(Topic ID: 107183)

More USPS shipping woes....Your input is appreciated!

By OLDPINGUY

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What shipping controls and costs would you like”

• Keep it the Way it is....$3.95 flat or free in the US 34 votes
      60%
    • Switch to UPS and have a flat rate of $6-$8 and free shipping moved to $150-$200 12 votes
      21%
    • Fedex, with all tracking, at $10-$20 per shipment 1 vote
      2%
    • Other 2 votes
      4%
    • Send emails to everyone telling them to be patient, and stop watching the tracking screen? 8 votes
      14%

(57 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-692.jpg
    image-841.jpg
    image-945.jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I need your input here.
    Dozens more distribution centers are scheduled to close in the next 4-6 months.

Not a day goes by where I dont have a dozen emails, with questions like:

"Why is my package taking longer than 3 days"
    "Can you call someone to find my package and have them move it faster"
    "Why isnt tracking up to date when I check, there has been no updates for 2 days"

I do my best to explain we ship free or $3.95, trying to keep the cost down, and ship usually in 24 hours.
    Lately, their have been more postal mistakes and delays resulting in everything from unhappy to threatening
    customers. (boy there was a dozy on facebook 2 weeks ago)

I call it the Amazon effect...Everything in 2 days free, expected.

So whats best? We have had the debate of Shipping is too expensive.

Should I move to a $6-$7 charge, and its UPS with better tracking?

I know lots of people that enjoy the free shipping, but that may not be possible if I have to pay twice the shipping cost,
    so Id have to raise prices, so know one wants that.

I look for your help with this poll, so I can do a better job, and also that anyone ordering might see these answers.

Even when I offer all options, which is another choice, it can be a burden to run to PO, then UPS, then Fedex every night....

Whats best for everyone?

I really appreciate the input.....trying to figure how to make everyone happy.

(now hopefully I havent screwed up this poll like the last one)

#2 9 years ago

Tell everyone it will take 7 days.

When it comes early, people will be happy.

#3 9 years ago

I don't think offering options would help - people would choose the cheapest option and still call and complain. I don't think you'll ever be able to avoid that 1% of assholes.

You could offer "Comet Prime" - free 2 day shipping after $80 annual fee.

Edit: Now that I've thoguht about it a bit more, maybe offer two levels of shipping, free and slow, or flat rate and faster with tracking, both USPS.

#4 9 years ago

Personally, if a package takes a few extra days to arrive, it doesn't matter much to me. Nothing I order online is an emergency purchase that I need ASAP. I'd rather spend less and wait a few days.

On the other hand, there are some folks who suffer from the instant gratification syndrome and would eagerly pay more for faster delivery.

For better customer service, I'd say offering a "cheap & slow" option and a "fast & expensive" option would cover most bases. But like you said, that means and extra stop for shipping stuff out--so include that in as part of the handling cost for the more expensive shipping option.

#5 9 years ago

I don't know how much of your business is generated in Canada......but I know UPS or anything other than USPS is a killer for us!

#6 9 years ago

I have found it is best to just charge a pinch more and ship everything priority. They get it way faster and safer. I'd rather eat a bit more cost and have the cust pay a couple dollars more and get the package way faster. So basically the small increase for priority is split. It is of course a bummer when people only need a few bulbs and the order itself is $10 and the shipping is 6-8$, but I had too many issues with the cheap options. They were slow, abused and lost a lot more often.

People love the cheap and slow option until that includes "cheap, slow and lost" and no insurance is on it.

I have amazon prime personally and still pay the the extra few dollars+ to get it in one day all the time.

I mostly only have lost package issues when shipping to Canada, but that is because it goes the "cheapest" first class option since priority is nearly double on international.

USPS tracking is so awful though compared to UPS/FedEx Sometimes goes a bit without updates that are a frustration for us and customers of course.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I don't know how much of your business is generated in Canada......but I know UPS or anything other than USPS is a killer for us!

