(Topic ID: 172456)

Most expensive pinball accessory?

By littlecammi

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Green Boss (resized).jpg
    Green 302 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

My lineup is pretty much set in stone now, so I keep up my interest in the hobby by upgrades and add-ons (like a 3-D translite for AFM and a ColorDMD for TZ added this year). But my most expensive accessory is the 2013 Mustang Boss 302 I just bought Saturday, to go along with my Stern Mustang Boss premium pin. I run a slide show of my cars (off a thumb drive) on a wall-mounted 23"TV next to the game and I'll be adding several pics of the gotta-have-it green Boss 302 to the slide show (hence the car is an accessory for the pin).
    Green Boss (resized).jpgGreen Boss (resized).jpgGreen 302 (resized).jpgGreen 302 (resized).jpg
    (Sorry about the generic photos, but I haven't photographed my own Boss 302 yet.)

#2 7 years ago

Factory produced Stern pinball toppers, if you want an actual answer to your question. One of the most expensive toppers ever made was a Twilight Zone topper pulled from the original IGT 3D slot machine banks in Las Vegas and fully converted into the actual PCBs of the game versus just sit on top and "do its thing".

I am not considering any replacement NOS assembly or playfields purchased as a spare or replacement during crazy "Ebay price wars" from the past up to the present. Prices can range into the 1000s.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Factory produced Stern pinball toppers, if you want an actual answer to your question. One of the most expensive toppers ever made was a Twilight Zone topper pulled from the original neon slot machine banks in Vegas.

how much do the tz toppers go for? Mine came with one, I never realized they were pricey

#4 7 years ago

the machine itself is my biggest cost. Cost more than even my car. But I did get a mini van to go with my bally/williams Cruis'n Caravan pinball machine. They go well together.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damon:

how much do the tz toppers go for? Mine came with one, I never realized they were pricey

When they were brand new from IGT, MRSP was around $1000 (not that anyone would pay that amount). Ops could drop the price by $450 in bulk or more. Some used more than just the center display but also the rotating motor assembly and mount that was an available option. Most signs that are owned for gamerooms or conversions don't have them just the standard bracket.

That original pricing was at least 5+? years back, I cannot remember the production year. Late 2000s I believe. Video shows 2011, but I think IGT started producing in 2009-10. Very popular, I would have to check if they are still making the actual 3D slot machine.

Used these days is much less when available, maybe $500, as long as they are in good shape and are able to do the various different lighting animations. I am sure one new if available would be much higher.

It is a very nice sign for any TZ fan.

It has been categorized as a "neon sign", even though it is actually not based on its construction and modern technology.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

always liked the Slot machine TZ topper. I remember when they came out. Someone had a couple of them but wanted $400 each for them. At the time, that was crazy money for a topper.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-expensive-pinball-accessory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.