonder if the community's opinion as a whole is driving the price for MM, AFM and MB rather than demand.

But ultimately "the community's opinion" is expressed as demand -- if a bunch of people think a game is good and would like to own it, there's your demand!

In these threads people get tempted to talk about "real prices" or "market prices" as if that's some objective standard that's divorced from (and curiously always much lower than) what games are actually being successfully sold for at any given time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-overpriced-games/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.