This is why I still USPS. At shows and working with the Canadian customers they all have this same feedback. I hear something that UPS.FEDex rails you guys for taxes or something like that awful

#7 9 years ago

I was one of the people who contacted you about shipping on my first order. USPS tracking was erratic and made it appear that the package was stalled. Your prompt and polite reply was to not panic and see what happens. Package arrived the next day.

I have ordered from you since and no longer pay attention to the wacky tracking. The actual delivery is just fine.

#8 9 years ago

Priority is a ripoff when first class is so inexpensive.

I'd state free 5 business day shipping, and put on your website that delays are the sole responsibility of USPS.

#9 9 years ago

I ship everything I produce via USPS Priority for domestic US and First class to Canada. With 2 day delivery in most cases (domestic US) the tracking is really moot...however, if one does go astray at least it can be tracked and carries $50 insurance.

#10 9 years ago

Thank You for the input.

We currently offer:
    $3.95 flat all orders under $99....but the message from USPS still says 3 days...they wont change that
    $7.95 Priority (This gets there no faster than the $3.95, because of the restructuring of Distribution centers from Orlando)
    Free shipping over $99
    Fedex 2nd day at $19.95
    Overseas and Canada starting at $13.95.

Is it me, or are the Instant gratification, Amazon "yesterday" just changing everyones thoughts, and growing in numbers?

If this is all good and people dont read, do I need to just hire someone to spend 2-3 hours a day,
    to email..."Please be patient"

I see the response for priority, yet that is just as slow....unless you are near a working hub.

#11 9 years ago

First class is only good up to 13oz then you have to bump it up to Parcel Post or Priority. The flat rate boxes are good and you do have to compare some of the options. For instance it can be cheaper to ship a normal priority box over a medium or large flat rate box. It is all in the "zoning". Middle country states make out.

Look into Reginal A and B boxes as well. These can be even cheaper but they are zoned to your area so going long distances isn't going to help. The added bonus to priority is it is automatically insured $50 if it does get lost. It really is a juggling act though in terms of options.

#12 9 years ago

You should offer free shipping with 7 day arrival. If they need it faster, they can pay a surcharge for expedited or priority shipping. That way when packages arrive quicker, you will look good.

#13 9 years ago

Actually Art best thing to do is to offer the other options has shipping and then create a page explaining all your frequently asked questions...that way you are not wasting your time on emails.

As well put a link to that newly created page on your invoices. right beside the tracking number information. That way people can reference back to that before sending you an email.

I'm guilty of doing this on my last order since we had a bit of a confusion in the cart. BTW the bulbs are in the machines

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Priority is a ripoff when first class is so inexpensive.
    I'd state free 5 business day shipping, and put on your website that delays are the sole responsibility of USPS.

It's not though. Domestic priority is almost always 2 day at this point. 3 in some cases coast to coast. And I have so much less damage on packages I order to come here. First class is not an ideal solution for packages, thats for letters or flat items. Packages first class get destroyed. Things online tend to be cheaper anyways so paying for shipping isn't bad in the end.

#15 9 years ago

Offer standard but maybe offer priority if needed in a hurry.

UPS ground is usually slow in my experience.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not a day goes by where I dont have a dozen emails, with questions like:

Can ask ask seriously if this is being exaggerated? It would indicate you get hundreds of orders a day really.

#17 9 years ago

We ship everything priority for a flat $5 for under $100

Orders over $100 get free priority shipping.

Ordered 2 bulbs? $5 shipping please..

Order $10000 and your order is the size of a small elephant? that'll be free 99 for your shipping and it still gets shipped Priority mail!

We have had 2 shipping issues ever - 1 the post office damaged the box, the other they flat out lost.

Looking at shipment/delivery data - all but 2 shipments in September were delivered in 2 days and quite a few were delivered in 1 day...

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Can ask ask seriously if this is being exaggerated? It would indicate you get hundreds of orders a day really.

Thank you for your concern.

