Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bonanza bg - before and after 002.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 005.jpg
bonanza bg 007.jpg
bonanza bg 004.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Long post......

A lady calls me up and says she got my name from her cousins boyfriend - you know the story....... So she proceeded to tell me when she was in her 20's and pregnant her parents bought a Bonanza and she rode in the back end of a Pinto station wagon next to the pinball machine when they brought it home. So, every year during the holidays the extended family would get together to play the Bonanza. It got moved to a rental house, stopped working, and to top it off there were water pipes that busted and froze one winter and flooded the basement. This game, needless to say, is very sentimental to the family. It's not a game I would personally buy but hey, if you like the game - that's fine too.

So, here's where I come in. She said she would pay me to restore it for her. I said that someone had repainted the cabinet to a non-original paint job and she said it didn't matter. I told her the backglass was lifting real bad due to the moisture/temperature changes in the basement. She said she would still pay me to do it. The playfield is nice. So, I took the job.

I contacted Bgresto and they got back to me and said no one else has requested a Bonanza resto plus the game is not that popular. I got no replies to my WTB ads for a Bonanza backglass. So, my only option was to tackle this nightmare.

I took the game home and I noticed flaking paint chips in my vehicle, where I set the head down, and the worst was when I removed the glass from the game.

I started by sealing with 3 coats (1 heavy to seal the flaking paint - 2 light) of Krylon Triple-thick Crystal Clear Glaze 0500 (Wal Mart has). Reverse your direction on each coating. Then I spent a lot of time touching up the paint by comparing colors, mixing them to match, etc. I have a 100+ bottle set of Delta Acrylic paints that I use to get the closest color I can. One nice thing about Acrylic's is they're not permanent. I'm hoping boilerman see's this and tells me the answer to my question. If not, I can e-mail him. I think he told me to add a layer of white paint over all of your touch-ups as a light blocker. So, that will be my next step if that's the right thing to do. Then I will finish the job by sealing my touch-ups with TT again. For small areas, I spray TT in a small cup and dab with a q-tip. For bigger areas I just spray out of the can.

Here's before and after pics of the backglass:

bonanza bg 004.jpgbonanza bg 004.jpg
bonanza bg 007.jpgbonanza bg 007.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 005.jpgbonanza bg - before and after 005.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 002.jpgbonanza bg - before and after 002.jpg

#2 10 years ago

what a PIA that is. least a lot of it is in non backlit areas. Backglasses are a nightmare to work on.

#3 10 years ago

Here's a link to some more good info. on backglass repair from Phoebe & Co. at the EXPO a few weeks ago:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2010/index4.html

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what a PIA that is. least a lot of it is in non backlit areas. Backglasses are a nightmare to work on.

It won't look that great with the game turned on and backlit but at least with the game turned off it won't be bad. I'll probably remove some bulbs behind the bad areas where the light is shining through......

#5 10 years ago

looks like most is in the silver area, which is blockout anyway. Only way to do the backlit ones is to spot airbrush, even then it doesn't look that great.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks like most is in the silver area, which is blockout anyway. Only way to do the backlit ones is to spot airbrush, even then it doesn't look that great.

Someday I'll try my hand at airbrushing - it sounds like the only way to go - spraying versus brushing.

#7 10 years ago

still won't be that great as paint has different light densities than screened ink does. but at least the touched up areas will be smooth

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

still won't be that great as paint has different light densities than screened ink does. but at least the touched up areas will be smooth

Does Harbor Freight have decent ones?

#9 10 years ago

don't know. I got mine from Airbrush city on ebay. Compressor and everything. You want one that is top feeding and can handle little thicker paint.

#10 10 years ago

Nightmare? That's actually not so bad for a game that age. Most of them are so much worse if they haven't been saved by now.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Nightmare? That's actually not so bad for a game that age. Most of them are so much worse if they haven't been saved by now.

