Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dashv
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9251CFCA-3F52-4D3E-9586-52CE5CFC28AA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20191115_193025 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

0 for 2 on RD boards this month.
    Anyhow I needed a new DMD displayed board as the old one was so burnt I couldn't re populate it with destroyed traces.
    I've used this new one for less than 3 hours and its started to have all Dots on and do waving movement on the display during animation.
    Has anyone else had this issue?
    IMG_20191115_193025 (resized).jpgIMG_20191115_193025 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Is it possibly the cable?

#3 4 years ago

I reseated the cables - no change
    I swapped the cables from a known good game - no change
    I swapped the DMD display with known good - no change
    I put everything back to original and swapped in a OEM DMD power board - problem went away...

I still haven't got back my Power driver board with factory bad transistors from last month.

#4 4 years ago

I had a problem with one of the Rottendog power supply boards in a High Speed. It was only a couple of months old and blew some filter capacitors already. That might be what happened in the power supply section of your DMD board. If you have a capacitor tester, it might be worth checking some caps on that board.

#6 4 years ago

I got my RD WPC power driver board back from a factory repair today. It had bad transistors from new.
    100$ worth of shipping and duty on my end for the privilege!

I put it in a different game that is flawlessly working for years to make sure everything is OK on my end.
    Guess what, it had a shorted open transistor at least (instead of 2 shorted on when I bought it) and it blows F105 like it did before.

Is it too much to ask that when I spend this kind of money that I get something that works? Sorry for the rant but man am I upset.

0/2 with their products and I'm basically at their mercy if they will do anything about it.

I need to find someone able to repair my original boards...

#7 4 years ago

Email Brent at
    [email protected]

Hes in ontario and does board repairs. Original or rottendog.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

I got my RD WPC power driver board back from a factory repair today. It had bad transistors from new.
    100$ worth of shipping and duty on my end for the privilege!
    I put it in a different game that is flawlessly working for years to make sure everything is OK on my end.
    Guess what, it had a shorted open transistor at least (instead of 2 shorted on when I bought it) and it blows F105 like it did before.
    Is it too much to ask that when I spend this kind of money that I get something that works? Sorry for the rant but man am I upset.
    0/2 with their products and I'm basically at their mercy if they will do anything about it.
    I need to find someone able to repair my original boards...

I feel your pain. Get your money back (you'll still be out that shipping cost) and find original boards instead, you'll be glad you did.

John

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Email Brent at
    [email protected]
    Hes in ontario and does board repairs. Original or rottendog.

Thanks man,
    I sent him an email.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Astill:

He is simply the best

Hope it was ok posting his info here.

#12 4 years ago

That guy sent a wonderfully throughout email and I'll be sending them off to him for repairs.

RD got back to me and seems willing to refund my costs. Too bad it didn't work out. We need companies like that to keep these large ticket devices from being boat anchors.

Hopefully I am an exception with the bad luck.

#13 4 years ago

RD offered to refund all your shipping cost too??

John

#14 4 years ago

unsure at this point. Email was a little sparse.
    Playdiumstore store where I bought it refuses to help or refund on any electronics. Not good for a company that basically sells electronics. Hopefully my new MM doesn't have any issues....

1 week later
    #15 4 years ago

Been a few weeks now. I've stopped getting responses from email and have not received any refund from RD....
    Starting to get pissed. I'm over 700 CAN in the hole from them.

#16 4 years ago

Get rid of the rotten dog power driver board and get an original board. Trust me. I bought one for my white water game a while back and when I put it in I had different issues than I had before. I talked to them and sent it back three times and had different problems every time I got it back. Those boards just do not work in a white water. Maybe they work in other games I don’t know. It did not work for me. Good luck!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

Been a few weeks now. I've stopped getting responses from email and have not received any refund from RD....
    Starting to get pissed. I'm over 700 CAN in the hole from them.

Time to do a charge back and be done with it.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Get rid of the rotten dog power driver board and get an original board. Trust me. I bought one for my white water game a while back and when I put it in I had different issues than I had before. I talked to them and sent it back three times and had different problems every time I got it back. Those boards just do not work in a white water. Maybe they work in other games I don’t know. It did not work for me. Good luck!

Same experience. I got it back and put it in a 100% working machine(STTNG) first to rule out an issue on my end. It had a different dead transistor this time then started blowing F105. Its not just whitewater.

As far as a charge back it might be too late. Also I got it from playdium who I'm getting an MM from in a few weeks. Don't want to piss them off before I get it.

#19 4 years ago

Isn't Playdium also Player One Amusement Group?

#21 4 years ago

In my case, you could actually see the F105 fuse burn. I took a video of it I’ll have to see if I can find it.

#22 4 years ago

I got my original driver board repaired and knock on wood, no problem since.

#23 4 years ago

After repeated emails he refunded me for the low cost DMD board only...
    Still owes me over 500 bucks. If he doesn't pay what I'm owed I'm going start a new warning thread and bump once per month so others do not fall into this same situation. I'm not sending back the defective product until I'm whole.

#24 4 years ago

Got the remainder. Took some doing. All is good now.
    Get that company to repair my OEMs and I'll be back to where I should have started.

Thanks all.

#25 4 years ago

Well I am glad this was straightened out. I may need 600 usd or so in RD boards to fix a project.

I admit I was a little sad ordering them with this in the air.

#26 4 years ago

Thanks for the updates. I'll be steering clear of RottenDog products. This is not the first time I've seen poor reviews of their stuff.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

Same experience. I got it back and put it in a 100% working machine(STTNG) first to rule out an issue on my end. It had a different dead transistor this time then started blowing F105. Its not just whitewater.
    As far as a charge back it might be too late. Also I got it from playdium who I'm getting an MM from in a few weeks. Don't want to piss them off before I get it.

I’ve had pretty good luck so far.

I have an STNG that had multiple (original) boards die at once. Was blowing fuses left and right. No sound, etc. It was a mess. The power driver board had clearly been repaired multiple times and appeared to need it again.

I just said the hell with it and replaced all the boards with rotten dog boards. Added a colordmd and pinsound+ with shaker while I was at it.

Next to nothing in the back box is original but the table runs like a champ now.

Maybe rotten dog got a bad batch of components. But I’ve have great luck woth them so far. (About 3 months). We’ll see if I change my tune in ten years.

I’m really pushing this table past what it was ever intended and happy so far with it.
    9251CFCA-3F52-4D3E-9586-52CE5CFC28AA (resized).jpeg9251CFCA-3F52-4D3E-9586-52CE5CFC28AA (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-rottendog-issues?hl=dashv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.