I average now 164 daily emails I answer related to LEDs .about a dozen a day, are related to shipping delivery time.
    yes, we have a high daily average, and ship several hundred packages a week.
    Maybe 10% have shipping expectations, so maybe my average daily total amortized over 30 days might be 8-10 daily, but that includes some emails requiring several exchanges.

Yesterday, the post office scanned all packages "IN" as "delivered"...I had 18 emails from last night questioning
    How it could have been delivered. (Thats out of 64 boxes)

I guess, personally, I order, and wait for it arrive.....I didnt realize people actually watch tracking daily......
    my mistake.

We do offer the choice of services, and indeed send 3-7 day notifications, we are redoing our FAQ at this time,
    but it seems that there is more an expectation today, which I am grateful for your input.

James, I think because my packages go from WP, to Orlando, to Miami, to the next hub, we rarely see priority arrive in less than 5 days....Same with first class.

I am going to guess its likely just me trying to get everything out ASAP, and feeling inadequate, because the post office is not meeting expected delivery and I cant do anything about that.

I have not used UPS for years, when I had too many losses...How are you all seeing their delivery?
    Any lost packages left outside, etc.?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

Looking at shipment/delivery data - all but 2 shipments in September were delivered in 2 days and quite a few were delivered in 1 day...

Thanks, I guess the system is still working by you....I rarely ever see 2-3 days, so this helps explain "expectations"

Same service selected, faster delivery from other areas.....beginning to make sense....Thanks!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you for your concern.
    I average now 164 daily emails I answer related to LEDs .about a dozen a day, are related to shipping delivery time.
    yes, we have a high daily average, and ship several hundred packages a week.
    Maybe 10% have shipping expectations, so maybe my average daily total amortized over 30 days might be 8-10 daily, but that includes some emails requiring several exchanges.
    Yesterday, the post office scanned all packages "IN" as "delivered"...I had 18 emails from last night questioning
    How it could have been delivered. (Thats out of 64 boxes)
    I guess, personally, I order, and wait for it arrive.....I didnt realize people actually watch tracking daily......
    my mistake.
    We do offer the choice of services, and indeed send 3-7 day notifications, we are redoing our FAQ at this time,
    but it seems that there is more an expectation today, which I am grateful for your input.
    James, I think because my packages go from WP, to Orlando, to Miami, to the next hub, we rarely see priority arrive in less than 5 days....Same with first class.
    I am going to guess its likely just me trying to get everything out ASAP, and feeling inadequate, because the post office is not meeting expected delivery and I cant do anything about that.
    I have not used UPS for years, when I had too many losses...How are you all seeing their delivery?
    Any lost packages left outside, etc.?

164 emails daily, wow! I don't even do that many between LED emails and my regular job which involves sales and support emails all day. Insane, must be quite the operation over there

I was gonna say, you are located in one of the farthest corners of the states so maybe that adds an extra day to it. I ship to Florida frequently though and don't get too many emails about the delay or anything. Looking at records they all show 3 day delivered.

USPS leave packages outside too, just as UPS and all about area I suppose for theft.

#21 9 years ago

Ups usually takes quite a bit longer in my experience. Usually 4-5 days for standard parcel. Fed ex is expebsive but seems to work a bit faster.

Usps still seems tk be the quickest and the cheapest solution. Things are really going to slow down soon for the holidays though.

#22 9 years ago

Dont ask James....

Overseas has exploded recently, and with language translations, and different products, they add up to about a 1/3 of the emails.
    Again, some emails get to discussing a bulb or concept,or where a package is, and turns into 10-15 exchanges....I am happy to help, it just takes time.
    ...and I have 3 other businesses, but they take up much less email time, still the same shipping woes.

See, I cant even say, pick priority mail, because it will get there faster...it isnt happening from here.
    Fedex, doesnt seem to win any support.

Ill schedule a rep from DHL and UPS to visit, but is anyone finding UPS fast?

Thanks for an answer from the post above....edit

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

we rarely see priority arrive in less than 5 days....Same with first class.