Maybe I'm lucky then. Most games I buy for myself just need minor touch-ups. I don't normally buy games with trashed backglasses. If I were in business getting games in all the time, I can imagine some of the games they would get.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

don't know. I got mine from Airbrush city on ebay. Compressor and everything. You want one that is top feeding and can handle little thicker paint.

Thx Neo.....

#13 10 years ago

I've had a couple that bad through the years. I was never happy looking at the glass lit. I remove all of the bulbs except the necessary ones - player up, ball in play, game over. To me it looked better than the mess it does when lit.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Maybe I'm lucky then. Most games I buy for myself just need minor touch-ups. I don't normally buy games with trashed backglasses. If I were in business getting games in all the time, I can imagine some of the games they would get.

So you see them but you don't buy them. That doesn't make you lucky. It makes you choosy. People who buy games to restore them don't pick and choose based on condition. At least I don't. I'm more likely to buy the game that needs real love than I am to buy a nice clean game that only needs to be wiped and rubbered.

#15 10 years ago

Neo is right, airbrushing would be the best way to go for uniformity. Brushing acrylics can yield very mottled results because it's so difficult to put the paint down in a consistant thickness.

You could also try the Deco Art stained glass paint. It's not opaque so it doesn't suffer from the varying thickness of paint. Follow it up with a thick coat of frosted white to give it the opaque look and provide nice light filtering.

#16 10 years ago

Can't they be touched up in Photoshop and then have a translite made?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

So you see them but you don't buy them. That doesn't make you lucky. It makes you choosy. People who buy games to restore them don't pick and choose based on condition. At least I don't. I'm more likely to buy the game that needs real love than I am to buy a nice clean game that only needs to be wiped and rubbered.

Most hobbyists like me buy games close to them - some are bad some are good. Buying basket-case games to restore certainly saves money but it adds time - your choice. That's what's great about this hobby - everyone is different. I do way more to a game than wiping it down and re-rubbering though.........at least 40 hrs. of work to each game. I don't go as far as tumbling every metal piece as some do - what do you do to restore a game and how many hours do you put in?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Neo is right, airbrushing would be the best way to go for uniformity. Brushing acrylics can yield very mottled results because it's so difficult to put the paint down in a consistant thickness.
You could also try the Deco Art stained glass paint. It's not opaque so it doesn't suffer from the varying thickness of paint. Follow it up with a thick coat of frosted white to give it the opaque look and provide nice light filtering.

Thanks dothedoo for the suggestions......

#19 10 years ago

If you buy an airbrush stick with a single action for better coverage & lower price point. A dual action is much harder to master & twice the price. Get one you can find replacement parts for easily & cheap, as some of the parts can be pricey.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Someday I'll try my hand at airbrushing - it sounds like the only way to go - spraying versus brushing.

Hoov,
If you intend to buy an airbrush.......... spend the extra $$$ and buy a good one. If you buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight ( made in China), you will most likely spend all your time cleaning the poorly made components.
I just bought a Badger ( made in USA) which is a top of the line airbrush company for about $50. I bought mine at Amazon.com. , its the model 350. which came as a kit. You can see it at their website.
I bought mine to touchup my cabinet; I guess it would work on a Backglass too. If you buy paint, I would suggest you buy good paint that is pre-mixed and ready to use. Why...... the paint must be the right consistency to work in the airbrush, otherwise you will get poor results.
I will include two links to airbrushing. I hope they will help.

( 2 parts)

John

#21 10 years ago

Thanks Pinballocks & JKnPA.......

#22 10 years ago

I have also bought a Badger airbrush, mine from Michaels for just a couple more $. I bought it mainly for spraying on fresh clear glass to make some interesting back-lit wall art.

I haven't had a chance to be artistic with it yet, but I did some experiments on glass when I first got it with a scrap piece of glass using acrylic paints. I cleaned the glass very well then sprayed several layers of pure white to test its translucent properties. Each layer was only 1 or two passes, and was of a very fine spray, and allowed to semi-dry between re-spraying.
The back-lit result was extremely promising. The light showed a very even coat of paint similar to that around the score reels on our pins.

