5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a very nice and super fast LOTR a couple of month's ago. I have gotten to and completed Destroy the Ring a number of times but I find the real challenge (for my mediocre skills) of late is to complete all six modes to get There and Back Again. This is very frustrating, but of course keeps me coming back for more.

This has me thinking about games that have some very challenging achievements at the Non Wizard or Finale level. I don't have a lot of time on a broad range of machines, but have a lot of time on those that I have owned as well as some others. So looking to see what others think, whether they like the challenge and its what makes the game great or consider it something of a deterrent from wanting to own/play the machine on a regular basis.

I haven't seen a post on this topic so here's some starter thoughts;

1) LOTR: There and Back Again. Haven't gotten there yet..so darn close, so it will happen. 6 Modes (some very challenging unto themselves) that last a long time that also get "interrupted" by Multiballs when a Mode isn't already running, having to Complete Destroy the Ring and also Collect Elf Rings to Enable Mode Start. I seem to drain within the last few seconds of many of the timed modes. I guess I could try to time some out...but that would be lame. Very challenging and right now frustrating, but it makes the game great. Of course there are many more challenges in LOTR; on completing just about any mode or multi ball, you really fell like you earned a "Gift from the Elves"

2) Batman Forever; The game can have longer ball times, but has some tough modes like Brain Drain: have to get the C in Cave quickly on a tight shot from the right flipper (or lucky bounce), lot of Drops Resetting when you get it out of sequence. When you get it, then you have an Extra Ball on a short timer (I think) to the mini ramp. I never tired of going for this.
3) Batman Forever; Multi-ball Super Jackpot. I might have only gotten this a couple of times. Shooting the Left and Right ramps seems easy, but then you need to get the Center Ramp with the Upper Right Flipper to enable the Super Jackpot on the Mini Ramp. Getting that middle ramp shot set up while cradling or controlling other balls is tough. Almost seems like I could never get to it and just tried to keep balls in play during the long term; Even though I had gotten to Forever Mode a number of times..this seems like the real challenge.
4) Creature: Super Jackpot. Maybe you can call this one a Wizard Mode..but I guess I would say the Super Scoring is the Wizard on Creech. Shouldn't be so hard but CFTBL is a drain monster. You are either on or not with the Snack Bar shot.

Thanks for your thoughts....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
7,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-challenging-and-frustrating-non-wizard-achievements and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.