Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

As you know I have fixed my machine from being technically destroyed to something decent, lately everything was going well the machine served everything, a month ago I started to see that a line of 8 bulbs was starting to fail, I knew quickly which Tip42 it corresponded to quick change it, this did not fix the problem, I had to change the 2n6427when I changed it the line of lights worked normal for a while, then it turned off again, I thought it was the connector that connector is already something old but when testing that everything was fine in a matter of cable and connection (I checked this with a voltmeter) it seemed strange to me that this failed, I thought this happened when you changed old components for new ones, something like that I thought like it had to adapt to the card or I don't know , that problem appeared suddenly the occasion was very random, I thought it would be something that would only be solved, yesterday I took out the main cards that are the MPU and drivers to give them cleaning maintenance verify that everything was correct, no track crossed with another, some bad welding or cracking, and then put them back in place.
At the time of turning on the machine, a line of 8 bulbs began to fail, it is to be specific is the one that goes from the bonus 1000 to the bonus 8000 in my firepower II machine These spotlights began to light up, they continued to perform their display function I knew it was bad that they would light up like this, because they would cause them to blow or a fuse would be blown.
Check if the transformer was good, indeed it is, what I think may be is that the PIA circuit of lamps is already failing, because the line of bulbs that are failing I had previously put a new Tip42, a new resistor and even a new transistor, if I can't find the 2n6427 I put a 2n3904,I do not know if that is why they have failed, although that transistor had been working for a week and lit everything very well, so I do not know what it can be, does anyone know how to help? I find it strange that the connectors are correct but that certain lines of lights are suddenly disconnected, so what solution is there?

#2 3 years ago

This is what seems strange to me, which causes some lines of eight lights to disconnect and connect randomly in the machine, if it is not a connector or bad contact

#3 3 years ago

Sounds like you've checked and replaced pretty much everything. Have you tried a different PIA? Could have been coincidence that changing those two transistors had an effect.

I've seen PIAs that function normally when "cold" but as they warm up they start to fail. Technically, the bulbs in the lamp matrix are never fully on for extended periods of time. Also, only one bulb in that matrix is given power at any one time.. Because of this, the power to the bulbs in the matrix is much higher than usually required. This is to get the bulb bright enough to light, but not enough to blow. You probably already know this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

So if your row/column goes dim/dead, or opposingly, bright/burned out, and you've changed the two transistors associated with that line, its a good indication that a pin on the PIA is failing.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Parece que lo ha revisado y reemplazado prácticamente todo. ¿Has probado un PIA diferente? Podría haber sido una coincidencia que cambiar esos dos transistores tuviera algún efecto.
He visto PIA que funcionan normalmente cuando están "fríos", pero a medida que se calientan comienzan a fallar. Técnicamente, las bombillas de la matriz de la lámpara nunca están completamente encendidas durante períodos de tiempo prolongados. Además, solo una bombilla en esa matriz recibe energía en un momento dado. Debido a esto, la energía de las bombillas en la matriz es mucho mayor de lo que normalmente se requiere. Esto es para que la bombilla brille lo suficiente como para encenderse, pero no lo suficiente como para quemar. Probablemente ya lo sepas, pero pensé en mencionarlo de todos modos.
Entonces, si su fila / columna se atenúa / muere, o al contrario, se ilumina / quema, y ​​ha cambiado los dos transistores asociados con esa línea, es una buena indicación de que un pin en el PIA está fallando.

I just solved the problem, if it was the transistor but I don't see why not change the PIA, do you know what number it is?I also saw that the connector if it is failing the same, will you also know where can I get it?

#5 3 years ago

The PIA is a 6821. Pinball life may have connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-problems-in-firepower-ii?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.