(Topic ID: 140359)

mosfet 13N10L sub....please

By silver_spinner

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

this mosfet is on rottendog fliptronics board. left flipper locked on during a game and blew fuse f902 on that fliptronics board. one of the mosfets tests bad. replaced fuse, turn game on and fuse instant blows.
    mosfet is 13N10l.
    i dont have any but have plenty others
    will IRF540 work?
    if not, what else will?

#2 8 years ago

Anyone know? Dont want to order if I already have something thst will work.

#3 8 years ago

You want a logic level gate control, so a IRL540 (not IRF540) would be a good replacement.

#5 8 years ago

I have some irl540n I keep as subs for 20n10l. Nte 2987 I think ok as well? Are those good?

#6 8 years ago

Yes.

IRL530 would also sub for the 13N10l.

5 years later
    #8 3 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but figured I’d add some color to this.

I tried using an IRL540N in place of 13N10L and it didn’t work. This was for a Rottendog driver board, in a NASCAR (whitestar). The transistors in question are Q15 and Q16, the flipper transistors. I suspect that in this application, the IRL540N may not work with the way Stern pulses the flipper outputs, but it’s just a theory.

Anybody else run into this?

#9 3 years ago

If it didn't work then there is something else going on.
    The IRL540N and FQP13N10L are essentially the same part except:
    1 -- the IRL540 is rated up to a 36 amp load and the 13N10L is rated up to a 12.8A load.
    2 -- the 13N10L has about 2x 'ON' resistance of the IRL540. More resistance = more heat.

The load current won't matter. But I normally try to keep the power transistors in the same current range. It is probable that he has the circuit board traces sized for this transistor at 13 Amps (or less). If you throw in a 36 amp transistor - it is possible you can burn up a trace if you have a dead short and somebody overfused. Would rather have the transistor give up the ghost before the circuit board traces.
    [Edit -- I made a misleading statement as traces are normally sized for the fuse, not the transistor. But the premise remains the same, best to have transistor burn before the trace.]

The ON resistance shouldn't matter at all unless his board uses current sensing. In that case, it would take some investigation.

Proper sub for the 13N10L is an FQP13N10L.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

If it didn't work then there is something else going on.
    The IRL540N and FQP13N10L are essentially the same part except:
    1 -- the IRL540 is rated up to a 36 amp load and the 13N10L is rated up to a 12.8A load.
    2 -- the 13N10L has about 2x 'ON' resistance of the IRL540. More resistance = more heat.
    The load current won't matter. But I normally try to keep the power transistors in the same current range. It is probable that he has the circuit board traces sized for this transistor at 13 Amps (or less). If you throw in a 36 amp transistor - it is possible you can burn up a trace if you have a dead short and somebody overfused. Would rather have the transistor give up the ghost before the circuit board traces.
    [Edit -- I made a misleading statement as traces are normally sized for the fuse, not the transistor. But the premise remains the same, best to have transistor burn before the trace.]
    The ON resistance shouldn't matter at all unless his board uses current sensing. In that case, it would take some investigation.
    Proper sub for the 13N10L is an FQP13N10L.

Well, three different IRL540 transistors were tried, none worked. The driving SN74HCT374N chip was replaced. The 5V is at 5.1V. I verified all resistor values in the circuit. I probed the SN74HCT374N output and can hear it pulsing when the flipper is activated.

There are some other subtle differences, mostly around capacitance and timing. Not sure if those are a factor for the whitestar flippers, since the outputs are strobed (not held on). Not sure. But agreed, something seems odd.

I’d love to hear from someone else with a rottendog whitestar board that’s had to replace the flipper transistors.

1 year later
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Well, three different IRL540 transistors were tried, none worked. The driving SN74HCT374N chip was replaced. The 5V is at 5.1V. I verified all resistor values in the circuit. I probed the SN74HCT374N output and can hear it pulsing when the flipper is activated.
    There are some other subtle differences, mostly around capacitance and timing. Not sure if those are a factor for the whitestar flippers, since the outputs are strobed (not held on). Not sure. But agreed, something seems odd.
    I’d love to hear from someone else with a rottendog whitestar board that’s had to replace the flipper transistors.

I know this is old but thanks to it I fixed this Rottendog MPU011C. Maybe it was eBay IRL540Ns.... working on a Rottendog MPU011c and one of the Special Solenoid was locked on. Replaced transistor with the IRL540N. Would blow after one or two times firing. After HOURS of chasing down all other options, and 5 new transistors I switched a 13N10l transistor from an unused circuit for this game and boom. Now it works no problem. So maybe just bad chips but I definitely had this issue!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mosfet-13n10l-subplease and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.