You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
64599353_1_x (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

My vote - I don't have my '71 Doodle Bug anymore but the setup Williams used in that era had the most comfortable flipper buttons I ever pushed from the 50s to today's games. Extra deep & smooth palm rails, button is flat with rounded edge, no hard surrounding bezel, button is flush with the rail when pressed.

64599353_1_x (resized).jpg64599353_1_x (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

My vote goes to early 1970's Gottlieb buttons. Smooth buttery action, lightly dimpled in the center, and made of rounded stainless.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 4 years ago

Did Revenge from mars have weird flipper buttons??

#5 4 years ago

Putting cost considerations aside, i wonder what it would be like to have a touch-sensitive surface instead of a button, similar to a phone touch-screen.......

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Putting cost considerations aside, i wonder what it would be like to have a touch-sensitive surface instead of a button, similar to a phone touch-screen.......

horrible, imagine nudging and accidentally hitting the touch surface loosing control and possibly he ball

#7 4 years ago

Being the contrarian that I am
going to pick
Allied ShakerBall pins like Sea Hunt and Spooksville.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

horrible, imagine nudging and accidentally hitting the touch surface loosing control and possibly he ball

Yeah, and some people probably play with their fingers actually touching the buttons a lot when they aren't even flipping, to reduce reaction time.

#9 4 years ago

Hey Duncan: Will you have new "lost Harry Williams " pin ready for VFW in April or Expo in Chicago in Oct?

Hey Mark French : Good to see that you are still around, have not heard much from you since RGP days.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

touch-sensitive surface instead of a button

I hate buttons or switches like that, particularly on appliances,
I would rather have analog buttons, that give you some sort of (tactile) feedback
and that can not be accidentally activated by brushing up against the appliance. (i.e. dishwasher or washing machine)

#11 4 years ago

I hate the arcade type flipper buttons used in my 90s pins. I must be placing my fingertip on the edge to get good feedback, and it must be that pressing the button off-center makes the plastic sleeve wear and scrape inside, and then the button doesn't feel smooth. I change those yearly on the pins in my game room, mainly on the right side. Are their any better arcade buttons for my B/W pins??

#12 4 years ago

The weirdest I ever had were on a LAH, must have been route replacements.

They were convex. It was bizarre.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Are their any better arcade buttons for my B/W pins??

Problem is the aftermarket ones are rarely as good as the originals even of the same style and color. They tend to have a little casting hump right in the middle that the originals did not.

For me, I can handle just about any button, metal or plastic.

For metal, the early Williams with the switch mounted right at the button were the best.

For plastic, Ballys with seperate mounting guide from the 70s that carried over to the solid state era and the Williams from the mid 60s on.

#14 4 years ago

Maybe that would be a business to get into - manufacturing high-end "super buttons" that retrofit into different era games, that have been scientifically totally redesigned and tested to be the most comfortable to the most people, make them out of precision titanium with special low-friction bearings. Hey people buy some awfully nutty things to add to their machines these days so this doesn't sound so bad...

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Maybe that would be a business to get into - manufacturing high-end "super buttons" that retrofit into different era games, that have been scientifically totally redesigned and tested to be the most comfortable to the most people, make them out of precision titanium with special low-friction bearings. Hey people buy some awfully nutty things to add to their machines these days so this doesn't sound so bad...

With color-changing micro LEDs!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They were convex. It was bizarre.

I've been working on a Fireball '72 with buttons like that! So weird-feeling!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Hey, it's worked for people making clicky mechanical keyboards for gamers and coders:

https://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-4Q-Mechanical-Tactile/dp/B07HBHMP97

#18 4 years ago

...and put inserts of that gel stuff they use in shoe insoles on the face of the button so it distributes the pressure on your finger evenly.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

My vote - I don't have my '71 Doodle Bug anymore but the setup Williams used in that era had the most comfortable flipper buttons I ever pushed from the 50s to today's games. Extra deep & smooth palm rails, button is flat with rounded edge, no hard surrounding bezel, button is flush with the rail when pressed.[quoted image]

I agree. Prefer this style of plastic buttons, Gottlieb uses metal which is just another route for voltage to hit you if fish paper fails.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Gottlieb uses metal which is just another route for voltage to hit you if fish paper fails.

You should have felt the zap out of one of my 50 volt Williams woodrails that was missing the fishpaper on both buttons.

That'll wake you up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-ergonomic-flipper-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.