(Topic ID: 334241)

Most Challenging Modern Games (Short Ball Times)

By robx46

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by OGpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Wanted some thoughts here as so many times I pick up a fun game but it doesn't last as long games turn me off. Also I'm not a big fan of many multiballs or getting them too easily. I'm not alone. I had friends play a gnr I had & kept asking me why they had nonstop multiball. They were unable to enjoy the game because they were just overwhelmed with multiball. It was a great novelty in 1981 but multiball overkill has ruined otherwise great games for me.

The other thing that ruins a game is that these long ball times make it less fun to play with others. Nobody wants to wait that long for their turn.
    Even playing by myself as an adult I might only have 5 or 10 minutes. I get punished if I'm having a great game as I have to turn it off. I have things to do!

Yet I do love the technology of modern games & I do like depth & variation but love the brutality of many of the 80s games.
    90s bally & Williams have some good ones though through the years I've owned many & played a bunch virtually so they don't excite me as much as they used to.

So what games fit the bill?
    Well my xmen le is one of my all time favorites. A perfect balance of what I'm looking for. In the past some other good ones have been Avatar, Ghostbusters, Shadow & TWD to name a few. I'm considering a TMNT. That might fit the bill. What others don't like about it, I might. Maybe Iron Man. BS Dracula perhaps though it's a bit shallow & limited. I've heat TNA perhaps? Others?

#2 1 year ago

TMNT fits the bill for sure, other than its not very fun, horrible looking, & has no rewarding shots.

Kind of felt like a moden Stern Mystic

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

TMNT fits the bill for sure, other than its not very fun, horrible looking, & has no rewarding shots.
    Kind of felt like a moden Stern Mystic

Never heard of Stern Mystic? You mean Bally Mystic? If so that is one of my all time fav early ss games lol. Maybe TMNT is right up my alley!

#4 1 year ago

Fast games with quick progression are my favorite games:

1. TMNT for sure. Great art (if you like the theme), very fun, rewarding shots, with lots of moments. + it has co-op mode and a mode that makes the game even harder and faster than factory

2. Stern Star Wars. Preferably the pro cause it’s faster, but I prefer the premium cause it feels better, is harder, with more satisfying shots. You may need to dial back the ball saver times on multiballs, especially victory multiball.

3. Rick & Morty. Fast brutal and fun. Drawback is dialing the shots.

4. Final Resistance (appears) to fit this bill of fast fun and brutal

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Never heard of Stern Mystic? You mean Bally Mystic?

Yep I saw it in your collection which is why I brought it up...it's like a 'modern stern that's brutal like Mystic' kinda thing

#6 1 year ago

Do you have any more info on what you like? I enjoy fast brutal games as well and you have an Avengers Premium like I do but there is more than one type of fast and brutal game. Do you like one with lots of flow like your Avengers or do you like more mechs and moving parts. I think Star Wars Premium fits for the first scenario and something more like JP Premium would fit for the second.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

Do you have any more info on what you like? I enjoy fast brutal games as well and you have an Avengers Premium like I do but there is more than one type of fast and brutal game. Do you like one with lots of flow like your Avengers or do you like more mechs and moving parts. I think Star Wars Premium fits for the first scenario and something more like JP Premium would fit for the second.

I'm thinking of trading my aiq for something with shorter ball times. I assume JP was similar? Yeah SW is a little brutal

#9 1 year ago

My nemesis was always Fish Tales .. the King of Straight Down The Middle

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Wanted some thoughts here as so many times I pick up a fun game but it doesn't last as long games turn me off. Also I'm not a big fan of many multiballs or getting them too easily. I'm not alone. I had friends play a gnr I had & kept asking me why they had nonstop multiball. They were unable to enjoy the game because they were just overwhelmed with multiball

Primus I enjoy for what you described. Even though the style of game isn't modern. It's quick and fun with no multiball.

Quoted from robx46:

BS Dracula perhaps though it's a bit shallow & limited

BSD has plenty to offer. You will definitely have short ball times and don't worry about generous multiball the game makes you earn it.

#11 1 year ago

Metallica can be brutal

#12 1 year ago

Came here to post this, this is the definition of what OP is asking for. The entire center of the playfield is three dangerous shots that can rebound SDTM. There's only one main multiball and one mini-wizard multiball, and no other lengthy ball saver modes (like Soul Gem or Monster Zero.)

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

. There's only one main multiball and one mini-wizard multiball....

Its only real downfall is the dumb retro MB.
    No connection to anything and just seems tacked on.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Final Resistance (appears) to fit this bill of fast fun and brutal

I played this one at TPF, and it was fun, but seemed to play a bit long. There were a few easy shots that consistently and safely fed back to the flipper.

