Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rodcom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is Steve Ritchie's most brutal playing game to date?”

• Firepower 24 votes
      9%
    • Black Knight (original) 9 votes
      4%
    • High Speed 3 votes
      1%
    • Terminator 2 0 votes
    • The Getaway 2 votes
      1%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 36 votes
      14%
    • No Fear 7 votes
      3%
    • Terminator 3 0 votes
    • World Poker Tour 7 votes
      3%
    • Spider-Man 0 votes
    • AC/DC 39 votes
      15%
    • Star Trek 2 votes
      1%
    • Game of Thrones 6 votes
      2%
    • Star Wars 61 votes
      24%
    • Other? 3 votes
      1%
    • F-14 Tomcat 55 votes
      22%

(254 votes)

#1 5 years ago

In anticipation of Steve Ritchie's forthcoming Black Knight: Sword of Rage, which may outdo them all, what do you think is his most brutal playing game to date? What about it qualifies it as such for you?

If voting "Other", feel free to post your choice and reason(s).

Although GoT and SW typically show me no mercy, I'm going to vote AC/DC for its consistently FAST ball times for me.

#2 5 years ago

AcDc Oi!

#3 5 years ago

How is F-14 Tomcat not on the list?
    Brutal game!!

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

How is F-14 Tomcat not on the list?
    Brutal game!!

Doh! It was, but I accidentally left it out when I had to redo the poll. NOW re-added so vote away!

#5 5 years ago

I played my friends SW premium last night and it kicked my butt. For the record, it’s an amazing game but you need to be on your shit to put up a good score.

#6 5 years ago

AC/DC is brutal
    I wish they’d code a mini wizard mode upon completion of 6 tracks
    Then maybe I’d like the game more, keeping it mainly as I love the band

#7 5 years ago

F14 is brutal to me. Always kicks my @ss

#8 5 years ago

My vote goes to Firepower. The standups are all sucker shots that blast the ball right back at you, yet hitting them is a necessity.

Honorable mention goes to F14. That Yagov kicker is an ass kicker, but the ball save lessens the drain pain.

#9 5 years ago

Sorcerer.

Wait, that was the other Ritchie. Just the same, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. That game kicks my ass regularly.

#10 5 years ago

Fire power the game usually kicks my ass.

#11 5 years ago

Have not played firepower enough to know - but IMO it’s Star Wars. Can’t even get 3 minutes on that thing

#12 5 years ago

F14 brutal and my favorite SR game, it was also my first game so it holds a special place.

#13 5 years ago

Voted Star Wars, not because of ball times.

But I like Rollergames quite a bit, so what do I know?

#14 5 years ago

It has been quite a while since I last played an F-14 Tomcat, but I want to check it out again now given all the votes it has received.

#15 5 years ago

High Speed is a nightmare to play if you aren't hitting your shots. Brutal in every way.

#16 5 years ago

STTNG. One word: outlanes.

GoT can be brutal if you accidentally hit the stand up targets directly since everything is so close to the flippers.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlie:

GoT can be brutal if you accidentally hit the stand up targets directly since everything is so close to the flippers.

Second word: Delta ramp, if the ball doesn't make it up the ramp, goes straight down the right outlane.

Third word: Beta ramp, don't make it up the ramp, SDTM.

#18 5 years ago

For some reason the layout in Star Wars always results in the stand ups quickly sending balls to the trough.. unfortunately they are needed if you want to get to wizard mode.. mean..

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlie:

This is the main reason I sold mine. I even had the extended outlane plastics and it didn't seem to help.

#20 5 years ago

I've played them all and #1 & #2 are Star Wars and STTNG. I think Star Wars is slightly worse due to the multplier bank rebounds draining. The STTNG outlanes are brutal AF though. I also own AC/DC Premium. As brutal as AC/DC is, I don't think it's as bad as SW and STTNG.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've played them all and #1 & #2 are Star Wars and STTNG. I think Star Wars is slightly worse due to the multplier bank rebounds draining. The STTNG outlanes are brutal AF though. I also own AC/DC Premium. As brutal as AC/DC is, I don't think it's as bad as SW and STTNG.

Pinbits sells sttng outlane extenders that greatly improve the fun factor in STTNG.. what are you going to do about SW?

Sell it, that’s what..

#22 5 years ago

another vote for ST TNG

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

Pinbits sells sttng outlane extenders that greatly improve the fun factor in STTNG.. what are you going to do about SW?
    Sell it, that’s what..

I love SW - brutality and all! It has been a real dark horse for me as I kind of stumbled into owning one, but I love the shots, flow, and even the multiplier options now that I understand the rules.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I love SW - brutality and all! It has been a real dark horse for me as I kind of stumbled into owning one, but I love the shots, flow, and even the multiplier options now that I understand the rules.

