(Topic ID: 188568)

More STTNG troubleshooting FUN!

By Cmdr_Riker

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I bought my first pin a few months back - a STTNG - and an unexpected surprise to the game was the secret mode where you get to play as the ship's Chief Engineer, Geordi LaForge, and try to fix the darn thing every week! You know the designers were a fan of the show!

After spending much time last week finally tracking down a bad opto and replacing it, rebuilding all three flippers and fixing the drop target in back, this thing was playing beautifully for about 3-4 days. Then on Saturday night, after playing about a dozen games or so I leave the machine on (attract mode) to take my cat for a walk (a different story) with the intention of playing more when I returned. About 30 minutes later, upon my arrival I find that all the playfield boards have lost power. Everything else is powered (lamps, switches, DMD) but not the opto boards or gun motors.

The 16 Opto board and trough boards are both powered by +12V delivered by J118 on the Power Driver board. Upon reading the schematics of the Power Driver board, the +12V power fed to J118 runs through test point 1 and LED 7 on the board. The LED is not lit and the test point reads < 1V. Fuse F116 also resides in this circuit and it has also blown. Checked all other fuses.. this was the only bad one.

So I replaced the fuse hoping that would solve the problem and as expected... it did not. Upon turning on the machine again, the playfield boards, motors, and LED 7 would work/light, but only for about 5 seconds before F116 once again blew and the motors and opto boards shut down accompanied by a faint but distinctive burnt electronics smell.

Also, some other anomalies, Captain: LED 5 (+20V flashlamp circuit) is also off (normally on) on the Power Driver board, and test points 6 & 7 (50V and 20V, respectively) also show near zero voltages.

While I'm not a complete dunce when it comes to electronics, my knowledge and hands-on experience is very limited and I'm at sort of an impasse. I'm not really sure where to go from here and I was hoping some enthusiastic STTNG pinsiders could lend some of their expertise on this.

Thank you!

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like your power driver board has some issues.

If you haven't done board work, I'd check with Borygard or Chrishibler who post here.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Broken STTNG pins makes me sad. You may have something causing too much draw on the 12V, as you now know this voltage goes everywhere. The best thing to do is to try and locate the source of the burning smell. You may want to try disconnecting J118 and see if the fuse still blows.

As for the 20V and 50V, I'm going to assume you either have the coin door open which is interlocked to disable both of those voltages, or the interlock switch may be flaky.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

As for the 20V and 50V, I'm going to assume you either have the coin door open which is interlocked to disable both of those voltages, or the interlock switch may be flaky.

Yes, I realized this a little after I posted - my coin door was open. So really the only issue is the 12V. I took the whole board out to check BR5 and it tested out ok. So I put the board back in, popped a fresh fuse into F116, and left J118 disconnected as you suggested.... and sure enough, the 12V line was stable and did not blow the fuse.

So I reconnected J118, turned on the machine with the playfield up, and was getting ready to detect where the smell was coming from when, to my surprise, the 12V again did not fail.

So the machine is working 100% again now, but not due to anything I did, unfortunately. Maybe just re-seating everything on the power driver board did it? Or maybe moving the playfield up and down loosened something that was previously shorted. In either case, I feel that this issue will probably come up again, and I'll again have to play Geordi LaForge when it does.

But thank you for your guidance, Pin_Guy.

#5 6 years ago

I love STTNG - but more than most other pins it seems to take a lot to get it dialed in and working 100%, but I think once you get there you will think it was worth it.

But what I really am interested in is how do you take a cat for a walk?!

#6 6 years ago

That's apartment living for you. He gets so stir crazy sometimes he needs to get outside. All it takes is a small dog harness and A LOT of patience. But he loves me for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-sttng-troubleshooting-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.