I consider myself a US Postal shipping "expert", self titled. Being devil's advocate here, Can you give me say.. 10-20 or so examples, all from the same day? Should be pretty easy to cut & paste tracking numbers.

#24 9 years ago

I ship my fair share, most everything short of PCBs goes First Class, regardless of what part of the world I'm sending it to.

Transit time is pretty fast, and is often as fast as priority, at 1/2 the price or less.

If you're doing the volume of sales that you mention, that tells me you're doing something right, and your customers must like how you are doing things. My suggestion would be to write a FAQ with the common questions you are asked, and point people asking questions to it, or perhaps put it in the e-mail signature that is sent with your shipping conformations.

I do a fair volume of shipments, not as high as it sounds like you do, though, and only have a small % of people asking where their order is. The delivery confirmation is pretty good and accurate!

#25 9 years ago

Id rather not disclose personal sales information.

Is your question you dont believe me that Priority can take longer than 2-3 days from Orlando Florida?

Thanks John,

ll have an updated FAQ this weekend...I hope it gets read is all I can do.

#26 9 years ago

Wait - does your cheap shipping not come with a tracking #?

#27 9 years ago

Whatever you do, continue to provide clear expectations.

My vote would be to provide shipping options and then clearly state that you ship ASAP (as you always do) and that typical transit times for each option are X with no promise and delivery is out of your control.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Wait - does your cheap shipping not come with a tracking #?

Yes, 100% but tracking is not day to day accurate, resulting in issues and expectations..

Thanks Whysnow, Ill word the FAQ a bit tighter.....

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Id rather not disclose personal sales information.

Is your question you don't believe me that Priority can take longer than 2-3 days from Orlando Florida?

A tracking number reveals neither personal information nor sales info. I'm willing to take the time to help you understand what is going on, you're blaming the US Postal service for what seems to be an EXTREME amount of failures, and saying you get a very high number of emails on a daily basis complaining. Do I "believe" a Priority package "can?" take longer. SURE! But I also believe the USPS is pretty fast and accurate, so show me some examples! Here's some:

9405511899561222582350 (Two days, From MO in IN, no personal info)
    9405511899561713674076 (Mo to PA, 3 days)
    9405511899561114952209 (MO to FL, 2 days)
    9405511899561134752117 (MO to FL, 5 days but over a weekend)

#30 9 years ago

....3 emails regarding shipping..."where is it" in the last 15 minutes! Yikes!

looks like average time for priority maybe a tad over 4 days
    and first class 1-2 days longer...

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

.3 emails regarding shipping..."where is it" in the last 15 minutes! Yikes!

looks like average time for priority maybe a tad over 4 days
    and first class 1-2 days longer...

Let's see those tracking numbers so you can get some advice you asked for!

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

A tracking number reveals neither personal information nor sales info. I'm willing to take the time to help you understand

(I answered as I did because I am logged in so I see peoples info...)

Thank you for your help.

Here are some #'s

Tracking: 9405511899561337934907 5 days Priority
    Tracking: 9405511899561165002915 5 days priority
    Tracking: 9400111899561157792739 7 days priority
    Tracking: 9405511899561158937279 5 day priority
    Tracking: 9405511899561112537385 5 days priority

Now, I am not blaming the post office, and I understand that there are weekends, and days they scan the next day.
    for sure, many do get delivered in 2 -3 days...its more that even priority can have issues....although less.

I think the answers have been touched on, but I do welcome more.

People voting, also helps me understand what customers may want, and that is appreciated,

I will try to beef up all the wording to try to affect this more.

Sorry to not be fast enough in my reply, I have orders to ship...and email questions in between...still working.

#33 9 years ago

As a Canadian, I reiterate what Bigbossfan said. USPS is the way for us to get your products at a rate that makes it worth ordering smaller batches. Tracking...thats a bonus. Canadians ordering know that tracking on USPS isn't an exact science but at least we know its shipped and it will get here when it gets here. I have an order with Comet right now, and I just checked tracking, its on its way and the latest update was yesterday...am I worried...no. Having a UPS or Fedex only option, would make me second guess ordering because of unreal brokerage fees. Thanks for the reasonable USPS shipping option Art!

