(Topic ID: 46920)

Most Frustrating Skill Shot Evar?

By Phetishboy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

My vote, Congo. I love the game, but the way the ball heads directly across the play field for the skill shot really bugs me. When I shoot the ball on Flintstones it feels good. With Creature, I like the fact that you can give the shot more or less power for drastically different outcomes, especially with the overshoot/full loop option. On Johnny M, the skill shot seems smooth and deliberate, even if only a 3/4 loop is possible. On those games, the ball travels down the right side, to the back, then either makes it all the way around the loops or at least half way around. Even on TFTC, which has a direct skill shot without using the loops or the back of the play field, the shot is quick and satisfying. On TOTAN, the fact that you can hit one of 3 holes on the ramp is cool. On Congo, the skill shot just seems wrong. I always feel underwhelmed when initially shooting the ball (I think cuz the ball is being shot across the playfield), and I end up hardly ever getting the skill shot by hitting the targets. It's almost always on the quick drain/kickback. It's like my machine is incapable of allowing the ball to hit the targets, no matter how hard or soft I shoot the plunger. The rest of the game is awesome, but the skill shot on Congo sucks.

#3 11 years ago

X-Men!

#4 11 years ago

TZ is my favorite game of all time, but by making the skill shot you have a good chance of draining out of the left outlane before ever getting a chance to flip at the ball. Those pop bumpers are downright dangerous.

#5 11 years ago

Mr. and Ms. Pac Man. Don't think I've ever made it.

#6 11 years ago

Came here to post Big Guns....beat me to it.

CSI is pretty similar, too...

Pete

#7 11 years ago

Hardest skill shot of all time is on Kings of Steel, hands down.

I have only seen it acomplished twice on my machine. Awards a special if you can get it.

#8 11 years ago

RBION

Shoot for it, miss, hit target, drain, next ball.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

RBION

I think this is the epitome of a bad skill shot. The risk of a drain is so high that many players forgo the skill shot altogether.

Whirlwind, and possibly others, has a nearly identical and infuriating skill shot.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I think this is the epitome of a bad skill shot. The risk of a drain is so high that many players forgo the skill shot altogether.

You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as that's the point of a skill shot...you have to use skill for risk vs. reward. I could see it going either way.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

RBION

^^^^ - *Truth*

#13 11 years ago

Looking at the WOF it is not easy

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

My vote, Congo. I love the game, but the way the ball heads directly across the play field for the skill shot really bugs me. When I shoot the ball on Flintstones it feels good. With Creature, I like the fact that you can give the shot more or less power for drastically different outcomes, especially with the overshoot/full loop option. On Johnny M, the skill shot seems smooth and deliberate, even if only a 3/4 loop is possible. On those games, the ball travels down the right side, to the back, then either makes it all the way around the loops or at least half way around. Even on TFTC, which has a direct skill shot without using the loops or the back of the play field, the shot is quick and satisfying. On TOTAN, the fact that you can hit one of 3 holes on the ramp is cool. On Congo, the skill shot just seems wrong. I always feel underwhelmed when initially shooting the ball (I think cuz the ball is being shot across the playfield), and I end up hardly ever getting the skill shot by hitting the targets. It's almost always on the quick drain/kickback. It's like my machine is incapable of allowing the ball to hit the targets, no matter how hard or soft I shoot the plunger. The rest of the game is awesome, but the skill shot on Congo sucks.

Hey Phet, when I had that Congo, I had that super skill shot down. You don't want to hit the targets, you want to plunge it right down the left outlane, for the super skill shot. I take it you haven't seen the Skill Fire mode in Congo yet too then. An entire mode dedicated to nothing but doing the skill shot over and over for big points. If you hate the skill shot, you'll love that mode.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Hey Phet, when I had that Congo, I had that super skill shot down. You don't want to hit the targets, you want to plunge it right down the left outlane, for the super skill shot. I take it you haven't seen the Skill Fire mode in Congo yet too then. An entire mode dedicated to nothing but doing the skill shot over and over for big points. If you hate the skill shot, you'll love that mode.

No I haven't. But I did have my best game ever yesterday. I was doing shit I have never done before, hearing Amy call-outs I've never heard before and hitting jackpots left and right in MB mode, it was awesome. I really need to do the shaker mod on mine.

#16 11 years ago

IJ mode start

/thread

#17 11 years ago

Kings of Steel.

Near impossible to be done...but it can be done with the right plunge.
    Making the skill shot on Kings of Steel awards replays. That should give you a hint at how hard it is.