I love the rules, but lots of power drains off the stand ups..

#25 5 years ago

They are all masterpieces because Steve Ritchie is a genius.
    ACDC takes my vote. Being able to pull a game like ACDC after 30 years of hits is astounding.

#26 5 years ago

Star Wars is freaking tough. All those timed ramps, all those side missions.. man gives me sweats and high blood pressure.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Star Wars is freaking tough. All those timed ramps, all those side missions.. man gives me sweats and high blood pressure.

It’s kind of like playing attack from mars and track and field at the same time..

#28 5 years ago

STTNG- those outlanes were brutal and eventually wore me down.
    (Now in saying that, when I owned the game, I had it on factory post settings with no outlane extenders).

#29 5 years ago

Anyone that didn't vote for F14 just hasn't played it. BRUTAL...and awesome!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Anyone that didn't vote for F14 just hasn't played it.

I was able to get a feel for that one. Learn where & what to shoot and the ball seldom goes near the outlanes. Controlled chaos. When I owned one I rolled it several times (with factory extra ball settings).

#31 5 years ago

F14 by a mile. Not even close. The most unforgiving game ever. "Now you d...d...di....die!!!!"

#32 5 years ago

Agreed. Not even close. f-14 is the fastest game ever made. Brutal indeed, almost cruel even. If you have not played one you need to. Lightning fast!

but when you get it all wound up and playing your palms start to sweat and your heart races...oh yea thats the Steve Richie goodness right there. ..great game.

#33 5 years ago

Star Wars, definitely.

F/14? Just a drain monster. It's fast because there is nothing there. I don't think that is what is meant by brutal here. It was early in his career and he was learning. Weak rules and shots and easy drains.
    AC/DC? Super fun game that many would argue is one of the best Sterns ever. But I don't think there is anything particularly brutal about it. It's just fun.
    STTNG? Another super fun game, top rated. But brutal? No, it's just fun and a great game overall.

But Star Wars in particular? It has the easier shots to the really hard shot (Death Star.) That is a brutal shot and you're frequently in a position when you need to make it! It has a deep rule set with risk reward all over. It lacks a bit on toys compared to some of the above games but it makes up for it in the brutal department. Big bonus points on theme, video clips, and call outs.

#34 5 years ago

Suprised to see Star Wars mentioned so often. The one locally plays long and I avoid choosing it for league because of that. Well and because I don’t think it’s all that fun

#35 5 years ago

I went F-14 over STTNG because I am usually pretty good at keeping the ball out of the Hoover & Kirby outlanes. F-14 ass rapes me to this day. I can get a good score, but genrally, in tornament, this is a bad title for me... it can go either way, but 2 house balls are not uncommon for me.

#36 5 years ago

In original unmolested form I'd say STTNG easily. The outlanes are so bad they almost HAVE to be addressed. Even the King himself admitted it.

#37 5 years ago

F14 is so brutal, it's not fun anymore…!

#38 5 years ago

STTNG is a walk in the park compared to AC/DC and Star Wars. The speed of those two games is lightning quick and trying to react to avoid drains is difficult. In terms of difficulty I would say AC/DC followed by Star Wars followed by Spiderman.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

AC/DC? Super fun game that many would argue is one of the best Sterns ever. But I don't think there is anything particularly brutal about it. It's just fun.

I’m curious by your reply if you have ever played Acdc. If you need to hit the TNT targets (yes) you are risk of instant death, Thunder stand up targets? Again risk instant death. Side drop targets with cannon? You get the point.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m curious by your reply if you have ever played Acdc. If you need to hit the TNT targets (yes) you are risk of instant death, Thunder stand up targets? Again risk instant death. Side drop targets with cannon? You get the point.

compound this with the cannon blocking your view of the right outlane, really handicapping your ability to attempt saves..

#41 5 years ago

F14 brutal? Mwhuhahahah No Way (In black knight voice)

SWars all the way and not even close. Some machines I play each orbit shot delivers the ball SDTM, the Tantoine(sp) kicker exit sdtm. Right ramp reject, auto plunger to outlane.

#42 5 years ago

compound this with the cannon blocking your view of the right outlane, really handicapping your ability to attempt saves..

Not that I’m too good when I can actually see the ball but forget about it when it’s under the cannon.

The bell shot is not piece of cake either.

#43 5 years ago

This!! I'd own a ACDC Premium/vault if it wasn't for the stupid cannon placement over the inlane/outlane.

1 year later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-brutal-steve-ritchie-game-to-date-poll?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.