Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190513_192011 (resized).jpg
20190513_192004 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

How do I verify these electronic components are working with a multimeter?

If you could direct me to the setting on the dial of this basic multimeter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Through various troubleshooting steps I believe that the issues I am experiencing on my Pinbot are on this board. All of these electronic components "don't know what they are called" should be identical based off of their markings. If I tap this board, weird things start to happened and I'd like to test the individual components. Logic would state that these all had the same resistance with the machine powered down, but I cannot seem to measure anything here. I am assuming I put one multimeter probe on each side of the same black component, and should be able to measure the amount of power going through them but I can't detect anything with any of these functions.

20190513_192004 (resized).jpg20190513_192004 (resized).jpg20190513_192011 (resized).jpg20190513_192011 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Those are diodes. You want the diode/sound setting/ at about 5:30 on the dial. if you put the red lead on the side with the stripe and the black on the other, you should get no reading. If you reverse them, you should see something between like 0.3V and 1.2V, depending on the diode. All should probably measure the same. Since they're 'in circuit', there could be something else on the board that messes with the readings, but they should still probably be the same. You can't really test parts without desoldering all but one leg, but usually it's fine to do it in circuit

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Those are diodes. You want the diode/sound setting/ at about 5:30 on the dial. if you put the red lead on the side with the stripe and the black on the other, you should get no reading. If you reverse them, you should see something between like 0.3V and 1.2V, depending on the diode. All should probably measure the same. Since they're 'in circuit', there could be something else on the board that messes with the readings, but they should still probably be the same. You can't really test parts without desoldering all but one leg, but usually it's fine to do it in circuit

Perfect! They all read between 560 and 600 on the 5:30 tone mark so I know its not that. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

You bump that board and bad things happen.... check for cold solder joints on all those wire connections... might be your issue. Good luck!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

You bump that board and bad things happen.... check for cold
solder joints on all those wire connections... might be your issue.
Good luck!

I would also maybe start a better thread with the specific issue. I don't mean this in a mean way, but if you don't know how to use a multimeter and don't know what a diode is called, how did you diagnose whatever your issue is down to those components? You will likely get better and quicker advice with more detail on the issue.

#6 4 years ago

yeah description of what game, what its doing or not doing, and which board and which connection you bump would let us lead you to the right fix.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

All of these electronic components "don't know what they are called" should be identical based off of their markings.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes

http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-basic-multi-meter-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.