Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by emo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-7.jpg
    P7080293.JPG
    P7080285.JPG
    SAM_1906.JPG
    SAM_1908.JPG
    SAM_1900.JPG
    Pinball_026.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

What would make your list of most creative/unique playfield features from any pin?

I was watching a video of the Haunted House upside down sunken playfield and thought it was neat:

The electomagnetic playfield in TZ:

#2 12 years ago

That haunted house lower PF got me hooked on the game. HS2 turbocharger is still fascinating to me

#3 12 years ago

The MOST creative & unique feature of any pinball above any ramp, spinner, dmd and etc etc is good ART & THEME! No toy or gimmick can ever outshine that.

#4 12 years ago

the technology in Pinball 2000 is amazing and could count as most creative/unique on its own. but i'll go with pat lawlor's integration of the backbox in safecracker, banzai run and mini pinball in family guy. love em all.

#5 12 years ago

The turning ball Hold on IJ ( w ) , the Mist-ball feature on BSD , Power-ball on TZ , So many more

The magnet Stripper poll's on Playboy Stern , also the bi-fold Centerfold lay-out.. ,,, Oo La La !!

The Cannon on Black Rose is a Cool.. ARrr Mate'es !!! ,,,,( The smiley's are lack-n )

#6 12 years ago

I vote the claw save feature on FREDDY. I can't tell you how many times it saved my balls from draining. And it's just really goes with the theme. Well, of course.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperion:

The MOST creative & unique feature of any pinball above any ramp, spinner, dmd and etc etc is good ART & THEME! No toy or gimmick can ever outshine that.

I agree. The theme draws players into the game.

#8 12 years ago

It Sure does,, Sorry Freddy , I forgot that you ..

Pinball_026.JPGPinball_026.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Johnny Mnemonics glove feature is pretty cool too, along with the mini playfield and diverters on The shadow. Two vastly under rated games that collectors seem to be snatching up lately. The ball lock "swoop" on the Shadow is pretty sweet too.

#10 12 years ago

NGG Slam Ramp/Hole in one Shot. Just plain fun.

Big Guns Catapult. Still can't believe how good they work.

CP Jump Rope. Am I the only one addicted to that?

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

HS2 turbocharger is still fascinating to me

Now that I've finally gotten to play it, I must say the HS2 supercharger is pretty dang cool. Honorable mention: DW's mini pf.

#12 12 years ago

I love the piccard manouvere on STTNG

#13 12 years ago

All the above plus the head on BOP, Trunk on TOM, spinning discs on Tron and CSI (used better than WW and Fireball etc. in my opinion), Ironmonger, ball walker on Flight 2000, wand on Pinball Magic.

#14 12 years ago

Thing grabs the ball in AF
    always a nice reaction for the new player

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeye11:

NGG Slam Ramp/Hole in one Shot. Just plain fun.

I love this shot....Is there a harder shot in all of Pinball???

#16 12 years ago

I absolutely love the blinders on Tommy. Not only is it an incredibly cool toy, but it also perfectly blends with the theme.

#17 12 years ago

The lock shot on TZ can be a doosy, especially when you are panicking/or pissed

#18 12 years ago

TOTAN. The whole thing.

Seriously, the ramp/diverter and fireball magnet, the disappearing ball magnet under the genie, the skill shot, 3 different lock shots, and of course the shooting star spike cage ball savers on the outlanes are f@%ing unbelievable especially the first time.

#19 12 years ago

I am going to have to say Williams Varkon.
    A rare upright pinball cabinet, with a mirrored-reversed playfield.
    Joysticks are used instead of flippers.
    It also has a lower playfield accessible from a difficult ramp.
    Played it at CA Extreme 2011. It was awesome!
    http://www.ipdb.org/images/2721/image-23.jpg

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from n2kenai:

I am going to have to say Williams Varkon.

Woah, that is really unique!

#21 12 years ago

...Its got to be this table for sure..

SAM_1900.JPGSAM_1900.JPG SAM_1908.JPGSAM_1908.JPG SAM_1906.JPGSAM_1906.JPG

#22 12 years ago

For creativity, it's hard to beat Rudy, as it was the first sizable ball interactive feature on any pinball game. Added to this he has a certain perfection having dual ball interaction on the jaw (throat) as well as speaking as well as eyes and eyelids.

I'll give a nud to The Ringmaster. Having hide/appear, ball grab and spring neck execised by the usage of the magnets, ball hit as well as go under.

Like the Slam Ramp for the unique airball feature and the stress factor for making the shot in time.

#23 12 years ago

SafeCracker?

