You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bonanza bg - before and after 002.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 005.jpg
bonanza bg 007.jpg
bonanza bg 004.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

Nightmare? That's actually not so bad for a game that age. Most of them are so much worse if they haven't been saved by now.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Maybe I'm lucky then. Most games I buy for myself just need minor touch-ups. I don't normally buy games with trashed backglasses. If I were in business getting games in all the time, I can imagine some of the games they would get.

So you see them but you don't buy them. That doesn't make you lucky. It makes you choosy. People who buy games to restore them don't pick and choose based on condition. At least I don't. I'm more likely to buy the game that needs real love than I am to buy a nice clean game that only needs to be wiped and rubbered.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Most hobbyists like me buy games close to them - some are bad some are good. Buying basket-case games to restore certainly saves money but it adds time - your choice. That's what's great about this hobby - everyone is different. I do way more to a game than wiping it down and re-rubbering though.........at least 40 hrs. of work to each game. I don't go as far as tumbling every metal piece as some do - what do you do to restore a game and how many hours do you put in?

Yep, everyone has different motivations. I have always had a tendency to pass on the super nice games. Price is too high for me but I also feel more motivation to save that game the seller might end up parting out. 40 hours sounds about right to do a good strong electronic/electrical rehab and shop job. By the time you're done repinning all of the connectors, doing whatever ground mods or board rebuilds are necessary, and pulling apart all the playfield mechs the hours can really get up there. Then once you throw artwork touchup into there the clock may as well get tossed out the window.

#29 10 years ago

Ideally, if you have the ability to scan the whole glass, you should do that every time anyway. Why wouldn't you want the ability to archive the artwork even if you do the touchups by hand? Maybe there's someone else out there looking to inkjet print like Greatwich does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-involved-backglass-repair-ive-ever-done?tu=ChadTower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.