299E4D53-339E-435A-B5ED-49FF013F2AF0 (resized).jpeg
A612E53E-03C0-4546-8E92-BAD7851FC568 (resized).jpeg
58F952CF-E66C-4664-BD62-4F1FB72458A6 (resized).jpeg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NightTrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Looking for a little help from someone who knows arcade machines.

I've got a dedicated MK4 cabinet. I've had it for 3-4 years and it's worked pretty well. In the past year or so, I would power the game on and the game wouldn't power up. The marquee would light up but that's it. I noticed the power supply wouldn't power on (no fan). So I would mess with the potentiometer on the side of it and eventually get the game to power up.

It would be fine for a month or so and then I'd have to do the same thing. I'd mess with the potentiometer a little and then it would work fine.

Well last month I couldn't get the game to fire up no matter how much I fiddled with it. The power supply would kick on, but no game. Some of the LEDs on the MK4 game board would light up too.
So I swapped in a multicade jamma board and that worked fine for a few weeks. Well now neither of them work. Do I have a fried power supply? Did my power supply fry both my boards? Did my monitor take shit? What should I test? I have a DVOM and am handy with it. I just need to know what to test.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I figured I shouldn't adjust the power supply voltage blindly. Thought it might bite me in the ass eventually, lol!

I cannot start a game or hear any sound, so I don't think it's the monitor. Seems like the game just isn't firing up. Board or power supply issue.

Quoted from NovaCade:

With a multimeter check the outputs of the power supply and make sure it’s set to 5v.

Where would I check this? On the PCB connector that plugs into the board? Or at the 9-pin connector coming off of the power supply directly?

Quoted from NovaCade:

It’s definitely possible the power supply fried the boards by being set too high.

If the board is fried, any idea who I could send it to for repairs?

Also, where could I find a power supply replacement? I've searched online and haven't come up with anything based off the part number.

#10 1 year ago

I ordered the power supply. Found it on Amazon. Cost a little bit more but it's all good. I'll get that installed and dial in the voltage. I'll report back and go from there. Thank you all!

2 weeks later
#13 1 year ago

So I got the news power supply installed. Dialed in the voltage to 5.05-5.1 volts. Still no luck with either the Mk4 board or the multicade board. The screen comes on, but no fake starts up. I think I smoked these boards.

I may take the board out of my cocktail arcade and try that. Just don’t want to smoke that too.

Here is what the MK board looks like.

Any other thoughts?

58F952CF-E66C-4664-BD62-4F1FB72458A6 (resized).jpeg58F952CF-E66C-4664-BD62-4F1FB72458A6 (resized).jpegA612E53E-03C0-4546-8E92-BAD7851FC568 (resized).jpegA612E53E-03C0-4546-8E92-BAD7851FC568 (resized).jpeg
#17 1 year ago

I think I’ve got it figured out. I smoked both the MK4 board and the 512-1 Hanna board when I cranked up the 5V blindly.

I plugged the 512 into my working cocktail arcade. Didn’t work. Plugged the cocktail arcade 60-1 into the MK4 cab and it worked. Of course the screen was all screwy and sideways, but I expected that.

So where is the best place to buy a 512-1?

Also where is the best place to send in the MK4 board for repairs?

299E4D53-339E-435A-B5ED-49FF013F2AF0 (resized).jpeg299E4D53-339E-435A-B5ED-49FF013F2AF0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NightTrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mortal-kombat-4-help?tu=NightTrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.