(Topic ID: 260459)

More Police Force problems (underpowered? sound sync issues, etc)

By Geetarslinga

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

Hey folks,

Thanks for everyone's help on this pin thus far. Started a new thread because I'm experiencing entirely new problems now, but for the sake of recap, here's my previous post on this pin regarding the playfield hole solenoid not firing (which was fixed by replacing a few bad parts on the CPU board).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-hole-won-t-eject-on-police-force

However, the new issue (which may still stem from other unresolved issues) is this:

The best description I can think of is that the machine needs time to 'warm up'. Literally, when I turn it on, the alphanumeric display will only show one or two characters, and as 10-15 minutes pass, more characters slowly start to fade in until the display is fully readable. One of the relays behind the translite also fires non-stop for a few minutes (sounds like a loud buzz) and then finally stops making noise after about 5 minutes. Also, none of the solenoids work if you try to start a game right away after booting up (the flippers don't move and the ball won't eject into the shooter lane). The playfield lights all turn on as per normal when booting up, but (maybe it's just me) they seem ever-so-slightly dimmer? Lastly, the sound is all out of sync during gameplay (and occasionally even cuts out for a second).

I read somewhere in a different thread that someone changed the sound chip on the CPU of their Williams System 11B and it resolved the sound problem, but I'm thinking this issue is just one of many symptoms related to the other ones I've described?

Any System 11B wizards that could hazard a guess as to what's going on? The weird part is, after about 15 minutes of 'warming up', the machine seems to play properly (minus the audio sync issues which remain present). I'm guessing the 'warm up' time allows cold circuit connections to warm up and complete a circuit or something bizarre? Grumpy helped me trouble shoot the power board on the last thread and we determined the power board isn't likely the issue?

I'm stumped. I can provide video footage of some of the symptoms if it would help.

Thank you everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside