3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    mantle.2_(resized).JPG
    mantle.1_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    Trek_(resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I picked up a machine a few months ago and I'm not really sure what to do with it. It was at an estate sale, I got it pretty cheap ($200), it hadn't been functional for several years, and as with anything that just sits, well, it needs some work. I took it to a friend of mine that does some electrical work, and he said he might be able to figure out how to get it going, so I left it with him. He called me a couple of weeks later and said that while he was researching how to go about getting it to work again, he found out it was a fairly rare game. I guess there were only about a dozen or so of them ever made. I don't know that much about it, I really just enjoy playing pinball. So my question is this: Should I get the game fully restored, replace any broken parts, have the play field fixed up, etc., or is the game more valuable left 'as is,' with all of its original parts, and some wear on the play field and not working?

#2 3 years ago

King Kong is too rare of a game to let an electrician work on.

#3 3 years ago

Depends on the title and actual condition . It needs to definitely be fixed up and all working to enjoy it to the fullest tho.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Indeed. You really need an experienced pinball tech to perform the repairs to make sure there are no hack jobs or foul ups. If it were a Williams Flash or something, it wouldn't matter a whole lot. But for a rare game, it's best to have it repaired properly by someone who has the necessary experience.

Or, put it up for sale and let a collector who knows what they're doing take it off your hands

#5 3 years ago

What is the game ? Please post some pictures so we can get an idea of condition it's in..

#6 3 years ago

Really you write your story asking for help in determining if a game has more value restored or not and not once mention the game?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Really you write your story asking for help in determining if a game has more value restored or not and not once mention the game?

sorry about that. Just meant it as a general question, not specific to any one game. It's a Data East game called King Kong. It has some play field wear around the K and the G, as well as by the ramp. I had someone offer me a lot of $$$ for it, but I'm really not interested in selling it. So does the value go down or up if a game has parts replaced and has the play field touched up? I don't have any pictures right now, but when I get a chance I'll get over to my friend's place and will take a few.

#8 3 years ago

Is it April 1st again?

rd

#9 3 years ago

If you are real and not joking
    1/ I doubt you will be able to find any specific parts for this game
    2/ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/25000-to-the-first-person-or-500
    it's very valuable and trying to restore it yourself will not increase it imo, best is to sell it as is.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

it's very valuable and trying to restore it yourself will not increase it imo, best is to sell it as is.

Thank you for the advice. I also just picked up an original Star Trek Bally over the weekend for pretty cheap on Craig's List ($500). It's got a little bit of play field wear right up the middle, as well as a little bit up top. I'm taking it to a local place that does pinball repair's/refurbishing as a business. I'll ask him about the KK while I'm there. I'm actually more excited about the Trek machine, because that gives me three of them now (I've got the 25th Anniversary and the Trek Pro). Just need to fill in The Next Generation and I will have all of them.

#11 3 years ago

Here's a picture of the Trek machine that I'm taking to get refurbished:

Trek_(resized).JPG

#12 3 years ago

Is this thread a joke?

#13 3 years ago

What a bunch of bull, KING KONG yeah right.

#14 3 years ago

I would retheme it. Who wants an outdated title on a mediocre movie.

#15 3 years ago

You guys must be bananas if you believe this monkey business.

image_(resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago

Wow. I'd like to see a picture as well. I mean if that is legit I am amazed. I have found some deals in my day but not like that lol. I'd like to say I would keep it as a prized pinball machine for the collection but screw that. I could do a lot with $25000. I'd just sell it like it is. Amateur restoration on a $25000 machine is counter productive

#17 3 years ago

Unless you're willing to spend thousands to have it restored by HEP or another well-respected restorer, I'd just sell it. If you burn hundred dollar bills to heat your house, feel free to let the local guy have at it, but this sounds like a cautionary tale waiting to happen.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I picked up a machine a few months ago and I'm not really sure what to do with it. It was at an estate sale, I got it pretty cheap ($200), it hadn't been functional for several years, and as with anything that just sits, well, it needs some work. I took it to a friend of mine that does some electrical work, and he said he might be able to figure out how to get it going, so I left it with him. He called me a couple of weeks later and said that while he was researching how to go about getting it to work again, he found out it was a fairly rare game. I guess there were only about a dozen or so of them ever made. I don't know that much about it, I really just enjoy playing pinball. So my question is this: Should I get the game fully restored, replace any broken parts, have the play field fixed up, etc., or is the game more valuable left 'as is,' with all of its original parts, and some wear on the play field and not working?