#18 11 years ago

PotC is very tough - especially the super skill shot....

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

IJ mode start
    /thread

Jesus it's your only game and you still can't hit it? Backhand....backhand....backhand.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlie:

PotC is very tough - especially the super skill shot....

Super duper is even worse...

#21 11 years ago

Dugeons and Dragons. Million shot sucks!!

#22 11 years ago

WoF IMHO.
    Congo, IIRC, allows a few shots at it due to ball save. Todd M and Bowen made great use if this against us in PinBrawl two years ago.
    --
    Chris Hibler

#23 11 years ago

IronMan is pretty tough <------------ ya right!

#24 11 years ago

Ha I encountered hat one last weekend...tough indeed.

#25 11 years ago

I love TAF skillshot but ending with the quote "Have a nice swim!" when you miss it and end in the swamp is funny...and infuriating.

#26 11 years ago

Fireball

#27 11 years ago

Great call. Very little margin for error there and 3K is a lot in that game...especially X3.

#28 11 years ago

W?D

Great but frustrating skill shot!

#29 11 years ago

XM pisses me off with the new code.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus it's your only game and you still can't hit it? Backhand....backhand....backhand.

I backhand the hell out of that thing. It's from the right flipper that's nearly impossible because of the DAMN BOUNCE OUT! @#$%^&!

#31 11 years ago

I've played only a few like that in my day...painful for sure. Luckily you can just post pass and backhand.

#32 11 years ago

And isn't this the original skill shot as well?

One that's truly hard and aggravating: Medusa
    hard to time it when the lights advance at an accelerating rate.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    1 month later
    #34 10 years ago

X's and O's is damn near impossible, especially as it's timed so you can't get away with multiple attempts.
    Played it for the first time at a friends last week and had so much fun starting a conversation with the next player up so that their time ran out before they had a chance

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Kings of Steel.
    Near impossible to be done...but it can be done with the right plunge.
    Making the skill shot on Kings of Steel awards replays. That should give you a hint at how hard it is.

Has to be something hard about the game, it's one of the most boring one scoring pony of all time.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

RBION

I came here to post this.

In my Pinburgh match this exact sequence happened on both ball 1 and 2. I own the game and know it pretty well, and ended up losing to 3 people who had no idea how to play it.

Definitely a high risk/reward shot because if you hit it on all three balls, that's 6 million, which is pretty substantial on RBION. It's a good design, but very frustrating to see the ball going down the right outlane before even having a chance to play.

#37 10 years ago

Avengers super skill shot.

IF you manage to get the ball all the way around despite the clunky shooter lane, its hard as hell to nail the black widow or iron man shot right away.

#38 10 years ago

Not that it is a hard shot to make but TOTAN is frustrating because the ball flies all over the place, horrible design in my opinion.

#39 10 years ago

Congo is super easy. The super skill show it pretty tough though!

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

RBION

Agreed.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

IJ mode start
    /thread

This is not what the OP was talking about.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

This is not what the OP was talking about.

Shhhh....If the thread didn't go off topic it wouldn't be a pinside thread!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

Avengers super skill shot.
    IF you manage to get the ball all the way around despite the clunky shooter lane, its hard as hell to nail the black widow or Iron Man shot right away.

huh? you can nail IM too? How valuable is that? I think SSS on AV for BW is a little bit of a cheat, because you can catch the ball on left flipper for a set shot. still hard, but not that hard.

#44 10 years ago

Family guy secret skill shot. not the easiest

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Family Guy secret skill shot. not the easiest

What is it? I'm not familiar

#46 10 years ago

Who Dunnit is really tough, although it may just be the machine that I play on...?? Haven't hit it yet.

#48 10 years ago

Baywatch...because it usually doesn't work.

The idea of being able to select your skill shot type is cool, but because it usually couldn't get the ball past the rollover lanes even if you did select the upper flipper or shark flipper was enough for me to sell the game after a very short stay.

I still stand behind any skill shot should be a 1 time attempt. If the ball rolls off of the shooter lane switch and then back to it....the chance for a skill shot on that ball is void.

#49 10 years ago

WOF is the hardest. On your Congo, for the secret skill shot. Plunge the ball into the left outlane (the kicker saves it) for 25 million. Tough shot, but satisfying when you nail it and there isn't a ton of risk if you miss (besides missing out on the points).

#50 10 years ago

Any skill shot on the Pinball Arcade version of any game.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-frustrating-skill-shot-evar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.