• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by sraasch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

player unit trouble (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatnik-filmstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

Went through getting a Big Deal up and running a few months back and had an issue with the same stepper.

What finally got it 90% of the way there - cleaning it up and lubing the contacts.
The final bit - replacing the ancient metal coil sleeve. Surprising at what a difference it made.

In case anything in there helps out - here's an old thread that I had running while getting the machine going.

Good luck - it's a pretty decent EM in my book. Broke 1,000,000 for the first time recently. Felt pretty good. Double and max that bonus, then chase the extra ball. Seemingly simple, but so challenging at times.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from sraasch:

beatnik-filmstar: Can you elaborate on the bit about replacing the metal coil sleeve? Your link to that old thread didn't post.

My mistake. Forgot to paste it in.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-big-deal-1977-score-reels-not-resetting

With regards to the issue that I was having - I had taken the bakelite plate off the stepper, cleaned it up, lubed it, etc. Pulled springs, made sure things werent gummed up and put it back together. Things seemed to work by hand just fine, but the stepped wasn't advancing right. It would go from player 1 to 2 just fine, but then not be strong enough to go from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4. Replacing the 40 year old metal sleeve did the trick.

Quite possibly not related (I'm just some guy that got a single EM up and running a few months ago.) but... you mention that the coil moves slightly, but not enough to move the actuator.

The final issue I had involved a score reel that wasn't working right. The coil for it would move slightly, but not pull in the arm to ratchet the wheel up. Caught the behaviour with some slo mo on my phone.

Turned out to be a switch on the 100 point relay that wasn't clean enough. Wild ass guess, but maybe check the switch that send the signal to the stepper telling it to advance? And as I write that, I see belbs316 saying something similar, as well as telling you where it is. Check that video - if that looks like the behavior you're seeing, I'd bet that belbs316 has pointed you in the right direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 89.99
Apparel - Unisex
PinShades
Unisex
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatnik-filmstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-newbie-questions-weak-stepper-coil?tu=beatnik-filmstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.