#34 9 years ago

Thank you Budfan....I dont mean to start a war here, but I cant recall a customer from Canada asking about a package
    being late....I think whatever you buy from the states shipped USPS, that the time utility is understood.

Thanks!

#35 9 years ago

Looks like youre including Sunday... Also it looks like your packages take a day just to get to Orlando PO

Tracking: 9405511899561337934907 5 days Priority -1 day for Sunday & -1 day the recipient wasnt available for whatever reason - 3 Days in reality for this one

Tracking: 9405511899561165002915 5 days priority -1 day for Sunday - Thousand Palms is in the middle of nowhere...

Tracking: 9400111899561157792739 7 days priority -1 day for Sunday (This was actually sent 1st class)

Tracking: 9405511899561158937279 5 day priority -1 day for Sunday

Tracking: 9405511899561112537385 5 days priority -1 day for Sunday & -1 day for "Undeliverable as Addressed" - 3 days for this one

#36 9 years ago

Art, great product! I only order from you. Shipping has been slow for anything I've had come USPS lately. Personally, I'm ok with a higher order minimum to satisfy the free shipping or paying a little more to see UPS or FedEx deliver. $3-4 more wont break the bank and will ensure a speedy delivery. I don't stock hundreds of bulbs at a time so usually when I order, I'm looking to get them quickly, if that comes with a fee of what equates to 3-5 extra bulbs in price, well I'm good with that.

#37 9 years ago

Okay, so these chosen with Sunday represent a 4 day and 6 day delivery.

Different then the message from the post office and the expectation of 2-3 days, and emails on day 3, "where is it?"
    The undeliverable is a postal person error, as it did get delivered, and the address has been shipped to before.

How can you help me?

Is your suggestion to offer only priority mail, so that the extra 2 days of first class are not available to help expectations?

#38 9 years ago

Here's what I see. First off these are scattered all over the boards on dates.

Tracking: 9405511899561337934907 5 days Priority. You printed on the 3rd a Wednesday, but not in the PO's hands until noon the next day a Thursday, it arrived 3PM on Monday. You can't call this 5 days.

Tracking: 9405511899561165002915 5 days priority. Again printed on one day, picked up the next past 3PM, and it was in CALIFORNIA the next day, From Friday afternoon to Tuesday delivery is not 5 days.

Tracking: 9400111899561157792739 7 days priority. According to the tracking, was printed on the 17th (A Wednesday), but not taken to the PO until Friday morning. This was First Class, not Priority, and Wellsville Kansas is way outside a metro area. Friday to Wednesday (over a weekend) is not 7 days.

Tracking: 9405511899561158937279 5 day priority. Printed one day, taken to the PO the next, in this case at the PO at 6:45 at night (on Thursday), delivered on Monday

Tracking: 9405511899561112537385 5 days priority: Picked up on a Wednesday, in Texas Saturday but marked as "Undeliverable as Addressed", magically delivered Monday.

On all of these except the last cause I can't tell, you print postage one day and it's the next day (often late in the day) or even the next that it's in the PO's hands. You can't use that to measure. It happens, it happens all the time with me cause my mailman comes and goes by noon, but I don't see an issue here. I don't know how you operate, how you inform customers you've shipped, or anything, but if you're truly getting those types of question 12 a day, 2 more in 15 minutes, and this is after people check their tracking info, I don't know what to tell you. The USPS appears to be doing their job.

#39 9 years ago

Thank you for your help. When we drop off mostly at 3:30, the post office may not scan until the next day...
    Thats what tracking shows. From the side of shipping, once its at the post office, if they need a day to process, its still a day.
    I am not sure what to share with you, I know the post office has issues and hub changes, and I know customers want it faster...I am simply opening up to see what people want.

#40 9 years ago

I'm sure someone has suggest to add an express shipping option at a premium rate. No to split hairs, but your product isn't VITAL, even for operators who make their living on pins. A burnt out bulb can stay burnt out an extra day, and if someone wants to spend an extra $10 to get it, we shouldn't all get hit with the fee. I've always noticed that your shipments arrive within 5 business days, even here in Albuquerque from Florida.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

+1..if you want 2 day shipping guaranteed, start sending me $6 a month (or whatever it is) forever like 'zon. stinkin instant gratification spoiled little wankers.
    send them back to the dark ages of year old catalogs and phone in mail order to make them appreciate how things have progressed.

#42 9 years ago

Oh! AND, yeah, USPS sucks. It's a monopoly that clearly doesn't give a sh!t about it's customers, but that's not a surprise to anyone. One post office might be great and fast, and ten miles up the road another might be awful and lose stuff all the time. Even one teller might be great compared to the person sitting next to them! Massive frustration, but UPS doesn't have a 'first class' option price-wise....

#43 9 years ago

Give a $ 8-10 expedite option.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

+1..if you want 2 day shipping guaranteed, start sending me $6 a month (or whatever it is) forever like 'zon. stinkin instant gratification spoiled little wankers.
    send them back to the dark ages of year old catalogs and phone in mail order to make them appreciate how things have progressed.

haha! That's the other end of the spectrum I guess. I remember being 12 or so and waiting 8-10 weeks for Street Fighter to arrive in the mail from a mail order catalog. My dad was going nuts with me asking him 'Is it here yet?' forty times in a row...

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When we drop off mostly at 3:30, the post office may not scan until the next day...

Get to know your mailman. Ask him to scan when he picks up. Mine does, although he's a rural worker and they're paid by packages, so he WANTS to. If that doesn't work you can Request a Pickup online and they will make a special trip. I've learned to never drop off, especially "express" packages. I dropped off a 2-day Express at 9AM that didn't get scanned in ANOTHER PO until later that day past 7PM, "missing" the guarantee cutoff so no money back guarantee. You know, since they didn't get it until late that night.

Were those tracking numbers you provided from inquiring customers?

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

UPS with better tracking?

FYI, I order some stock parts from a company in Florida, and UPS is almost always 6 days and they miss often enough to annoy me.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly. Under-promise and over-deliver. Its what the pros do!

#48 9 years ago

Indeed, I know my mailman and the staff down the street, some for over 30 years since high school!

Indeed we offer priority and Fedex second day. No issues with Fedex. A handful of issues with priority, but mostly it is about being a day or 2 late, the tracking numbers not being updated. Again, Toddsvec, I am not here to insult USPS, or to complain they are not doing their job. Not anything like that, I am grateful for all they do so well.

The purpose was to see if I should add UPS or move only to priority, etc...just trying to find out what people want, not really "whose to blame" .

In many ways, just this post helps, because a few people might read and understand that tracking isnt real time.

I can tell them this, but sometimes it needs to be read elsewhere,

No, I did not correlate tracking numbers with customer issues.,...my apologies, I dont have time to do so.

But If you really want one that shows it was shipped from me and delivered to me the next day, Ill dig that up for you,

Thank you for everyones support and input, it is invaluable.

#49 9 years ago

I have never had a single problem with USPS priority mail both as shipper and receiver. I should add that I get tons of packages. 98% of the times I've had problems it has been UPS. I avoid them at all costs. FEDEX is pretty good too.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you for your help. When we drop off mostly at 3:30, the post office may not scan until the next day...
    Thats what tracking shows. From the side of shipping, once its at the post office, if they need a day to process, its still a day.
    I am not sure what to share with you, I know the post office has issues and hub changes, and I know customers want it faster...I am simply opening up to see what people want.

Change locations maybe. As long as I get items to the PO by 5:15pm it scans and starts its journey then

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-usps-shipping-woesyour-input-is-appreciated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.