You started a thread 2 months ago about Data East games. Seems hard to believe you aren't familiar with King Kong, but more power to you if legit. Send it to HEP and never look back.

#19 3 years ago

Were there any cheap, Mickey Mantle rookie cards, Action Comic #1's or Rocket firing Boba Fetts at the sale?

#20 3 years ago

Um... I just looked at the production run for King Kong. REALLY???

#21 3 years ago

I was hoping for a joke thread today. Looks like I found it

#22 3 years ago

Kinda strange as OP already posted in this thread 2 months ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/25000-to-the-first-person-or-500/page/3#post-3012304

#23 3 years ago

That is Finest king Deeah!

#24 3 years ago

All of the King Kongs ever made are currently accounted for.

#25 3 years ago

OK, now that we know the OP is full of shit, perma ban or blanket party?

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

All of the King Kongs ever made are currently accounted for.

OP is full of crap then.. time to take him to Pinside court.

Dooskie of Old Town, ME, you have been accused of lyin, how do you plead to these charges?

#27 3 years ago

It's either a joke or an attempt at a scam.

Here's hoping for joke.

(Which, while dumb, isn't exactly worthy of the "Pinside death penalty").

Pete

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

( isn't exactly worthy of the "Pinside death penalty").
    Pete

Settle for the pinside equivalent of a kick to the nuts?

#29 3 years ago

The OP is a troll for sure and is obviously just trying to cause a reaction for some reason...not sure what the motive is but everyone should just ignore him as he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#30 3 years ago

I will make a sacred, legally binding vow to post a King Kong picture if I catch another post from this dude:

image_(resized).jpeg

#31 3 years ago

More pics of Star Trek please.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

Were there any cheap, Mickey Mantle rookie cards, Action Comic #1's or Rocket firing Boba Fetts at the sale?

Not his rookie card, but still worth a couple of bucks....

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

Let's try that again....Not his rookie card, but still worth a couple of bucks:

mantle.1_(resized).JPG

mantle.2_(resized).JPG

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

More pics of Star Trek please.

Took the Trek to a local place yesterday that has a pinball business. I guess I hit a home run with the backglass. He said he's never seen one in such good condition. The cabinet has a lot of fade on one side, and there are some wear spots on the playfield. There are two boards that he has to replace, and along with the playfield restoration, the led's, the new boards, sealing the backglass, the whole thing is going to be right around $1,150. So for $1,650 (paid $500 for the machine) I'm going to have a really nice Trek. I'll post a couple of pics when I get it back.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The OP is a troll for sure and is obviously just trying to cause a reaction for some reason...not sure what the motive is but everyone should just ignore him as he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

John, the name-calling isn't necessary, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I probably have more of a clue than you think.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

OP is full of crap then.. time to take him to Pinside court.
    Dooskie of Old Town, ME, you have been accused of lyin, how do you plead to these charges?

Fortunately I consider the source when I read anything on Pinside, and I'm also at a point in my life where I really don't care what people think. I'll take some pictures of the machine next time I'm at my friend's business and I'll post them. In the meantime, your court can be in recess.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Settle for the pinside equivalent of a kick to the nuts?

