(Topic ID: 287293)

More power in Stern flipper (SimpsonsPP)

By killerrobots

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0206211038_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a Simpsons PP and on the upper playfield there are two small flippers. One (slightly larger) flipper pushes it into the TV and the other smallest flipper hits it up a the ramp for the couch shot. I have rebuild the flippers and overall the game is in great shape. However, the couch shot off the very smallest flipper is tough and usually doesn't make it all the way up the ramp. I can make it 1 in 5 times but my wife never makes it and won't play the game because it is so frustrating. I think this is simply the way the game is designed. I have tried adjusting the angle of the flipper but there isn't really much adjustment and it didn't seem to make a difference.

The coil on the larger upper playfield flipper is slightly larger than the other one. Is there any issues if I order the larger one and replace the smallest flipper coil to give it just a little more power?

#2 3 years ago

I don't see why not. As long as everything is adjusted properly and the shot still won't clear the ramp, you wouldn't be out much but the cost of a coil and some time.

That shot is notoriously borderline as to whether or not the ball can make it up the ramp. You have to hit it just perfect, but if you don't it typically gets rejected.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks, I am going to try it.

#4 3 years ago

Check the ramp that leads from the flipper to the couch. On mine, the two small screws that hold the ramp flap to the mini pf were so tight it pulled the ramp down, so the ramp and flap were not a smooth, even surface for the ball to roll on. I loosened them until they just hold the flap and ramp in place and the path for the ball is smoother. Also look at the posts near the ramp flap and use smaller post sleeves for more clearance. Check the stainless steel wall guide on the right side of the ramp to be sure is smoothly guides the ball into the ramp curve.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Check the ramp that leads from the flipper to the couch. On mine, the two small screws that hold the ramp flap to the mini pf were so tight it pulled the ramp down, so the ramp and flap were not a smooth, even surface for the ball to roll on. I loosened them until they just hold the flap and ramp in place and the path for the ball is smoother. Also look at the posts near the ramp flap and use smaller post sleeves for more clearance. Check the stainless steel wall guide on the right side of the ramp to be sure is smoothly guides the ball into the ramp curve.

Thanks, I will check that out.

#6 3 years ago

No wear or other weirdness up there but I did loosen the screws to raise the front of the ramp a little. I was skeptical that would make much of a difference but actually it does seem better. I am it is probably going up 50% of the time for me. We will see what my wife says.

Thanks for the advice.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Thanks, I will check that out.

Also, make sure the ball gate going to the upper couch is free and not hitting any wires when the ball passes through it. It is tight up there, and I have seen that gate reject shots.

One last thing, I pitch my games really steep and I can make that shot without issue- if you wait until the very end and shoot basically from the tip of the flipper. The two upper flippers on this game have very unique shot timings/sweet spots.

#8 3 years ago

Do you know what angle you are at? I just checked and I am at exactly 6.0 and the bubble is dead center. Since the ramp is perpendicular to the playfield I didn't think angling it would help.

#9 3 years ago

Do you know what angle you are at? I just checked and I am at exactly 6.0 and the bubble is dead center. Since the ramp is perpendicular to the playfield I didn't think angling it would help.

Probably close to 8 or 9 to be honest....

I have had 8 TSPPs over the years... All similar in behavior, those right flippers are unique.

One other thing to check... Those long plastic tubes under the mini flippers wear out over time... Is your clearance from the flipper still good above the mini playfield?

#10 3 years ago

It's not the playfield angle... Steeper pitched games need more flipper strength. I was using that as a reference that even with a steeper pitch, I don't experience issues.

Try practicing waiting until the ball is almost off the flipper and then shooting. Sounds like a timing issue more than anything.

#11 3 years ago

Wow that is steep. That must make it play a lot faster.

There is no wear and I just rebuilt the flipper. I was fortunate to get a HUO game from the original owner and it only has 1800 plays. It pretty much looks brand new.

I did replace the post sleeve with a thin piece of heat shrink. I don't have any thinner sleeves on hand. Doesn't seem like a high force area so I think it should be fine.

I know the timing is critical and sometimes I just miss the shot for sure but often it seems right on target and only goes up about 3/4 of the way and comes back down. I was actually okay with it being a tough shot but as I said wife just won't play it because of this shot and I wanted to try and get it playable for her.

0206211038_HDR (resized).jpg0206211038_HDR (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

Wow that is steep. That must make it play a lot faster.
There is no wear and I just rebuilt the flipper. I was fortunate to get a HUO game from the original owner and it only has 1800 plays. It pretty much looks brand new.
I did replace the post sleeve with a thin piece of heat shrink. I don't have any thinner sleeves on hand. Doesn't seem like a high force area so I think it should be fine.
I know the timing is critical and sometimes I just miss the shot for sure but often it seems right on target and only goes up about 3/4 of the way and comes back down. I was actually okay with it being a tough shot but as I said wife just won't play it because of this shot and I wanted to try and get it playable for her.[quoted image]

Just out of curiosity... Take the little gate out (pretty easy to push inwards and get it to come out) and see if your results are similar. If you find it is a lot cleaner, the gate may be robbing momentum. You can adjust the bend on the gate switch to lessen the force a bit and still register.

#13 3 years ago

I played with the gate and it seems very free. I just finished putting it back together and will put some plays on it and see how it goes. It does seem a little better already.

BTW, why did you own so many TSPPs? You must have been routing them I am guessing.

#14 3 years ago

Is the switch critical for game play or is it just a callout trigger? Seems like the ball will register in the couch in any case.

#15 3 years ago

Forgot to mention to wax the heck out of the mini pf and the ramp and flap. Make sure the flipper rubber is in good shape and clean.

#16 3 years ago

Is the switch critical for game play or is it just a callout trigger? Seems like the ball will register in the couch in any case.

I believe it is critical for the four way combo, but am not 100%. I think the machine looks for that with a subsequent trigger of a ball landing in a couch to denote a successful make.

I was buying them in bulk from Chuck E. Cheese. I was buying those and Pirates and working with a seller with a direct line to Chuck E Cheese warehouse.

I wanted a good deal on one for myself, and was paying it forward on the rest, but I had to buy all of them to make it happen.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Forgot to mention to wax the heck out of the mini pf and the ramp and flap. Make sure the flipper rubber is in good shape and clean.

This is great advice too. Keep it as slick as possible.

If you still have issues, you can buy some weatherstrip foam and cut it down to size and put it under the flap, just behind the entrance flap, but still in the playfield recess. This will make the transition very smooth, and most likely take care of it.

Williams did this by default on a lot of their machines.

#18 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I just did a playthrough and hit it 80% of the time so it seems to have improved. My wife is going to try it out and see if it works for her.

#19 3 years ago

Wife hit it 3/4 times so she is happy. Thanks, it seems those little tweaks did the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 218.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-power-in-stern-flipper-simpsonspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.