P7080285.JPGP7080285.JPG P7080293.JPGP7080293.JPG

#24 12 years ago

To me, the best and most creative and unique playfield toy ever is the magic wand on PM !! Excellent use of an electro magnet needing timing to release the ball into the critic's mouth... The 'magna flips' on TZ are also great of course... why neither of these have been used on other pins is a mystery to me! Love the tilting mini p/f on IJ too!!

#25 12 years ago

S**t, I forgot the even more amazing and totally inovative and unique feature on any pinball in the whole world ever!! It has to be the entire playfield and spinning discs on Orbitor 1!!

#26 12 years ago

Creature Holo

#27 12 years ago

The Shadow ball lock is the best....

What about the uniqueness of that flipper that flips itself..... is it the one in AF???

#28 12 years ago

The race track loop around the playfield in Nascar was pretty impressive to me when I first saw it.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

TOTAN. The whole thing.

Seriously, the ramp/diverter and fireball magnet, the disappearing ball magnet under the genie, the skill shot, 3 different lock shots, and of course the shooting star spike cage ball savers on the outlanes are f@%ing unbelievable especially the first time.

I agree! But you forgot the spinning lamp...

#30 12 years ago

The most creative I think is the Jump rope on CP.

#31 12 years ago

Time Expander in Doctor Who. Mechanically it's not the most fascinating (basically an elevator), but how it's used and how well it continues to work is a testament to its quality.

#32 12 years ago

Are we forgetting our history here?
    How about the flipper?
    Without it, Pinball would have been dead long ago.
    Thanks Mr. Mabs and Mr. Kordek!
    A toast!

image-7.jpgimage-7.jpg

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from bugray:

What about the uniqueness of that flipper that flips itself..... is it the one in AF???

Forgot about that one. A truly great idea that was well executed. This same concept was used again on MB, but I have always found the implementation on TAF to be cooler for some reason. There is just something really satisfying about watching it automatically flip the ball straight into the swamp.

#34 12 years ago

I have to say the Power Ball in TZ and the upper playfield in Banzai Run. Both will shut any pinball wizard up who has only played straight silver balls all his life.

#35 12 years ago

The T-rex that eats the ball in JP. Such an awesome feature for a DE machine.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

(TOTAN) Seriously, the ramp/diverter and fireball magnet, the disappearing ball magnet under the genie, the skill shot, 3 different lock shots, and of course the shooting star spike cage ball savers on the outlanes are f@%ing unbelievable especially the first time.

+1 on that..

#37 12 years ago

The first time I saw the hand in TAF!

Spirit ring in TOM.

#38 12 years ago

My God, there are so many:
    NGG - Slam Ramp & Hole in one shot
    MM - Castle
    CV - Ringmaster
    TOTAN - Everything
    TOM - Trunk/Tiger Saw
    TZ - Everything
    CP - Jump Rope, Speed Bag, Boxer
    Shrek/FG - Mini Playifled
    TAF - Thing Hand
    Rudy/Red & Ted
    Essentially, this is just agreeing with everyone else, but there you go

#39 12 years ago

I know there are better ones but the one I remember playing when I was younger was LAH with the swinging crane + shaker motor, another one I remember was the helicopter on R911.

#40 12 years ago

I think the magnasave is an underappreciated feature. Black Knight started it with the outlane magnasaves, Black Knight 2000 brought it back, then it started getting other uses, like holding the ball for the upper flipper shot in Rollergames, holding the ball in the loop on Twilight Zone, and a SDTM save on World Cup Soccer.

#41 12 years ago

That Banzai Run looks FUN

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from Johnny:

That Banzai Run looks FUN

Yeah, would like to come across one of those.

The one that REALLY caught my eye is CP. Cool looking pin.

#43 12 years ago

totan with the genie's magnet and MM with the castle destruction effect.

#44 12 years ago

Hard to pick one. I was going to mention the magnet but somebody got to it. The slam ramp is fun as well. Another fun one would be the ferris wqheel in Cyclone

#45 12 years ago

Couple interesting articles from Popular Mechanics:

Top 8 Most Innovative Pinball Machines of All Time
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/toys/4276614

Top 6 Weirdest Pinball-Machine Designs
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/toys/4342589

Throw in this one for the hell of it (not really related):

Top 17 Science-Fiction-Themed Pinball Machines
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/toys/4342588

#46 12 years ago

Hands down for me is Mist multiball. Nothing ever amazed me like the first time I saw that ball moving across the playfield like it was posessed!

Honorable mention to Rudy.

Shawn

#47 12 years ago

To me, Pinbot's visor was sooooo cool when it came out it sucked me into pinball. Couldn't get enough of that game. I played other games around town but that one was my favorite. I would wait in line to play it while shunning the others. No other gimmick has snagged me like that one.

#48 12 years ago

Taking the pictures of players who achived high scores and then displaying them on the LCD is a nice feature on Canasta

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-creative-or-unique-pinball-features and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.