For fast, brutal and fun, I’d go Iron Man or TNA.

#15 1 year ago

The Beatles

#16 1 year ago

The walking dead would be my vote

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

My nemesis was always Fish Tales .. the King of Straight Down The Middle

This. I know it's not a modern game as per topic but darn, FT is brutal. Balls draining constantly both stdm and outlanes makes the playtime really short

#18 1 year ago

A properly set-up PB Alien verges on brutal. Returns from main scoop and Xenomorph can be tough to control, and with sensitive slings the huge outlanes are very hungry.

#19 1 year ago

How is IM not on this list yet?

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

How is IM not on this list yet?

Is Ironman still considered a modern pin? It came out in 2010. Well, I guess if vaults are still available NIB then perhaps it’s modern?

#21 1 year ago

R&M.

Even top tournament players get shafted on this game

Also it has a one ball game setting for bets and beers.

No time to even fill your drink back up on that setting!

#22 1 year ago

AC-DC

#23 1 year ago

Top 3 for me
    TWD pro-Amazing game that will kick your butt, not a huge difference in ball times vs premium, but no walker bombs and no well walker magnet can impact play time
    TNA- Awesome all around. Snappy flippers with targets and drops very close to the flipper, scoop shoots back at you super fast
    BKSoR- posts, targets, flail all very close makes for chaos when shots aren't quite on target. Game forces you to hit the center dangerous stuff too. Pro plays shorter as the premium upper playfield can really extend ball times.

#24 1 year ago

For modern games: The Beatles, TMNT, and TWD (premium harder than the pro IMO even with walker bombs). Haven't played them yet but Final Resistance, Bond 60th, Pulp Fiction, and Galactic Tank Force all look tough.

#25 1 year ago

Agree with BKSOR, though I can have some long games on that if I’m hitting my shots. Star Wars has always been brutal to me. Iron Man is a great example. Ball times are quite short.

I find JJP’s games (except Meunier’s designs) to have hungry outlanes.

Dr Who, BSD, STTNG—all can be punishing.

#26 1 year ago

Star Wars is tough but not in a fun way IMO

#27 1 year ago

bond 60 is brutal in the most fun possible way

when the game decides your ball is over, it's over, and you can see it coming from 2 or three bounces away a lot of the time

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Agree with BKSOR, though I can have some long games on that if I’m hitting my shots. Star Wars has always been brutal to me. Iron Man is a great example. Ball times are quite short.
    I find JJP’s games (except Meunier’s designs) to have hungry outlanes.
    Dr Who, BSD, STTNG—all can be punishing.

Doctor who is a great mix of brutal and fun (in fact, the fun factor makes it hard for me to honk of it as “brutal”). If you’re on your game you can hit the loop all day, and it always feels good. But one misstep and the out lanes will eat you alive.

#29 1 year ago

I'd have to say TWD (either one) as well. I really want to like this game and I think I would at home on free play, but in the arcades it eats up quarters faster than a downtown parking meter.

#30 1 year ago
    #31 1 year ago

ACDC PRO, Drano !!

#32 1 year ago

Just get TNA

Easy to understand
    Fast ball times
    Lock stealing
    Coop mode available
    Bitchin’ music

#33 1 year ago

Metallica fills this niche in my small three game lineup (with GZ as my long player, Iron Maiden in a medium slot). The Crank It Up modes are all single ball, and the Multiballs can be brutal and quick even with the add-a-ball system for each.

JP is on the harder/shorter ball time side I believe, but your mileage may vary. Plus you have the challenge mode option instead of starting a regular game too. I guess you've got something similar with AIQ too if I'm not mistaken. Similar alternate game mode supposedly coming soon to GZ by the way, which will be a great addition imo.

TNA seems a little too one note to me.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

bond 60 is brutal in the most fun possible way

To the wallet, you mean.

Twd will always be my answer for this. Amazing game.

1 month later
    #35 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Metallica fills this niche in my small three game lineup (with GZ as my long player, Iron Maiden in a medium slot). The Crank It Up modes are all single ball, and the Multiballs can be brutal and quick even with the add-a-ball system for each.
    JP is on the harder/shorter ball time side I believe, but your mileage may vary. Plus you have the challenge mode option instead of starting a regular game too. I guess you've got something similar with AIQ too if I'm not mistaken. Similar alternate game mode supposedly coming soon to GZ by the way, which will be a great addition imo.
    TNA seems a little too one note to me.

Metallica can be brutal. Agreed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-challenging-modern-games-short-ball-times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.