(Topic ID: 216769)

MORE TMNT Display Woes... DMD is resetting itself under flipper load

By TheDrewster

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just got the DMD on my Data East TMNT working, but now I have realized that under flipper load, the DMD will reboot itself. It cuts out, flashes the ROM version, and will eventually pick itself back up when something new happens during gameplay. I have checked all the cables and connectors and I *think* I can narrow it down to a voltage drop, but since the drop happens so quickly, I cannot pick it up with my multimeter. It only happens when the flippers are exercised. The display will work fine when left alone idle. Wiggling the connectors or firing the other coils don't seem to have any effect on the display. I uploaded an excerpt from my next YouTube video on the restoration of this machine to show you what I am experiencing. Any help is appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

Check the power supply board for cold solder joints at CN5.
Check the display driver board (not the display itself) for cold solder joints at J2.
Check the fuse holders for firm holding the fuses.
These are the most known points to check.
It has to be a drop of 5V at some point, but the CPU keeps going, so it has to be a connector (imhp).

No 100V drop, because the display reboots.
With a 100V drop the display would just blink and continue.

Peter

#3 5 years ago

I am curious. Have you changed any capacitors on the original power supply?

Quoted from TheDrewster:

Just got the DMD on my Data East TMNT working

What fixed this issue? Might be helpful for others to know.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I am curious. Have you changed any capacitors on the original power supply?

What fixed this issue? Might be helpful for others to know.

The display was missing entirely and had to burn a whole new ROM.

I will check the connectors and report back. I am crossing my fingers it’s not caps because I don’t have time to order them before the Golden State Pin Fest that I’m bringing this machine to.

#5 5 years ago

I had a similar issue, and I will echo the power supply caps and connectors advice.

#6 5 years ago

Issue seems to be resolved by replacing caps CN2 and CN7 on the power supply. The display hasn't hiccuped since replacing them. Hallelujah!!

#7 5 years ago

I watch 8 bit pit.... so like.... spoiler alert?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I watch 8 bit pit.... so like.... spoiler alert?

Haha I guess so!

#9 5 years ago

Great. I hope it works throughout the show for you next weekend.

#10 5 years ago

Had this game and loved it. Of all the games ive owned and repaired TMNT is a hot mess of problems and a lot of the parts are unobtainable

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-tmnt-display-woes-dmd-is-resetting-itself-under-flipper-load and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.