Go right ahead. Mine are made of steel.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Thank you for answering my legitimate question. I am not a pinball collector. I just like to play pinball. I don't know what's worth a lot of money and what isn't. I picked this game up at an estate sale, and since it wasn't working, just took it over to my friends business, since he's a good electrician, and had him look at it (made perfect sense to me, since I don't know squat about electronics and he's an electrician). At the time, I didn't know there were any places locally that specifically repaired pinball machines. After I took it to him, then I saw the thread from the guy offering 25k for a pinball machine, which I thought was crazy. A couple of weeks later when I was over at my friend's business again he told me he'd been looking for parts and had found out the game was fairly rare. Then I put two and two together. I hadn't really paid any attention to the name of the game I had taken over to him. It was just a pinball machine that wasn't working.

To me, I really don't care. I've got more tied up in one rack of inventory in my golf shop than some of the numbers that are getting thrown around here (20 Titleist 915 drivers, 30 Titleist 915 fairways, 25 Titleist 915 hybrids, and several sets of the 716 AP1 and 716 AP2 irons....do the math. If you are a golfer, you will understand). So getting back to my question, I was just wondering if I let my friend poke around on the machine trying to get it to run, is it really going to make that much difference in the value of the machine. He's been a friend for a long time, and I don't want to insult him or his knowledge of electronics by telling him I don't want him to touch it, if he thinks he can fix it. And if he can't fix it, more than likely anything that he does do to it can be undone. I don't intend to have him do anything with the graphics, plus that's not anything he could (or would) do anyways.

So again, thank you for answering my question. I figured if anyone would know anything about these machines, I'd get able to get an answer on forum site like this one. What I didn't expect were some of the nasty comments, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I just consider the source. I'll post some pictures after I get the machine up and running.

#39 3 years ago

We're all nice guys here, for the most part. But look at it from the perspective of someone reading your posts. You claim to have arguably the rarest and most valuable pinball machine in the world. You have no pictures. You have posted in other threads with some knowledge of DE games. All existing King Kongs are accounted for. You must understand our skepticism.

If you stumbled on a legitimate DE King Kong, that is going to generate interest and discussion. If what you're saying is true and you post pictures, I'm sure everyone (including myself) will apologize. Until then, and no offense, your thread is highly suspect, disingenuous or not.

Looking forward to pictures of your game.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

We're all nice guys here, for the most part. But look at it from the perspective of someone reading your posts. You claim to have arguably the rarest and most valuable pinball machine in the world. You have no pictures. You have posted in other threads with some knowledge of DE games. All existing King Kongs are accounted for.
    If you stumbled on a legitimate DE King Kong, that is going to generate interest and discussion. If what you're saying is true and you post pictures, I'm sure everyone (including myself) will apologize. Until then, and no offense, your thread is highly suspect, disingenuous or not.
    Looking forward to pictures of your game.

What you do not understand is I do not care what you or anybody else thinks. The purpose of this thread was just to ask a question. Some folks on here apparently have nothing better to do than to turn nothing into something, including yourself. Nice that you can speak for everybody on Pinside though. Let me know when you are up for re-election.

#41 3 years ago

Mabe this guy is kanda.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Mabe this guy is kanda.

I've heard a few stories. Is he one of the people that caused Pinside to close down their previous forum site and become Pinside?

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I do not care what you or anybody else thinks.

Quoted from Dooskie:

The purpose of this thread was just to ask a question.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

What you do not understand is I do not care what you or anybody else thinks. The purpose of this thread was just to ask a question. Some folks on here apparently have nothing better to do than to turn nothing into something, including yourself. Nice that you can speak for everybody on Pinside though. Let me know when you are up for re-election.

OK. Good luck to you here on pinside.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I am an electrician, only two games I have worked on have caught fire. So there!

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

I am an electrician, only two games I have worked on have caught fire. So there!

Not sure that's something I'd be bragging about.

#47 3 years ago

Why is this a thread? Pictures or it didn't happen, bra!

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

We're all nice guys here

I hope you are not referring to me.

#49 3 years ago

This is total BS. Stop feeding the troll. Nobody finds a $200 King Kong at an estate sale, comes here, and doesn't post pictures of their find. Nor do they not look up on their phone what it is they're buying at the sale. Here is my vote to close this thread.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hope you are not referring to me.

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 209.99
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside