(Topic ID: 143468)

More powerful Bumpers: Switching to DC Unwinding some wire ?

By rolf_martin_062

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 8 years ago

I'm always amused at the resistance to hi tapping a game. Talk about an easily reversed mod...

#13 8 years ago

It just makes the games play faster. Clay does it with most of his EMs, so he says, and I have done it and I like what it does for the game. And for the record, this is on games that have been totally rebuilt and function just fine, just not quite as fast as what I would like.

Of course, it's generally not necessary on Williams games of the 70s with the DC power, but it does liven up earlier games.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

We've been down this path before. My main objection to high-tapping is that it increases the voltage (force) on everything in the game (not the lamps in *most* cases) . If high-tap only increased voltage to the gameplay components, I wouldn't be so averse to doing it. It seems that some believe that changing the transformer tap will magically overcome gummy and worn components and make a game play like new again when in fact you're only doing harm to the game. Just about every modern home environment has adequate line voltage, making the intended purpose of high-tapping irrelevant. I've been to shows where because of the load on the electrical power supply, EM games play sluggishly, and some early SS games won't boot up or have flickering displays and such. In those cases, yes, change to high-tap.

And increasing the voltage by maybe two volts to all the 24v components is bad, how? How exactly are you "doing harm" to the game? And why do you assume people do this instead of rebuilding everything first?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-powerful-bumpers-switching-to-dc-unwinding-some-wire?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.