Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adalogue
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zero x (resized).JPG
    IMG_4648 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4643 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4518 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3187 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I just finished working on a Bally -17. It was pretty corroded. I replaced all the components in the lower section including U8 socket. I bench tested it yesterday and today. It booted fine - all 7 flashes. Tonight I thought I'd take some photos and a video. Now it's flashing 8 times. After the 7th flash it comes back on and just strobes really fast. The strobing is not showing in the video. I've never seen this before. I don't even know where to look.

Thanks

Bob

#5 3 years ago

I'm getting 330.8 Hz. What is except able?

#6 3 years ago

adalogue, my power supply has a 24 volt output as well as 5 and 12 volts. I only use the 24 volts (connected to TP3) to check for the last flash.

It's not rebooting - after the seventh flash the LED just goes in a constant flicker.

Bob

IMG_3187 (resized).JPGIMG_3187 (resized).JPG
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

BTW can you post a clear picture of the bottom left of the board? I'm curious why inductors L1 and L2 next to the J4 connector look so different.

L2 was replaced because of corrosion

Before

IMG_4518 (resized).JPGIMG_4518 (resized).JPG

After

IMG_4643 (resized).JPGIMG_4643 (resized).JPG

Quoted from Quench:

What happens when you hook the board up in an actual game?

The only game I have here at this time is a Meteor - MPU 200.

Quoted from Quench:

What happens after the board has passed the 7 LED flashes if you then remove the 24V zero crossing connection? Does the MPU LED still flicker?

I'll let you know shortly.

Thanks

Bob

#9 3 years ago

When I boot with 24 Volts connected I get the usual - 7 flashes then flicker. Then I turned off the 24 V at the power supply and it rebooted but only 6 flashes (as expected). Then I booted again with 24 V and it did it's usual thing as before but this time I disconnected the 24 V lead at TP3 and it continued to flicker but the flicker seemed to have a different frequency. It would flicker then stop flickering for a second then start flickering again.

Earlier today I looked over the work I did and I wasn't real happy with the solder joints at C16. Although continuity was good the solder joints didn't look so good. I removed C16, Cleaned the pads and reinstalled it. No difference.

Visually I can't see anything else wrong.

Where to go next?

Thanks

Bob

#10 3 years ago

This thing booted fine last week when I rebuilt everything. Then I installed the headers and it booted fine. Then I painted the bare copper traces and it booted fine. As soon as I got out my camera for a video it starts messing up.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The legs on the 5101 RAM look green. Might want to carefully clean them with a small brass wire brush

I replaced the socket and cleaned the legs but maybe not very well - it was corroded. I have a fear of breaking off the legs. Any tips on how to clean them?

Quoted from Quench:

Is the U6 ROM chip plugged all the way in? It looks like it's sitting out a bit.

I think it's the way those ROMs are made. U2 is the same way.

IMG_4648 (resized).JPGIMG_4648 (resized).JPG

Quoted from Quench:

That new inductor looks like an old fashioned resistor

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LM2-R22K

Can I just put the board in the Meteor and connect MPU J4 only?

#14 3 years ago

Thanks Quench, I'll try that tomorrow.

Isn't this the zero crossing circuit?

zero x (resized).JPGzero x (resized).JPG

Could U10 or U14 be causing this problem?

Bob

#16 3 years ago

I replace U10 (I didn't swap). Got the same results.

I checked the voltages as indicated in the above post.

CR49 top = 5.25 (should be 5v)

CR49 bottom = 5.38 (should be 4.9

U14 Pin 14 = 5.38
    pin 10 and 5 =4.9
    pin 9 and 15 = 336 mV
    pin 4 = 336 mV

Now here's the strange thing, after probing those voltages I looked over at the LED and it was off. I rebooted several times and now I get just the seven flashes - no flickering.

After typing this I went back and checked it again - same as before - seven flashes then flickering. I left it on for a minute or so and rebooted - seven flashes then off - no flickering. Seems it needs to warm up before it works right.

Next I turned on only the 24 V and let it warm up for a few minutes (no 5 or 12 V). Then I turned on the 5 & 12 V - same thing seven flashes then flickering. I left it flicker for a few minutes then rebooted. No difference still flickering. (BTW I love this power supply)

I didn't have time today to swap boards in the Meteor. That's next.

Thanks

Bob

#17 3 years ago

I just tried the board in the Meteor. Seven flashes then what looks like solid on. It might be flickering but I can't tell. Attract mode seems to be working - the feature lights seems to be working as normal. Only the left 3 digits on all displays are on but they are flickering. The forth digit (from the left) acts like it wants to join the party but it just don't want to come on. I'd call it half flickering. The last two are dark.

I didn't screw the board down - I just plugged in J1 and J4 and left the board hanging. Dangerous, I know.

Thanks

Bob

#19 3 years ago

I had a little shop time today. I was going to swap U11 but first I thought I'd try to boot it up. It booted fine - seven flashes then off. I tried several times - it worked every time. I left it on for 10 - 15 minutes and tried again. It booted fine. Then I rechecked the voltages as I did above. Same voltages as before. I booted it several more times and it works fine every time.

Now I'm at a real loss. I can't fix it if it ain't broke - but I know it's broke.

I'll try again later.

Thanks

Bob

#21 3 years ago

What I did do was push the U11 down in the socket a little more. I didn't think it made a difference but maybe it did. I think a close look at U11 and perhaps I'll change it next. Not getting any shop time lately.

I'll keep you all advised.

Thanks

Bob

#22 3 years ago

After I cut the grass today I got a little shop time. I booted up the board several times and it worked fine. I removed U11 and the chip was clean. I removed the socket housing and sure enough it was corroded under it. I proceeded to remove the socket pins and clean the solder pads. I hope to clean a little more and install a new socket tomorrow. Maybe we found the problem. I'll let you know.

Thanks

Bob

#23 3 years ago

Friday I replaced the U11 socket and it booted just fine but I didn't want to take any chances so today I replaced the U7 socket. I already replaced the U8 socket. It's booting fine now. I think we got this solved.

Thanks to everyone.

Bob

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-than-7-flashes?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.