I've put my painting supplies away for a while as I have other more important projects to complete but I hope to be able to experiment with back-lit airbrushed art.

Please keep in mind that I am not particularly "artistic" with limited talent. If I can do basic airbrush then a lot of others can too!

My Space Mission had a couple of score reel fires in its lifetime, and the evidence remains of some smokey streaks across the white around a couple score reels. But I haven't got the guts to scrape the old paint off and redo it.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Most hobbyists like me buy games close to them - some are bad some are good. Buying basket-case games to restore certainly saves money but it adds time - your choice. That's what's great about this hobby - everyone is different. I do way more to a game than wiping it down and re-rubbering though.........at least 40 hrs. of work to each game. I don't go as far as tumbling every metal piece as some do - what do you do to restore a game and how many hours do you put in?

Yep, everyone has different motivations. I have always had a tendency to pass on the super nice games. Price is too high for me but I also feel more motivation to save that game the seller might end up parting out. 40 hours sounds about right to do a good strong electronic/electrical rehab and shop job. By the time you're done repinning all of the connectors, doing whatever ground mods or board rebuilds are necessary, and pulling apart all the playfield mechs the hours can really get up there. Then once you throw artwork touchup into there the clock may as well get tossed out the window.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I have also bought a Badger airbrush, mine from Michaels for just a couple more $. I bought it mainly for spraying on fresh clear glass to make some interesting back-lit wall art.
I haven't had a chance to be artistic with it yet, but I did some experiments on glass when I first got it with a scrap piece of glass using acrylic paints. I cleaned the glass very well then sprayed several layers of pure white to test its translucent properties. Each layer was only 1 or two passes, and was of a very fine spray, and allowed to semi-dry between re-spraying.
The back-lit result was extremely promising. The light showed a very even coat of paint similar to that around the score reels on our pins.
I've put my painting supplies away for a while as I have other more important projects to complete but I hope to be able to experiment with back-lit airbrushed art.
Please keep in mind that I am not particularly "artistic" with limited talent. If I can do basic airbrush then a lot of others can too!
My Space Mission had a couple of score reel fires in its lifetime, and the evidence remains of some smokey streaks across the white around a couple score reels. But I haven't got the guts to scrape the old paint off and redo it.

That's interesting Steve. Knowing you you'll have a great documentary or video showing how to restore backglasses with your airbrush techniques. I see it in your future.........8)

#25 10 years ago

Badger, Paasche, or Iwata make the best airbrushes. I would recommend the Paasche as they are very rugged. I still use my original single action. If you have any questions just ask. I've been an airbrush illustrator for 35 yrs.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Badger, Paasche, or Iwata make the best airbrushes. I would recommend the Paasche as they are very rugged. I still use my original single action. If you have any questions just ask. I've been an airbrush illustrator for 35 yrs.

I'd say you're experienced to say the least...........

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

I'm sure I will have a few paint questions for you later....... if I may ask.
From what I've seen on YouTube about paint mixing, that is a very important factor in getting good results !

#28 10 years ago

this is why I will never try touching up backglass again, you will never get it right (especially backlit). Better off touching up in photoshop, then deciding if you just want to print translite, or invest time into seperating layers to get them printed direct to glass.

#29 10 years ago

Ideally, if you have the ability to scan the whole glass, you should do that every time anyway. Why wouldn't you want the ability to archive the artwork even if you do the touchups by hand? Maybe there's someone else out there looking to inkjet print like Greatwich does.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

this is why I will never try touching up backglass again, you will never get it right (especially backlit). Better off touching up in photoshop, then deciding if you just want to print translite, or invest time into seperating layers to get them printed direct to glass.

It's the white in the score reel area that is so difficult to match - the credit dots etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-involved-backglass-repair-ive-ever-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.