(Topic ID: 143468)

More powerful Bumpers: Switching to DC Unwinding some wire ?

By rolf_martin_062

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heatwave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 3 years ago

I have used all four techniques (hi-tap, unwinding wire, PBR jacked up coils and bridge-rectifier) on various games. In my limited experience:

1) Hi-tap made the least (but still noticeable) difference but is the easiest to do or undo and gives a little more ooomph to kickers, flippers, etc at the same time.

2) Unwinding 3 rows made a more noticeable difference and as stashyboy said, if you are careful cutting the paper, no can notice.

3) PBR jacked up coils were similar to unwinding (with less work but more cost) and also made a clear difference.

4) Adding DC bridge rectifiers (which I would get from Radio Shack before the closed them all by me) made the most difference such that you could actually feel it through you fingertips on the game! (not a shock but just a more solid fee). Only downside is it takes much more soldering, I had to buy the rectifiers and it is a bit of a spaghetti nest under the hood. However, I did it on the five pop bumper on my '64 Williams Heat Wave and it really flies!

All of this is after rebuilding the pops (or flippers), cleaning everything etc, not a shortcut. I'm kind of with EMsInKC, I like a faster game and all of these are reversible if you want. It is important to factor in the playfield layout. For example, on my Sing Along, I felt like the pop bumpers are so close to the side rollovers that I was worried it would radically change the play of the game so I did nothing but Hi-tap the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Glasgow, KY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 24.00
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heatwave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside