Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Local operator told me how, guys who had t-shirts made with his companies logo were going into truck stops and bars and rolling out Pinballs and hauling them away. Saying they were being repaired or swapped out.

Locations sometimes didnt say anything until op was in for his next collection and machines were gone!

So watch out route operators

#2 11 years ago

Muther F'in bassstrds.......Thieves need to be executed, start cutting limbs off and they will stop.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Benepinballs:

Local operator told me how, guys who had t-shirts made with his companies logo were going into truck stops and bars and rolling out Pinballs and hauling them away. Saying they were being repaired or swapped out.
    Locations sometimes didnt say anything until op was in for his next collection and machines were gone!
    So watch out route operators

I remember someone stole a soda vending machine from a gas station i worked for years back, the crazy SOB even cut the cord with power going through it.
    Too bad he did not get electrocuted

It would be cool if you could bolt a lock down device to the floor with a key but i dont think anyone would like holes in their floors.

Another option would be a lojack device like they put in cars if they ever get stolen then trace them to where they are let the police arrest them.

#4 11 years ago

I remember buying a pin of location where some dirt ball broke through the sub hole and was trying to get the coin box.

#5 11 years ago

Bummer to hear about this theft, but thanks for letting us be aware of stuff like this.

#6 11 years ago

Crazy stuff, an alarm and cameras are my friend, that's all I gotta say. Who would want a felony for a pinball machine, such a small group, they will eventually be found.

#7 11 years ago

You'd think that there are easier things to steal....I guess to each his own....

I have my games on the second floor of my house....the only way people are walking away with them is by taking the head off....

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Muther F'in bassstrds.......Thieves need to be executed, start cutting limbs off and they will stop.

Thread could soon turn political .

#9 11 years ago

Actually, that's how some ATMs are secured. They can be bolted into the concrete floor. They also make them ridiculously heavy so you can't haul them off easily. There was an ATM I worked with once that had a base that was separate from the rest of the unit in the sense that it strictly served as a weight.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I have my games on the second floor of my house....the only way people are walking away with them is by taking the head off....

People ask me if I worry about my games being stolen. I just say "if someone wants them bad enough to break in - I have sirens, cameras, attack dogs (see picture) - and then wants to carry 250 pound things through a weird hallway and load them in a truck... well then I guess they really wanted them."

There would be more money in stealing cars. However, cars must be registered and have VINs on most parts.

#11 11 years ago

I have heard the stories of people walking into bars with a clipboard and saying they were there to pickup the pinball machine(s) for servicing. It makes sense because most pinball machines in bars really need servicing and the poor people that work there probably hear (it took my money, blah doesn't work, etc) all the time.

#12 11 years ago

GPS device mounted inside the machine is a great idea.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcadegarage:

Actually, that's how some ATMs are secured. They can be bolted into the concrete floor. They also make them ridiculously heavy so you can't haul them off easily. There was an ATM I worked with once that had a base that was separate from the rest of the unit in the sense that it strictly served as a weight.

Back a tow truck up through the store front, wrap a chain around it. Off you go with $3K in cash.

Check YouTube or Live Leaks to see how it's done. Happens a lot.

LTG : )

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from sirrob:

GPS device mounted inside the machine is a great idea.

Maybe catch a few dumb ones.

People who do this for a living already thought of it before you did.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Back a tow truck up through the store front, wrap a chain around it. Off you go with $3K in cash.
    Check YouTube or Live Leaks to see how it's done. Happens a lot.

The ones in high traffic bank branch loCatiONs have 2-300k in cash at the beginning of holiday weekends. Most are wall mounted but a few of the giant drive-up ones have been known to get pulled off of foundations by a large truck with a chain wrapped around the machine.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Maybe catch a few dumb ones.
    People who do this for a living already thought of it before you did.

Well, if you can hide it in a inconspicuous place, like maybe hollow out a small part of the frame of the backbox, and place it in there. Who knows, most criminals are dumb, anyway.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from sirrob:

Well, if you can hide it in a inconspicuous place, like maybe hollow out a small part of the frame of the backbox, and place it in there. Who knows, most criminals are dumb, anyway.

This is what they do for a living. If you thought of it, they already have.

Same with hiding valuables around your house. If you thought of the perfect place, they already have too.

Most criminals aren't dumb. The ones in jail are. The ones never caught are the smart ones. And the average person will never be one step ahead of them. Their only chance is to make themselves a little bit harder to get, than the person next door.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This is what they do for a living. If you thought of it, they already have.
    Same with hiding valuables around your house. If you thought of the perfect place, they already have too.
    Most criminals aren't dumb. The ones in jail are. The ones never caught are the smart ones. And the average person will never be one step ahead of them. Their only chance is to make themselves a little bit harder to get, than the person next door.

I think he's talking about the ones you see on the stupid criminal programs

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I think he's talking about the ones you see on the stupid criminal programs

Most likely.

You don't see the smart ones.

#20 11 years ago

Might be a good reason to install the TV mod to a TAF or TZ....to hide the GPS beacon in there. Actually, now that I think about it, there are a lot of good places to hide a GPS beacon in a lot of pinball machines. They are pretty small nowadays. Hell, if they can fit one on a dog collar, it can fit in the open space under the plastics of a LOT of areas on a lot of pins.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-pinball-thieves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.